3rd Trimester

Planned c section moms- help!?

i had a horrible experiance with my spinal/ epideral with my son, and ended up being put to sleep. I'm planning on another c- section. Now I'm making myself panic on whether I should try another spinal vs general anesthesia as with GA my husband won't be in there. Have you had any experience? Any help would make me feel better deciding!

Re: Planned c section moms- help!?

• ktynesktynes member
    I had a c section with my first child as well. I recommend trying to do the spinal again as you will be awake and be with your baby sooner. With GA you are out and can't be with the baby as quickly. It's worth a try at the very least. Good luck!!
  • I'd give the spinal a shot again also. I won't say it was fun (the girl doing it was in training and I ended up with some wicked pains shooting down my legs), but I can't imagine not being awake when my daughter was born. I also had no mental changes at all and was able to breastfeed within the hour. I don't know what your horrible experience was, but if it wasn't something likely to happen again, I'd definitely go that route.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well they poked 3 times and it didn't end up working because i had felt them cut. Which let to be being put under.
  • I'd try again if I were you. And FWIW I felt them cut too, but it didn't hurt. That is normal with a spinal. You can feel pressure essentially, but not pain if that makes sense. Like I felt the baby being lifted out and pushing/pulling as they were moving the baby around. Its just none of it actually hurt. Very strange, but I could see if being really alarming if you weren't expecting it. If you felt them cut though and it was painful then that is not normal and I definitely understand why you were put under. I don't really get why they didn't check you first though before they started cutting. :/
  • Yeah definitely felt pain. Not pressure! :((
  • I had the same thing happen where I felt the cut and ended up being put under. I was told to give the spinal a 2nd chance and ask for an experienced anestesiologist so that when the medicine where's off it doesn't hurt as bad as GA did when it wore off plus allowing my husband to be there is a plus. I actually suffer from PTSD from labor from my experience so they did recommend I get the cocktail with my spinal so that my heart can handle the stress but it's really mentally how you can handle it. If I have any other medical issues though they will put me to sleep because I did go into cardiac arrest from the stress and an infection I got while in labor with my son. Hope that helps good luck i have my scheduled csection 6/9.
  • @jaybri88 I am so sorry! I had a csection but the epidural took. Hoping the best for you this time!
  • My first c-section since it was emergency was the worst. I had horrible shakes with the spinal and could feel a lot of what was going on. Not sure if it was because I was already in labor and not moving on or not. My second c-section was amazing, I just felt the pressure that's normal. Actually, when they did the spinal, I made a comment that my son was moving all over the place. Plus, when my doctor cut me open, I remember everything she said, which, she came in contact with my son looking straight up at her. 

I am excited for this c-section because it was different. But I am delivery with a different doctor and a different hospital. I would try the spinal again. 
    Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 
  • That sounds terrible, I am sorry about your experience. I had a C-section the first time and the spinal worked so I am doing the same thing this time around. I wish you luck no matter what you decide.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first was horrible too, the epidural never worked. So, I ended up with a spinal, which did work. My 2nd and 3rd planned C-sections went so much easier with the spinal from the get go. This will be my 4th and final one. I would say try the spinal again. I am super scared of being put under though so I will try anything else first. Way more risks that route.
  • I ended up having the epidural way early with my first and they had to redoes me twice before they took me in for my c-section. But I was awake and able to see my daughter right after she was born. It made all the difference. I would suggest try it again. It really was wonderful seeing that baby right away.