August 2015 Moms

Spinal Headache

I started developing one the day after my delivery from the epidural and it's the pure hell. I can't even get up and walk around with out either wanting to puke it faint and that obviously doesn't work with a 5 day old newborn. Anyone else experience this or have any advice? I know they can do a patch to try and help but I'm trying to avoid this. My mom actually had this same thing a few months ago from a spinal tap and it actually made her whole back go into spasms... We're just an unlucky bunch.

Re: Spinal Headache

• No advice but I hope you get some relief soon!!
  • Two of my good friends had this happen to them and they both had the patch and felt better instantaneously! Don't suffer if you don't have to!
  • Loading the player...
  • Two of my good friends had this happen to them and they both had the patch and felt better instantaneously! Don't suffer if you don't have to!

This! Get the patch! Feel better!
  • I was told the patch helps pretty much instantly also. I didn't end up with one, but I would be going for the patch if I needed it.
  • Any reason you're avoiding the patch? They work instantly and are very safe!
  • My mom recently got one about a month or two ago and ended up with insane back spasms. So bad 3 doses of dilaudid intravenously wouldn't touch it. I went to the ER tonight and the doctor said if he were me he would avoid it as well. It only works about 50% of the time and the spasms are A common side effect. Not to mention all the other risks like infection, etc. He gave me a cocktail of migraine meds through an IV and sent me home with a script for Fiorecet so I'm hoping this works. It has been absolutely miserable. I wouldn't wish a spinal headache on my worse enemy.
  • I had a spinal headache after I delivered my DD last month. I opted out of the blood patch when I was told it could heal on its own. I tried to lay down whenever baby was sleeping and introduced coffe back into my diet. The caffeine helps. I avoided the blood patch because I was in the hospital for three weeks at that point and just didn't want to undergo what would have been my 3rd surgery within weeks. Don't pick up anything heavy and stick to light activity. Good luck!
  • I had one after my spinal from my c section. I did a blood patch because having a newborn and recovering is hard enough without having a headache every time I sit or stand up! The blood patch is unpleasant but better than weeks of headaches. Also, my mom had a horrible spinal headache so that lasted nearly 3 months. No thanks.
  • Also caffeine does help if you really don't want the blood patch
  • I drank double espressos and laid down whenever possible. Also used some muscle relaxers. It got better. Thank goodness.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• edited August 2015
    I did the blood patch after trying meds. Still had a dull ache for a couple days, but heck of a lot better than the spinal headache.