September 2015 Moms
Options

'I'm In Labor' Text!

Husband and I have been brainstorming ways to let our close family and friends know when the baby is coming while respectfully and firmly asking that they stay home until we give the green light. Having the privacy to labor and deliver with only the two of us at the hospital is very important to us so here is the text we are sending out to let everyone know:

'Hello, family! I wanted to let you know that I'm officially on my way! The three of us are doing well, and right now we ask that you pray for us as we go about the business of finally meeting one another. I am really looking forward to meeting each of you, and will have Mom and Dad let you know as soon as it's time to come join the party! Thank you for your support and prayers, we love you and will be in touch. - Baby M

P.S. Make sure to keep this happy news between us! My parents are pretty proud of me and want to get to share the news with everyone when the time is right. Thanks!'

Thoughts?

Re: 'I'm In Labor' Text!

• Options
    This ^^^^ we always just waited to call or text anyone. I was induced with my first and no one knew we even went into the hospital. Was def better that way. With my second only my mom knew since she came to watch our oldest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, there are people we want to know because we know they'll be praying, and there are people we don't want to offend by not telling them when we've told others. The list is pretty small but we were trying to figure out a way to honor everybody.
  • Options
    I'm with the PP who said to wait. I would at least wait until you have a better idea of when baby will be here. With my son I didn't get admitted to the hospital until midnight. Knowing we wanted it to just be DH and I, and knowing there was no need to worry our parents until the morning. That's when DH let them know I was almost complete and would be pushing in the next hour or so, but we would let them know when they could head to the hospital. Although in my situation my parents don't listen well so it's better for me to not tell them until they need to know otherwise they'd be circling the building within 15 minutes of me being admitted. ;)
  • Options
    Yea, I wouldn't tell anyone your in labor unless you actually want them to know and are ok if they let the news slip if talking to someone else. Otherwise, call/txt everyone once LO is here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We let our family know when our little man will be arriving as we are a scheduled c section, but we want them there to meet the baby when he comes! If we were able to go natural our plan was to wait until we were 8 cm's before sending the text that we were in labor! My hospital has really strict visiting hours so there will be plenty of time for just my DH and I to hang out with our little man!
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't and won't be telling anyone. I don't want nor need constant texts or calls asking how I'm progressing or how much longer. That just adds more stress to the situation and really takes away from the moment you are hoping to share with your hubby. You can send a txt out saying as we approach baby's due date, please include our little family in your daily prayers. I'm sure they are praying for you anyway
  • Options
    We already told our parents the game-plan in person, letting them know we'd text them when we're headed to the hospital, when the baby is born, and then again once we're settled in our post-partum room and ready for visitors. They had no objections and now I won't have to worry about anyone showing up before we're ready. It might be easier if you let everyone know the game plan in advance before you go into labor so then when the time comes, you won't have to disappoint anyone who may have thought they could show up earlier. But you know our family the best and what works best for them and you! :)
  • Options
    That would make a really cute email after you deliver. It's sweet.

I hate group texts because of all the reply all stuff. I'm going to text a few close friends with this gem "in labor" and let both sets of parents know after I'm admitted. Actually, that's DH's job, since I'll be focused on those damn contractions and the baby on the way.

• Options
    I agree with some PP's that the text is long, a tad confusing, and a little condescending. I think your heart is absolutely in the right place, though. I like @rebeccabloomwood 's idea for a simpler one. Or, if it were me, I'd ask my mom to send it out for me - something like, "Justin and Jen (that's us) just headed to the hospital - we will keep you posted on any baby news!" I honestly don't think any of my friends/family would just show up (there are two hospitals we can deliver at and most ppl don't even know which one we have chosen, so I doubt they'd roll the dice on that anyway, lol!). That way, I'm not bugged with texts about my progress, my mom is, and ppl are at her mercy for when it would be appropriate to come see us. Some have been invited (parents and siblings), but even they may wait. (Oh and FYI, this is baby #2).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with many pp, we are only telling our parents when we are on our way and have expressed that there is no reason to come sit and wait as we have already decided that it will just be us 2 in the delivery room. Siblings will get a text or call from mom once I am officially in labor...actively pushing. Close family/ Friends will get notice after birth and the rest will be told after we are home. Trust me you will want your rest, time with those closest to you...most get this and will not rush up, but it just takes one to linger! Good luck and enjoy!
  • Options
    After explaining my hospital policy to a few family members and them getting offended, I had to send out a message to them all fully explaining in detail that we will keep everyone updated throughout the process and we will let them all know when it's time to come meet him
  • Options
    jht4jht4 member
    I think you are putting way too much thought into this. Send out a simple text for the people you want to know thanking them in advance for their prayers. Let your nurse know that only DH is to be in the room until you tell them otherwise. Most hospitals have a policy about how many people can be in the room during labor and for so many hours after delivery. The recovery with my first took more than two hours (and it was an uncomplicated vaginal delivery) and no one, other than my husband and medical personnel, was permitted into the room until I was ready.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hmmm seems a little much. Just text them after when you're ready for them to come. You'll have loads of time, after baby is born, to tell the world.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think that it's a sweet text and since it's your experience, if you feel it's the right thing to do, them do it!
  • Options
    We personally are only sending a text to immediate family. If you feel you should text a list of people then I'd let them know you'll also text then when you're ready for visitors. You don't want a mob showing up too soon. Good luck!
  • Options
    It's a sweet text so if you want to do that then that's a good and polite way to announce. My sister in law did something similar though and then was in labour for 72 hours so the entire family spent the whole time worrying something was wrong. We would rather have not known to be honest as we didn't expect to be told until baby was here. We are not planning on telling anyone until baby is here and we have had a few hours to bond and recover (Apart from my neighbour who is lined up to feed the cats).
  • Options
    I'm with everyone who says wait to text until after. If you must text, I would make it short and sweet and maybe have the conversation with them beforehand about not coming until you give the signal it's ok to visit. If it's about prayer, I think it makes most sense to just ask for prayers now for the last few weeks of your pregnancy, your labor/delivery and recovery. Just ongoing prayers, in other words.
  • Options
    Hmm, unlike others, I actually think that this is a very cute text (although I personally will likely not tell many people until after, but I'm not religious, so the prayer thing is irrelevant to me...)

Best wishes whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    It's good but if people will respect your wishes is another issue. People are excited and will talk about it and it will get out one way or another in most cases. If you are worried about not having visitors or people show up when you aren't ready don't tell anyone. Ask those people to come over closer to your date and do a prayer circle for your delivery. You and your husband can both pray while you are there as well and God will be with you throughout it. Have some faith it will go smoothly and everything will be ok! Positive thoughts!
  • Options
    Personally I love it! I think is very nice n polite too... good luck with any decision u make. :)
  • Options
    I think it's sweet as well
  • Options
    Sounds super sweet, but the only way (only!!!!) to keep something secret is to not tell anyone. If you are ok with the news escaping some undoubtedly excited and well meaning lips, go for it! People don't seem to feel that praying for a situation is gossiping or spreading news so I am not sure you are going to be able to keep it contained after you start spreading the word. Is that such a bad thing? I think you can have it either way, get lots of prayers and support or keep it secret. Just my opinion based on my experiences. Either way people are going to want to love and support you guys! Enjoy!!
  • Options
    Gemartin said:

Well, there are people we want to know because we know they'll be praying, and there are people we don't want to offend by not telling them when we've told others. The list is pretty small but we were trying to figure out a way to honor everybody.

I think it's crazy for anyone to get offended because you didn't notify them about your labor. That's a personal time and 100% your prerogative to notify whomever you and DH want.

All my family is out of town so I'm not worried about them showing up. However I'm not telling them for various reasons. My parents are elderly and I don't want them worried. I also don't want constant texting and calling for updates. SO and I are shutting off the phones and focusing on the baby. If I go into labor during work hours I'll notify my boss because I have too. Else folks will know after baby arrives.

Good luck with what you decide.
  • Options
    Also found it confusing. Agree with advice to keep it simple and straightforward
  • Options
    We're posting something to facebook about how we ask that no one posts any thing until we do because we've been waiting this entire time. Also we plan on not telling anyone when I'm in labor because that's time for us and no one needs to be constantly calling or texting. Plus people get excited and say they won't say anything but then the do and if someone ruins one more thing for me this pregnancy I'll be really mad. I haven't enjoyed anything due to family ruining so much for me.
    We're also most likely not having visitors at the hospital. That's a very special time and it's for the 3 of us and no one else.
  • Options
    adtaylor2015adtaylor2015 member
    edited August 2015
    I'm hoping I go into labor on my own because if so we aren't telling anyone until after the fact except my parents. If I'm induced, I'm going to tell everyone DH will keep them updated and leave it at that. Hopefully they respect our wishes and stay away until we say it's ok to come. The only ones I want at the hospital during labor are my parents and they will be watching our son.

I think the text is fine but I would make it more simple and straight forward.
  • Options
    I don't understand the whole "we're going into labor but..." part. I think it overcomplicates things and, to me, (I don't mean this in a snarky way at all) feels like you're trying to overly control the situation. Why not just notify once your admitted and say "we'll let you know when she's here and ready for visitors"? If they come, let them sit and wait. Turn off your phone. You won't even know if they're there or not.

My parents insist on being notified when we're headed to the hospital. Fine. I'm their baby and they're concerned of my health and safety. Makes sense. They'll be sitting in the waiting room a LONG time, though. No problem for me. I already told them that bc I'm going to breastfeed I'll need a couple hours after birth for that, too. So, they'll wait even longer. I'm not going to worry a second about others waiting. That's their decision.