April 2015 Moms
Options

How many ounces in a feeding?

i have been EBFing my baby, he will be 4 months in a couple weeks when I'll be standing in a friends wedding so I am going to pump so that my mom can can look after him that night. How do you know how many ounces to put in one feed?

Re: How many ounces in a feeding?

• Options
    I am curious too. Only reccomendations I have been able to find is for formula. I just started daycare this week with my 4 month old and have been sending 4 oz per feeding, but it sounds like I need to up it. I'm going to try 5 per feeding for next week.

The kelly mom site suggests 25 oz per day and divide by how many times you feed a day to get a sense of feeding size.
  • Options
    My LO has been taking about 6 ounces each time I leave a bottle. He does already weigh 16 pounds so I'm not sure if it may be less for a smaller baby haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine is just past four months old and a little over 15 pounds. He typically will take 4-5 ounces a feeding at day care. I've heard some people say that it's about an ounce to an ounce and a half per hour since the last feeding... I've also read it's hard to over feed a breast fed baby, and that's true with my DS...he won't eat if he's full. So, I trust him to eat what he needs and try to leave more than I think he will eat.
  • Options
    We just started daycare and my 15 week old does 5oz bottles each feeding.
  • Options
    My "little guy" weighs 17 lbs and he's 16 weeks old. It may be due to his size, but he is eating 6-7 oz of breast milk in one sitting (more so at night). He cluster feeds between 5 and 7pm so that he can sleep through the night. If your baby tends to do the same, then I would leave enough based on your baby's needs. If you're worried, I would leave more rather than less so at least you'll have a piece of mind knowing your baby has enough while you are away.
  • Options
    For those of u on Facebook u should join the group Dairy Queens, I find them really good for all breastfeeding questions!
  • Options
    The kelly mom site is definitely helpful!  My LO is taking about 5 oz (give or take a little) at each feeding and he has 6 feedings per day.  He's 18 weeks and weighs about 17-18lb
  • Options
    My son is 20 weeks, weighs just under 16lbs and eats 4.5-5oz every 3-4hrs
  • Options
    Kelly mom is a great site! There is a calculator that gives you an idea of a low and high range for number of ounces per feeding. Of course it may vary how much they take from the bottle at each feeding. I usually have an extra few ounces just invade baby needs a little more at a feeding. I tell the babysitter to give 1/2 ounce at a time. Also, paced bottle feeding is extremely helpful so baby doesn't just suck down a bottle (you can find a video on YouTube)