3rd Trimester

Having sibling at hospital?

several of the mothers I have talked to, did NOT bring siblings to the hospital during labor. They were kept at home with a caretaker.

My 5 year old daughter is very excited about becoming a big sister, and has been involved during the whole process. (Reading and watching the weekly bump updates with me). I don't plan on having her in the delivery room because I would not want her to have to witness anything traumatic if something were to go wrong, but I do want her to be able to come in immediately after to meet her sister.

I basically wanted to get perspective from moms that have gone through this. Did having the sibling there work out or cause stress?

Re: Having sibling at hospital?

• Just come to visit once the baby is born? I don't see anything wrong with that, and I think it's what most people do. 

Have your daughter at the hospital the whole time while you are in labor? No. You have no idea how long it could go on, and if it does take a while, that's too long for a 5-year-old. Who would be looking after her? 

Or are you talking about having her stay with you at the hospital in your recovery room? I doubt that's even allowed. 
  • At my hospital, siblings are allowed but they must have an adult responsible for them that is not the birth coach.  For example, when my aunt was giving birth, her daughter wanted to be there and my mom was the one who had to be there if she got overwhelmed or if there was a reason she should leave the room.  I think it depends on the child, some may be too distracting, while others you may barely notice.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Loading the player...
  • asun123asun123 member
    My son will most likely be in the waiting room and come into my labor and delivery room right after. 
    That's what people usually do. 
    Unless I end up having the baby at some weird hour of the day. I'd rather my son be in bed or taking a nap at home if I end up giving birth during the hours that he does that. If it's in the middle of the day though, sure.. He will be there. And he will probably go over to my postpartum room with me. And go home with someone once it gets to be that time. I don't want to mess up his schedule.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • When my daughter was two, she was at someone's house until I was in a room after the baby was born. I had a c-section, and she gave her brother a stuffed animal she picked out. 

This time, she will be four and her brother will be two years old. One of my friends is going to watch them until we give the okay for them to come up to the hospital. Which will be when I get settled in a room. I plan to have coloring books for the two of them to have something to do when they visit in the hospital room. They both love to color and it will be a brand new one that stays in my hospital bag for when they arrive. They also have their own big brother and big sister shirts to wear when they come the first time to meet their baby brother who will have a little brother shirt. Also, each of them will have something to give him from themselves. 

I will say, when my daughter was two, the person that brought her up brought up her neighbors (who I did not know) to see the baby. So my daughter did not get a lot of personal bonding with her brother. This time, no one is allowed other then my husband, my mom, and myself to be there when they come in because I want them to have that time with their baby sibling the first meeting. Plus, all those people tired me out really quickly. 
    Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 
  • My DD was excited to become a big sister, and she was 6y3m when DS was born. There's no way I would've had her at the hospital when I was in labor. We went in around 3:45pm and he was born at 3:45am. That would be a LONG time! Instead, she stayed with a friend. DH went to pick her up and take her to school (she was in K) and told her she had a baby brother (he was a surprise). After school DH picked her up and brought her to the hospital for a visit. She came and visited the next day when we were released, too.
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• I'll definitely be having my 5yo DD come visit her baby brother after he's born in the hospital, but she won't be there during the birth. She'll go with us to take me to the hospital, she'll be there when I'm put in a room, then her grandpa is going to come get her from the hospital just like when her angel brother was born. She'll be staying for several days with my father and stepmother at their home. She's asked to be there with me and she's seen videos of live birth before so she knows what to expect and that sometimes things go badly, however I know that things don't always go as planned and I don't want her in the room if something were to go badly again. Another huge thing is that she loves to comfort people who are in pain by snuggling and I know she would be all over me. Normally this isn't a problem but when I'm in labor I tend to not want to be touched and can get a little rough when people do touch me. I do NOT want to say something to her that I don't mean just because I'm in pain and she's trying to make mommy ok. I'd rather her go play at grandpas house and meet her brother after the potentially traumatic portion is over and done with.

....................................................................................................................................... 

Big Sister Piper

Born at 37 weeks, strong NICU survivor

Friday, November 13th, 2009, 7:17 AM

Baby Brother Link

Born sleeping at 19 weeks with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus

Sunday, March 2nd, 2014, 7:27 PM

.......................................................................................................................................

• By the time my C-section comes around my son will have started school so most likely he will go to school and when he is out he can come visit I think that I will make sure nobody visits at that time so that it can just be us. Or who knows it will be fairly early maybe he will miss school that day ...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MissusTexasMissusTexas member
    edited August 2015
    We're waiting to bring DD to the hospital until right before we leave, that way she can meet her sister and we all go home together. I see no reason for her to be at the hospital any longer than that.
  • lalenalalena member
    edited August 2015
    We're having 4yr old DD stay with grams when I'm in labor in October. Then, Dad is going to come pick her to the next day and have her pick up a card and gift and take her to meet her little brother at the hospital. I'm getting her a present from little brother to her as well for being a big sister.

Personally, I don't want her there while I'm in labor. Just added stress IMO. They can be excited the next day. Besides, she's excited for a sleepover at her grandparent's house.
  • We are playing it by ear.  Last time we lived an hour from the hospital, DS was only 2 and was happy staying at home with grandma.  We also got out of the hospital 24 hours after the birth so it would have meant a long drive to visit us only to see the baby a few hours earlier.  This time we again live an hour away, but the kids are both older (6 and 4) and are much more interested in the baby.  I am a little concerned about taking DS out of school to visit baby and I, so as I said we will play it by ear.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Our son is 6. My csection is scheduled for a Saturday and we have to be there at 530am. Either my mom or mil will be with him and will bring him to see us that afternoon.
    DS- June 2009

Pregnancy Ticker