Trouble TTC
Options

Anyone here TTC with diet and exercise? (loss mentioned)

OsteoblasticOsteoblastic member
edited August 2015 in Trouble TTC
Hi all!

I notice most of the posts here have to do with Clomid, trigger shots, progesterone supplements, etc. and I was just curious if there are some women here who are still TTC without medication? I ask because I am currently trying (since 10/2013), and would love the support of others who are trying lifestyle changes first. (Nothing wrong with meds, I'll be trying that if this doesn't work after a few months!)

I was unofficially diagnosed PCOS because my hormones, thyroid, glucose and ultrasounds came back within normal ranges, but I have mild hirsutism and really long cycles (before the mc, they were 90 days). I weighed 190, My BMI was 30, body fat is 37%, and Vit D is low, even after a year of supplementing. I did take Metformin for 2 months and got a BFP, but bean stopped developing at 6w. After my mc, my cycles have been a lot better, especially during months that I exercise regularly (like 38 day cycles!).

Sooo... I finally decided to see a naturopath instead of my NP, who wanted to continue the Metformin despite normal glucose. The theory now is, since I'm mild PCOS, if I can raise my Vit D and get to about 170lb with diet and exercise, my cycles should be consistent and I'll know when I'm O'ing, so we can BD :) So I'm on 1750 calories, grain-free diet, and exercise 3-4x a week (and 20,000 IU Vit D). I just started June 23rd, and just had a pretty perfect chart and pos opk before AF (though cycle was still 48 days). I've also lost 6 pounds! So that gave me hope to keep going with the plan! Even though it's hard to sometimes, since it's been 2 years :/

Anyone else TTC with diet and exercise, and it didn't help? Anyone where it did help normalize things? Anyone currently trying this stuff? Am I crazy for trying this so late in the TTC game?!
Me(28) and Husband(39): 10/5/2013, TTC since 10/2013
Metformin 7/2014, BFP 8/14/2014, MC 11/1/2014
Dx: PCOS, cycles 38-72. As of 6/2015 trying to lose weight and fix cycles with diet and exercise!!

Re: Anyone here TTC with diet and exercise? (loss mentioned)

• Options
    Hi, I'm just a lurker but this is why I ventured into this board :) I want to do diet and exercise to regulate my cycles. 40-80 days. Thanks for asking this!

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yay! Thanks for reaching out :)
    Dx: PCOS, cycles 38-72. As of 6/2015 trying to lose weight and fix cycles with diet and exercise!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    GoldenKeysGoldenKeys admin
    edited August 2015
    I'm doing both, mostly because I've gained weight through treatment.  It's great that you're getting healthy now, because even if you have to turn to meds in the future, they'll work better if you're in an optimal weight range.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Options
    I don't have any pointed answer on this one, but exercising regularly definitely helped to make my cycles more regular. Typically (based on BBT) before I started exercising, I would O anywhere between day 17 and day 23 of my cycle and my LP was 13 days. After exercising, my cycle regulated to Oing mostly on day 15 and rarely on day 16 and extended my LP to 14 days. So, I strongly believe moderate exercise can help you out.

I wish you the best of luck and agree with @GoldenKeys that focusing on your health prior to taking fertility meds can definitely help. Getting into an exercise routine may also help set-off any weight gain side effects you may experience upon treatment. I've gained some weight since starting treatment.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    I've heard that in some cases diet can help regulate PCOS. lower stress levels can help too. Just moving from Los Angeles where I had over an hour commute each way and a high stress job to a much slower paced place with zero commute and same job but less stress, seems to have somewhat help regulate me. As regular as 40ish day cycles can be. I hate to admit that the low stress thing helped me because I HATED hearing that from everyone. I also didn't realize just how stressed I was.

I have also started eating a lot healthier because I feel I have more time to prepare whole food snacks and meals instead of relying on prepackaged foods. Low carb diets are the best for women who have PCOS. I've also read to cut out dairy but NO ONE is taking my cheese away. NO ONE!!!!!!!

• Options

I'm doing both, mostly because I've gained weight through treatment.  It's great that you're getting healthy now, because even if you have to turn to meds in the future, they'll work better if you're in an optimal weight range.

My thoughts exactly- If come October or November, things still don't look more regular, I'll take another look at the Metformin. But I figure since a higher BMI correlates with complications, getting below 30 or 25 certainly won't hurt anything :)

• Options
    CopperLane, I said the same thing about cheese when the naturopath gave me the diet plan! It's grain-free, and I just decided to do primal/paleo because it was more or less the same. But I was excited to see that, according to the outline she gave me, cheese counts as a protein, not a dairy!! Which is awesome, because we don't usually buy milk anyway :D  So right now I'm trying to do under 100g carbs, but I'm not as strict about that yet, until I get an insulin test results :-X
  • Options
    @Osteoblastic ok if cheese counts as a protein and not a dairy I'm in!!! We don't buy milk either. If I want milk for anything I make my own almond milk, which is surprisingly quick and easy.

Good luck with the new meal plan! It's so tough to switch over and I still struggle with it a lot.
  • Options
    I think it's great that your starting a healthy lifestyle!!! One of my coworkers had a child, then years and years passed and she couldn't get pregnant a second time. Turns out, she had a gluten intolerance. She changed her diet and within 3 months was pregnant and now has a baby boy! This may be a special circumstance, but my point is that diet can effect fertility, maybe not to such extremes as my coworker, but keep up your healthy habits. It can only help!!!!
  • Options
    I've tried to be more health-minded mostly because I feel so zapped after meal times. I've gone more low-carb, high protein, and I can definitely tell a difference in my energy level. Lets hope it is also helping in the baby making department!
    DX PCOS + mild male factor
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Current Treatment: Metformin, Provera, Letrozole, Trigger, IUI
    Past Treatment: Clomid + Metformin x 3 BFN
    Letrozole 5 mg + Trigger shot + IUI = BFP!
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • Options
    I have been trying exercise and diet for 3 months now. I gained a lot of weight when my insulin resistance came back and my dr put me on metformin and a diet and exercise plan. I have short cycles but with no ovulation. So far I haven't ovulated yet, so I am hoping to get on meds. However I will continue with the diet and exercise, it really helps my energy levels and I would love to lose the weight I gained.
    *BFP warning*
    *Child mentioned*
    TTC #2. Daughter born July 17th of 2013. 
    PCOS, Endo, Insulin Resitance. 

HSG done Sep 17- tubes unblocked! SA done- came back good! Hysteroscopy done Nov7- No uterus issues 

On 2550mg a day Metformin. 
    Round 1 of Clomid- 100mg CD3-7  BFN- Clomid left a huge cyst, AF arrived after 40 day cycle- BFN
    Round 1 of Femara- 10mg CD2-6 Mid cycle scan showed two follies (31mm and 27mm), trigger shot- BFN
    Benched out December- BFN
    Round 2 of Femara- BFP!!! First beta at 10dpo- 28 Second beta at 12 dpo- ?