Babies on the Brain
Options

Move closer to family or stay put?

1stTimelove1stTimelove member
edited August 2015 in Babies on the Brain
Hi there! Hubby and I are having our first baby! We are so excited. My family wants us to move out of the city and in the suburbs close to them for "support" once baby is born. I feel kinda bad because it's super far from where my hubby works. I will stay at home with our baby for awhile.

Did you move closer to your family for your baby's arrival? Or did you stay put, handling a newborn solo (with just hubby)? Which would you recommend?

Thanks,

1 happy but confused mom 2b

Re: Move closer to family or stay put?

• Options
    I agree that this should be a decision based on communication with you and your husband. Moving in general is a big decision. List pros and cons and consider the market in both locations.

I will say that living near most of our family is very nice and convenient, but my husband and I both switched jobs just to cut down the commute - I really don't like driving far before and after work.

Keep up the communication, friend!
  • Options
    The decision ultimately comes down to the reasons for the move (to please family only or??) and whether your DH is on the same page. The last thing you'd want to deal with is resentment for moving on top of dealing with longer commute times and a newborn baby! Lot's of stress. To counter, being close to family may also improve the work life balance. No one can answer this for you, it'll require some personal reflection and serious discussions with your husband. Personally, my husband and I moved out of state after college (8 hr drive), and recently moved back home to be closer to both of our families. Personally I really wanted to be nearby when it came time for us to have a baby.

Good luck with your decision though and it'll all end up working out whatever the decision is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's something for you to decide, but man I wish I lived closer... Having someone to help out and someone you can trust to watch your children is just invaluable...
  • Options
    @lovearoo that is very true! Having the ability to even do the simplest tasks makes it all worth it - grocery shopping alone with my husband just happened and it was the best!
  • Options

@lovearoo that is very true! Having the ability to even do the simplest tasks makes it all worth it - grocery shopping alone with my husband just happened and it was the best!

Exactly!!
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'm glad we live close to most of our parents, but close=45 min, which sounds like the range you are already in. Personally, I'd rather keep the commute short for DH so he is home longer in the evening.

We also live in a city, and our parents keep wanting us to move to the suburbs once pregnant because that's just "what people do." We don't plan to, though.