High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

progesterone doubts???

Hi, has any mom or baby had any side effects to progesterone? I know this will save my pregnancy but there are so many pro/cons articles in the internet....

Please help.

Re: progesterone doubts???

• Options

I haven't had any side affects at all from the progesterone, and at first I was on 3 different kinds. Still nothing. I'm not a side affects person though.
  • Options
    I use the injections. No side effects for me either other than mild tenderness at the injection site, but not any different than any other shot. This is the second time I've been on progesterone (third pregnancy).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's awesome! Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    Some bloating, nausea and irritability. Nothing worse than usual PMS symptoms or early pregnancy symptoms (which can be caused by progesterone, go figure). Other than that, no issues with progesterone.
  • Options
    Only pain and tenderness at the injection site. My mom gave me my shot Monday and I think she went a little too low (closer to my buttcrack, sorry if it's tmi) and it's still tender today. I take 200 mg on Mondays and Thursdays. Does anyone else take that much or more?
  • Options
    I had zero side effects (except finally getting a sticky baby).
  • Options
    I am on suppositories, not shots.  I started at 23 weeks because of an incompetent cervix found at 13 weeks.  It's worked so far; no real side effects except possible weight gain (which is hard to determine when you're pregnant, but I seemed to start gaining at an increased pace once I started the progesterone).  Your body produces progesterone naturally, so it really shouldn't effect you or the baby negatively.
    imageimage image image Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think my hips are growing....
  • Options
    I HAVE BEEN HAVING MAJOR MIGRAINES DUE TO THE SHOT 
  • Options
    I'm on vaginal progesterone for a short cervix, but haven't experienced any side effects.
  • Options
    dmbrydon said:

I use the injections. No side effects for me either other than mild tenderness at the injection site, but not any different than any other shot. This is the second time I've been on progesterone (third pregnancy).

When did your doctor stop your progesterone injections in your previous pregnancies? How long after did you go.into labor?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    gfam23gfam23 member

dmbrydon said:

When did your doctor stop your progesterone injections in your previous pregnancies? How long after did you go.into labor?
    I've had the injections with my two previous pregnancies (and so far this one as well). Usually doctors have you stop at week 35 or 36. I delivered about a week after I stopped each time, a little after 37 weeks. (My first baby was born at 33 weeks.)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    I take Makena shots once a week. Horrible headaches, increased weight gain, and whole body itchiness. This is my 2nd pregnancy taking P17 shots and I had the same side effects both times.
  • Options
    I've been on it with all four of mine and now #5. I start pills as soon as I find out. And then my shots start weekly at week 16. Never had any problems or side affects.
  • Options
    I'm on Crinone progesterone gel and the ibly side effect is that I feel a little puffy.
  • Options
    I started weekly progesterone shots at 16 weeks due to PTL with DS. Only side effects so far are strong headaches the first two days after injection, and I have gained a pound per week since starting. I hadn't put on any weight prior to the shots, so not sure if it is just a coincidence or caused by the shots.
  • Options
    abs99abs99 member
    I used the suppositories and no side effects....

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had an allergic reaction to the shots (in sesame seed oil), so my Dr gave me the vaginal capsules. The only side effect has been that my "area" feels a little more tender. I go to the Dr on Tuesday and will ask him about it, but has anyone else had this?
  • Options
    My first was born 36w5d - two days before "full term"- water broke, no cervix issues. OB wants me to start Makena. Not sure what to do. If I don't do the shots and I go even more preterm, I'll hate myself. If I take the shots I'm worried it will be an unnecessary intervention and the possible side effect of miscarriage/stillbirth terrify me. I think, if DS was born just two days later, I wouldn't even have to make this decision. So I'm completely torn and have no idea what to do. Did anyone turn down the progesterone? I'm having cervical measurements every four weeks. Was 3.1 and closed at 16 weeks.
    -LJ
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on the suppositories and am having exhaustion, massive bloating, sore breasts, and have been really grumpy/snappy. When I actually administer them, I have a brief bout of nausea, but am otherwise fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've been on the suppositories, the injection (in sesame oil) and also the pills. I only had a reaction to the injections and that was 2 weeks into doing them. I broke out on both of my butt cheeks- red rash with welts- super itchy, just terrible. My doctor told me to stop immedietly and start on orals, 3 times a day. I guess it depends on each person. I have heard if you receive the injection, your best bet is to do the injections and ask they mix it with olive oil. Seems to be the most gentle. 
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    I've been on the suppositories and injections since week 6 with varying doses depending on what my levels are. So I don't know pregnancy without them. But to me it's all worth it. If I hadn't started it when I did, I would have lost our baby girl. 
    ~~ October Siggy Challenge - Amazing/Horrible Pregnancy Costumes ~~

Image result for pregnancy halloween costumes

IAmPregnant Ticker
    FTM - Oct. 22, 2015
  • Options
    I'm on vaginal progesterone due to short cervix, no side effects as of yet, I have vomitted twice but not sure if that is a side effect yet as I've only been on it 3 nights now. My colleague said she had burns inside from vaginal progesterone but between you and me I think she may be a hypochondriac she's had every illness under the sun (lol)
  • Options
    I am on the suppositories twice per day. I notice that after I take it (say 15 minutes or so), I feel dizzy. I am so incredibly bloated that a lot of my pants are not fitting and it's way too early in my pregnancy for that :-)  Other than that, I can't tell if it's the medicine or just normal pregnancy symptoms. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Beautiful Daughter 11/08/2002
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
    Rainbow Sugar Baby due 04/22/2016, C Section Scheduled for 04/08/2016