Babies: 0 - 3 Months

help! my 3 wk old baby don't like sleeping on his back.

I am a first time mom and since the baby came home he just don't like sleeping on his back. We tried the pack and play for a while and the bouncer and nothing. I know that at the hospotal he was sleeping on his back and that All the resources advice against sleeping on his tummy this early but after rocking him to sleep and putting him down for naps during the day if he is on his back the nap will last 15 minutes or less. If I put him on his tummy, and then continously check on him, his naps last longer and he only wakes up for feeding. At night is a total struggle for me and hubby, we think it will get better with time but I am worried that he won't sleep otherwise and something might happen during night time, so we co-sleep at night right now. Any advice?

Re: help! my 3 wk old baby don't like sleeping on his back.

• Is he showing any signs of reflux? Unlatching and crying while feeding, etc? DD has severe reflux and would do the same thing before we got her on zantac to ease the pain. You may also want to try a rock and play or bassinet that is slightly angled so that he isn't flat on his back...many newborns won't sleep flat in their backs but are ok if they're at a slight incline.
  • Also, depending on his size, look into Merlins Magic Sleep Suit.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS hated being on his back flat in his crib the first week we were home from the hospital, but he loved being in the Rock 'n Play.  And then we just eased into doing naps during the day on his back in the crib, and now he'll easily sleep at an incline on his back, flat on his back or on my husband (for naps).  But I would have cried without the Rock 'n Play for night sleep, so maybe try that out to see if it helps. 
  • This is normal. Hardly any babies like sleeping on their back but it really is safer. Of course he will sleep well on his tummy, he can't jerk himself awake that way but again, it's not safe at this age.

Get a rock n play or something with an incline. Swaddle him or try a swing. I would keep putting him on his back as long as you can.

• You can try letting him sleep on his side, just keep his bottom arm out in front of him and he won't be able to roll over. My LO started sleeping on her side day 4.
  • Thank you all, I have a bouncer and the first few days he was ok on it, now he only last 5 minutes before the cry. I do try the naps on his back and he wakes up quickly and don't like to be swaddled. I got a cranky one! But I will insist in trying. Again thank you all.
  • My DD was the same 2weeks after my husband and I when she came home. We both realize she sleeps alot better on her tummy. As a first time mom I was scared of the whole Idea. She is now 2days away from being 2months. She been sleeping on her tummy since 3weeks. I have no problems and she get all her rest. i love it and its works cause she is in I'll room in her crib so I always check on her. The reason I let this happen because she learn how to turn her own head at 2weeks.
  • Mine turn his head by himself too... this makes me feel a lot better knowing it. Thanks Briana!
  • I have had DS sleeping on his belly from the day we got home from the hospital. He's been turning his head so easily that I've never worried about putting him to sleep at night on his belly. He sleeps 5-7 hours a night and usually only wakes up to feed once per night. He's 9 weeks old. I don't have anything in his bed and his mattress is super firm.
  • My daughter is 6 weeks and she has never slept on her back. She likes sleeping on her side or propped up with the boppy. Has been that since we brought her home. I am a first time mom too.
  • lovehorse77lovehorse77 member
    edited September 2015
    The ability to turn their heads has no impact on the dangers of sleeping on their stomachs. Also, the boppy has warnings about not allowing children to use them for sleep. You really are increasing the risk for SIDS by allowing babies to sleep on their stomachs. Hopefully that does not happen, I would not wish that tragedy on anyone. :-/
  • The ability to turn their heads has no impact on the dangers of sleeping on their stomachs. Also, the boppy has warnings about not allowing children to use them for sleep. You really are increasing the risk for SIDS by allowing babies to sleep on their stomachs. Hopefully that does not happen, I would not wish that tragedy on anyone. :-/

Exactly. Young babies can fall into a deep enough sleep that they don't even realize they are smothering themselves and will suffocate that way. Not worth it for a little bit of sleep.
  • My daughter likes to sleep on her side, she has since she was born. Probably
    Because I always slept on my side when I was pregnant lol. Now that she's 7 weeks she'll sleep on her back
    If she's all the way asleep, but other than that she'd rather be on her side.
  • My daughter is the same way as @andrews301 - she's a side sleeper and since day 1 will roll herself onto her side if placed on her back.  She's not able to roll herself all the way over to her stomach, so I let her stay on her side.
  • My anxiety is in overdrive for those of you who let your babes sleep propped on Boppys or on their bellies for extended periods of time. Please, please, please do not let this happen unsupervised or through the night. The risks are far too great.