November 2015 Moms

Waxing?!?!?!

Is anyone thinking of doing a waxing or "sugaring" Hair removal before the big push?!?! I have never had it done before and my friend is trying to get me to go!!! I want to but I'm so nervous being a newbie and pregnant and huge at the same time!!! Any tips???

Re: Waxing?!?!?!

• elbouelbou member
    edited July 2015

I got my first ever Brazilian wax done for Valentine's Day the year I was pregnant with DS (he was due April 4th). Having never done it before, I'm not sure if it hurt more, but the pain was definitely manageable. I'd had my legs waxed before, and I think it almost hurt more when they waxed my shins!

Regardless, I liked the results so much that I had it done again at the end of March. He came late, so it ended up being about 3 weeks after I had it waxed, but the hair was still pretty short. I found it easier to clean up with shorter hair, and figured it was better to pay someone to do it for me than try to reach around my almost 9-month belly with scissors, yikes!

I would suggest taking some Tylenol before your appointment so that it has some time to start working before the waxing starts, and don't hold your breath while the person is pulling the wax off. (For some reason, it seems to hurt more if I'm holding my breath, but if I exhale just as she pulls, it's not as bad.)  The feeling is similar to ripping a Band-Aid off. In my experience, it hurts most while it's being taken-off. (I just had it done last week as well, and I was more tender than sore after she was done.) GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I had it done right before my son was born last time and plan on doing it again. It hurts- don't get me wrong, but I didn't feel like it was any worse being pregnant. I think the last writer was good on thinking maybe taking Tylenol before hand; might help!
  • gvgauthigvgauthi member
    edited July 2015
    The second I couldn't see "down there" I've been getting Brazilian sugared. This is also my first experience with pregnancy and sugaring but like a PP mentioned the pain in def manageable. The results last 4-6 weeks with less hair growth coming back and the hair is much finer. The second time was less painful and 10X faster than the first. So if u can survive the first time you will be fine. My hubby also seemed to like the results ;)
  • SJFTCASJFTCA member
    I had my first ever Brazilian at 18.5 weeks. The girl told me that it being my first time AND being pregnant, it would definitely be more painful but that if I survived the first time, it would only get easier. It wasn't a walk in the park, but it really wasn't that bad. The worst was the two strips right in the middle (if you just did bikini line, I suppose you wouldn't have to deal w that). I also scheduled a prenatal massage right after to "treat" myself :-).
  • I have gotten a wax every 5 weeks for years. It makes me feel cleaner and it causes less in-growns. I honestly don't notice a difference in the pain level when pregnant.
    If you are going to wax,please be sure to find a place that uses hard wax. It is much easier on your skin. Also, please do the waxer and yourself a favor and trim before you go. It will hurt less and be easier for the waxer.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • I also didn't notice a difference when pregnant. I love waxing.  I loathe shaving. 
  • I didn't notice a difference in pain either. I went at 18 weeks.

And as for which part hurts more...I can take the middle all day...it's the part where the thigh meets the lady parts that's torture to me!
  • I'm a regular waxer and went in the first tri. For me, it was MUCH more painful than it regularly is. I just about came up off the table. I won't be going back until well after Peanut's arrival.
  • I've never waxed before, and I'm pretty sure this would not be the time to start. I did tell my husband that I may need him to shave me in the near future since I can already barely see things down there and don't really want to take a razor or trimmer blindly to my lady bits. It's definitely less painful than waxing. But one way or another, I'm pretty sure there's going to be so much going on around the birth that I won't care what things look like.
  • crysgxcrysgx member
    I've had two waxes so far this pregnancy, and the second one wasn't as bad as the first. Maybe it was that I was prepared mentally since I knew what to expect, I also noticed what grew back in between trips was thinner and less hair. Funny story, first time I was so nervous, I laid down and the waxing attendant simply said "butterfly", to which I replied.. "Umm no thank you I don't want any type of designs". Of course she meant butterfly pose to start and I thought she was trying to give me artwork down there. /:) We laughed it off but I was embarrassed!
  • LSRooLSRoo member
    Waxing for life! I wax everything!
  • gkfkgkfk member
    I get waxed (bikini) monthly and have on and off for many years. I would not go and get your very first wax right before birth. Its really not that enjoyable! Im finding that it hurts more than normal now that im preggo. Also, waxing works best if you go for months in a row, so that your hair follicles get used to it. (Some science that i dont understand.) if you want to do this, i'd make your first appointment for july or august, see what you think, and then make monthly appointments after that. But thats me, you should do what you want and good luck!
  • I think it's worth investing in a ladies electric razor for keeping the lawns trimmed if you're into that sort of thing and don't want to wax.  I feel a little odd completely bare, but I like keeping things close cropped.  The razors come with guards at various lengths and are much, much easier for me to work in places I can't see than a typical razor.  It won't get you baby smooth, but it's good enough imo. 

This.
  • I think it's worth investing in a ladies electric razor for keeping the lawns trimmed if you're into that sort of thing and don't want to wax.  I feel a little odd completely bare, but I like keeping things close cropped.  The razors come with guards at various lengths and are much, much easier for me to work in places I can't see than a typical razor.  It won't get you baby smooth, but it's good enough imo. 

Yes to electrical razors! I used one for the first time this last weekend and it was just so much easier. Since it's getting hard to see I go further in between shaving (gross but ya know, whatevs) so the electrical razor was my best friend and so much easier! Agree with the above statement that it won't get you super smooth but it'll for sure help minimize the "blind shaving" as I call it bc I literally have no idea what I'm doing/accomplishing anymore.
  • Any particular electric razor you suggest? I'm so sick of playing hiding and seek!!!! I can't keep pulling my muscles trying to get down there lol
  • I agree with @VexedMommy I like to trim it pretty bare. And then wax just my bikini line. Waxing doesn't hurt as much as you'd think. Give it a try.
  • I went for my first Brazilian wax ever last weekend at 25 weeks pregnant and it was bearable but some places hurt more than others! So worth it though! I was very sore for 2 days after, but kept it moisturized and I plan on going back in when its time :)
  • Same here! I thought it hurt like hell. Way more than when I am not preggers and I have a high pain tolerance!!
  • I love being waxed! I go every 3-4 weeks, have for over 2 years now.
  • As mentioned earlier, I went my first time at 18.5 weeks and I went back right around 23.5 weeks. The second time was SO much more bearable than the first. Such a difference. If you can get through that first time, esp pregnant, I promise it gets much easier!