Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Sleeping Training Tips

Let me start by saying that my DD is only 3 months, so I am nowhere near ready to sleep train her, but I plan on doing so in the future. We did with my son right around 6 months, and it worked great for him. By that I mean a relatively small amount of crying, and going to sleep with zero crying by the third night, and he's been a 12-13 hour a night sleeper ever since. We did the thing where you check on them and comfort at increasing intervals.

SO, to finally get to the point, I am looking for helpful tips from other people who have sleep trained (not judgement from people who disagree with the process) as I gear up to train my DD. I just feel like I am rusty on the whole process since it was two years ago. Pearls of wisdom? Must-dos? What should I know as I get ready to do this again in a few months, and is there anything I should do now to make the process easier? Thanks!

Re: Sleeping Training Tips

• Biggest piece of advice I can give is be consistent, night after night. I only did sleep training for the initial crying before going to bed for the night. I still got up and fed my kids in the MOTN until they stopped waking to eat. For my son that was 7 months old and my daughter was 9 months old. I wouldn't leave them to cry if they woke up hungry but at bedtime, yes, or an hour after they've gone to bed, yes. You don't need anything, you just don't want to sleep.

I never did interval checks because seeing me just made it worse. I don't really care what people think about my methods because it worked for my family and that's all that matters. People will always have something to say about what another parent does but you have to just let it roll off your back.

So after all that rambling...consistency, consistency, consistency!

• Same with me, just for the initial bedtime. My son nursed once during the night until about 8 months. I really hope sleep training works as well for my daughter! Thanks for the advice, so key to stay consistent even though it's hard when they're crying!