Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Problem nursery space

groovylocksgroovylocks member
edited July 2015 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
So we have a bit of an issue. My husband and I currently live in a downtown, urban loft. 20 foot ceilings, 17 foot windows, the whole gamut. 

Except the bedrooms. The bedrooms have no windows. 

This was actually a selling feature for us when we moved in. My husband doesn't like morning light at all and i like how the nagging about light has stopped now that we've moved. We get all the light we want throughout the rest of the house. The bedrooms are legal for children since there are industrial fire systems in both rooms (hardcore multi-head sprinkler systems)

So the legalities aren't really an issue, at least according to the law as we and our landlords have presented it. 

The problem is... how the hell do you decorate a nursery like this? It's a very dark, steampunk room. Lots of pipes and vents running across the high ceiling and not much else. We can paint the room. We can lay a cute rug. We can even use the pipes to string flowers or fairy lights or whatever. But we just feel like it's not conducive to our child's first memories. 

NOTE: PLEASE don't tell us to "just move" - as I'm sure you're aware that leases don't work like that and right now we're not sure if we will have to move out of state for my work yet. So this post assumes we're staying here and need solutions for THIS SPACE, not solutions for a space we don't have. 

Re: Problem nursery space

• Options
    Use soft, neutral colours with layers of texture to create a cozy space. I think the juxtaposition of a super modern space decorated to be more "organic" and cozy would be really interesting. 

• Options
    BP1979BP1979 member
    I'd get lots of lamps to add extra light. And, maybe you could incorporate the industrial feel into the design? I'm thinking robots? Or industrial "Americana". Or maybe you could paint a mural using the pipes and stuff in the design? I'm thinking giraffes, elephants, etc. These may not be the best ideas, but it's all I've got right now. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    BP1979 said:

I'd get lots of lamps to add extra light. And, maybe you could incorporate the industrial feel into the design? I'm thinking robots? Or industrial "Americana". Or maybe you could paint a mural using the pipes and stuff in the design? I'm thinking giraffes, elephants, etc. These may not be the best ideas, but it's all I've got right now. Good luck!

We are going to stop fighting the space and start compromising with it. We're doing a steampunk, dr Seuss theme with a baby twist. Lots of paper lanterns, one in the shape of an airship. A cool mobile....

We'll make it happen :)
  • Options
    Would love to see pictures when it's all done! If that's something you and hubby don't mind sharing of course! @groovylocks :)