March 2016 Moms

Switched from prenatal to gummy multi vitamins

TeddyMtMTeddyMtM member
edited August 2015 in March 2016 Moms
I was getting viciously nauseous with the prenatal vitamins, and chose to take gummy vitamins and it has given me more energy and cut all nauseous. I'm 12 weeks pregnant.

Any concerns or similar stories?

Re: Switched from prenatal to gummy multi vitamins

• Have you tried gummy prenatal vitamins? I've read that a major draw back in gummy prenatals is that they lack a sufficient amount of something (I may be wrong but I think it's iron).

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • kynbar5kynbar5 member
    edited August 2015
    I took the gummy prenatal vitamins with my last pregnancy and they worked good for me. My dr just reminded me that when taking those I needed to take 2 instead of one. I like them much better than the regular horse pills!

Edited cause spelling.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Loading the player...
  • i switched to gummy vitamins from liquid vitamins. comparing the labels was a little concerning because the gummy (vitafusion) had significantly less vitamin content, but it was not lacking in the main folic acid and dha. Next visit i am going to check with my dr to see if they are enough. 
  • My OB said they lack the iron I need and wanted me to switch. I take Womens One a Day prenatal at night and they seem to be the easiest ones to take that I've tried (took till my 5th pregnancy to figure this out).

• My prenatal making me super sick. Just switched also to 2 gummy prenatal which can has much less content overall and it has helped decrease the nausea. But I'm also on diclegis and I still am Nauseated. It's relentless this time around
  • It's the iron in the prenatals that make you feel sick. So it makes sense if the gummies don't make you sick that they probably lack iron
  • Unfortunately the gummies aren't a great idea for your teeth, which are especially important to think about during pregnancy since you are more likely to have gum disease and cavities bc of the pregnancy. That being said if you can't keep the others down at all.... It's way better for baby to get the vitamins than not...... The old adage that you lose 1 tooth per baby is sometimes not too far off.
  • Unfortunately the gummies aren't a great idea for your teeth, which are especially important to think about during pregnancy since you are more likely to have gum disease and cavities bc of the pregnancy. That being said if you can't keep the others down at all.... It's way better for baby to get the vitamins than not...... The old adage that you lose 1 tooth per baby is sometimes not too far off.

I've never heard that about one tooth per baby. I'm on my 6th and haven't lost any along the way :)
  • I'm on the gummies per my doctor's suggestion. They do not have iron, so we will be keeping an eye on my iron levels when I have blood work done.
  • I too had an issue with regular prenatals I was terribly sick but I tried organic no more nausea organic helped me maybe an idea for other moms to be if they too have difficulty tolerating prenatal vitamins
  • @kynbar5 it's just an old saying... Of course almost no one actually LOSES the teeth anymore because we have regular checkups and treatment, but a lot of moms find they are more prone to cavities after having kids and during their pregnancy (much of this is attributable to poor diet and lots of snacking esp. in the middle of the night in pregnancy and with a newborn). Anecdotally, both my sister and cousin had never had cavities before pregnancy, but after each of their first children they had their first cavities.
  • kynbar5kynbar5 member
    edited August 2015
    I got that it was an old saying, however, I think cavities would probably be more because of the snacking and late night eating than the vitamins. I think as long as you're getting a vitamin it's not going to be a deal breaker if it's the gummies. :)

Edited cause spelling.
  • smccorkillsmccorkill member
    edited August 2015
    @kynbar5 certainly it's a multifactorial issue as I also said above. I am just mentioning it because we learn in dental school that gummy prenatals are a caries risk factor (I graduate in April). Gummy-type vitamins in general are also a known cavity-causer in kids. As I acknowledged, if you can't get anything else down, OF COURSE! :) do the gummies. It was just a food for thought point that there are a few small drawbacks to the gummies-- And as always, everyone can do as they please, it's just information!! I would not have mentioned this had the OP not asked for "concerns?" from other members regarding gummy prenatals.