Formula Feeding

Switched from bf to ff

just curious as to how many of you started breastfeeding and switched to formula feeding and the reason you did so (if you feel like sharing)?

My dd will be 6 weeks tomorrow. I nursed for 2 weeks, was a stressed out mess, so I've been pumping and supplementing since. I don't have a great supply (which is probably my fault from not pumping as much as I should have) and therefore pumping often leaves me stressed and frustrated as well. My goal was for her to get some breastmilk for at least 6 weeks so I think I'm going to throw in the towel tomorrow and go to exclusively ff. I now wish I would have just ff from the beginning because I'm making myself feel very guilty for giving up so quickly and easily. I said through my whole pregnancy that I would try bf but if it didn't work out, it didn't work out. I really have no strong feelings about bf or ff for that matter but I just feel like I'm letting my dd down or something

Re: Switched from bf to ff

• I am in the same boat. I have been bf for 3 weeks and am just exhausted and I don't think my supply is enough for her. When I pump I barely get anything. I am going back and forth on what to do but I think in the next few days I may make the transition to formula. Interested to see what other people have to say.
  • I started bf and did so for 5 1/2 months. I wanted to do so for 6 months but LO had food allergies and we had to stop. It was close enough to the 6 month mark.

Stress can totally effect your supply! Relax and only think about you LO or look at pictures of him or her while your pumping. It'll help you relax and over a couple of days you might see your supply increase.

If you want to stop, then stop. You've done what you can and you're not letting anyone down.

Good luck!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I BFed my LO till 9m (well, pumped to be exact, for the last few months) and I just feel tired of it so I'm weaning her to formula.
  • I don't have a baby yet, just newly pregnant, but I want to say you should never feel bad or guilty. Formula is still great for babies and as long as you have a happy and healthy baby, it doesn't matter if you breastfeed or formula feed. You have to do what's best for baby but also what's best for your own mental sanity.
  • I stopped at 2 months. I was a stress case, baby constantly nursed, always felt asleep on the boob, and nipples were still hurting at 2 months.  The experience was so traumatizing.  I experienced all the emotions you are referring too.  But we were both happy campers once I switched.  He is a healthy 7 month old, that is very advanced. Formula and love is all he needed.  BTW, he was 9lbs.

Three ectopic preganacies in left tube in 1999, 2003 and 2004. HSG in 2010 concluded left tube blockage. IUI with femara in 2012 BFN. IVF #1 June 2013, 20 retreived, 14 mature, 12 fertilized via ICSI, one transferred, four frozen, BFN.  FET in September 2013 - BFN:( FET #2 April 2014 - BFP!!!!

Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God,the Maker of all things. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Ecclesiastes 11 4:5  

BabyFruit Ticker

• I completely understand how your feeling!! I gave birth to my baby girl 5 weeks early, and because of that she was in the NICU for a couple of days and they started FF her right away. I wanted to try breast feeding but because she was a preemie her sucking skills haven't been the greatest. So I've been pumping and formula feeding as top up! It's only been 10 days since she's been born and I'm already over this pumping business!!! It's bad enough that I have to make sure my daughter eats every 3 hours, but taking another 30-45 mins to pump after every feeding has taken a lot out of me! My SO and his mother are very pro breast feeding and I know they will give me a hard time when I tell them I was to exclusively FF her! In my opinion ur not letting ur baby down, you are just making sure your baby is fed and there is nothing wrong with that!! Easier said then done because I don't know how I'll talk to my SO about it! Lol
  • I nursed for 15 weeks. I started supplementing around the 2-3 week mark. When I pumped, I barely got .5-1 ounces (which I hear is normal). But my daughter ended up getting RSV at afterwards, she didn't nurse the same because it was hard for her to breathe. Then I got sick and also got a staph infection. I am a diabetic so it generally takes me 3-4 times longer to get over something simple. I took two rounds of a "safe" drug but after the third time, my doctor said I really needed something heavy duty. So at 15 weeks, we started strictly using formula. I have no regrets. I surpassed my original goals.