August 2015 Moms
Options

I caved!!

Last night lo was up every 30 minutes fussing and making a sucking motion so since I'm feeding on demand I nursed. Until about 5:30a when I KNEW she just couldn't be hungry since she kept falling asleep after 10 min of sucking. I desperately needed some sleep so I gave her a binky for the first time (7days old). It worked like a charm. I guess I had my mind set on not using one but have read a few good things about it. Thoughts?

Re: I caved!!

• Options
    I'm a FTM so I don't have a whole lot of experience but I did the same thing last week. Luckily our little guy doesn't rely on it to be happy. He normally self soothes but, if he gets really fussy (which is rare), the paci does the trick. After he calms down a little, I can pull it out without any problems. I was worried that it would affect his latch but it hasn't seemed to cause any problems. I guess only time will tell.
  • Options
    I'm 100% on board with anything that keeps you sane... We are also using one with our one week old. Didn't use one with our DD as she would never take it, and she was a friggin nightmare every night for a long, long time, so it would've been great if she would have. At any rate, we hope to manage our sanity better with this child, and to try not to think too much about the ramifications of any decisions we make (like using a binky) - we will deal with any resulting problems if/when they arise!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH and I caved 2 nights ago. After 2 hours of comfort nursing and then another 2 hours of crying and wanting to comfort nurse, I couldn't do it, my nipples were killing me. DH kind of made me (I was having an internal battle and he just made my mind up) and sent me to bed while he sat with DS. I cried the whole time he sat with him. Last night he got it again. I think he only uses it for an hour and then spits it out or drops it. So far it has not caused any issues with BFing. But we both agreed he's only getting it at night and only once I have given him all I can handle in comfort nursing.
  • Options
    ChanelLovesBChanelLovesB member
    edited August 2015
    I can't find one DS will take. I've tried Soothies, First years Gum something, Munchkin latch. All no Bueno! Which ones are working for you. After nursing for three hours straight I need a resolution. Only thing that's worked is my knuckle.
  • Options
    Our LO is 10 days old, but we are planning to introduce a pacifier after we talk to the pediatrician at his 2 week appointment on Wednesday. My nipples can't take the comfort nursing!

I've also started pumping to build up a milk supply so that when we his that 4-6 week mark DH can start helping!!
  • Options
    JNOVA2015 said:

Our LO is 10 days old, but we are planning to introduce a pacifier after we talk to the pediatrician at his 2 week appointment on Wednesday. My nipples can't take the comfort nursing!

I've also started pumping to build up a milk supply so that when we his that 4-6 week mark DH can start helping!!

Amen. I asked her pediatrician at our first week appointment. He didn't seem to mind/ care about the use of pacifier. (Even tho I was still set on not using one)

I'm pumping tiny bits here and there for the same reason.
  • Options
    catalinadlongcatalinadlong member
    edited August 2015
    My girl LOVES her pacifier & does't not have any confusion with it and breast feeding! If it helps them, I say go for it :)
  • Options
    Shoot my son had his passi the day he was born lol he loves to suck on things. Plus I pump and after he eats 4 oz no way he is hungry so when he starts sucking on his fingers or lips I pop his passi in and BAM! He is knocked out! My son likes the soothies.
  • Options
    I started from day one with pacifier. No issues at all. Do not feel like you caved or did something bad! My first only liked his until about 6 weeks. This babe doesn't really care for it but I still try when trying to soothe him and need a break. Glad to hear you were able to get a break!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We also use a pacifier and have had no issues with BFing. I find she can't use the soothies since they are too long and skinny so I got her nuks and mams and she keeps them in better.
  • Options
    Do what you need to!  You need rest and she needed to suck.  win/win situation.
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @ChanelLovesB we have been using Nuk. Haven't tried anything else, thank god he took it because I think that's the only brand we got at our shower and had handy!
  • Options
    We have been using the first years gumdrop since ds was a day old. He usnt crazy about it but will definitely take it if need be. I didnt want to useone either but i havent found it to cause latch issues yet. He cant really keep it in his mouth on his own so fortunately he doesnt cry for it at night when it falls out after 30 seconds!
    DS 8/13/15 
    Blessed  <3o:)
  • Options
    It's all about survival mode right now. You do what you've got to do!

• Options

I can't find one DS will take. I've tried Soothies, First years Gum something, Munchkin latch. All no Bueno! Which ones are working for you. After nursing for three hours straight I need a resolution. Only thing that's worked is my knuckle.

We use MAM newborn size. Everything else we tried just fell out of our little guy's mouth after a minute or two.
  • Options
    We started day 2 with both kids. No formula at all with either. No supply issues with DD1 and nursed till 18 months. This one gained 8.5 oz this past week so no issues here either. Soothies for both.
  • Options
    We caved over the weekend. LO is two weeks. Couldn't handle the comfort nursing.
  • Options
    My intention was not to use one to the point of her being hooked on it and so far I've stuck with that. I only give it to her when she's on the changing pad because she hates having her diaper changed and will scream like a mad woman.
  • Options
    DD is currently cluster feeding - such fun! And we use a pacifier sometimes and she has no confusion between breast and pacifier
  • Options
    We have tried a bunch of brands and Mam is the only one our son will take. He has no problems going from that to breast feeding. But he also has no problem going between bottle and breast feeding, so he may be an exception.
  • Options
    My baby is only 3 days old now but is relentless on her appetite. We talked to the nurses and lactation consultants and got mixed answers but we went ahead and tried the pacifier and she's doing just fine. She wouldn't sleep otherwise unless she was latched onto me. I'm not sure if it's the best answer but so far so good