August 2015 Moms
Options

Toddler Tantrums

Since bringing home DD2 last week, DD1 has been crying constantly, about everything. She is 17 months and I'm not sure if she understands what is going on. We have been trying to stay really positive, and not shushing her or giving negative interactions when she is interacting with baby. Any advice on how to make this transition easier for her? We have tried busy boxes and she has a baby doll which she loves. I'm just kind of drawing a blank on what to do. Any books you recommend would be great too!

Re: Toddler Tantrums

• Options
    I don't have advice because I'm facing the same thing! I hope things improve soon! Following this
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first 2 are 17 months apart. I don't think she understands much other than she has to share mommy now. I think it's just going to take time and pretty soon she won't remember life without her sister.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It takes time. My 4 year old didn't even want to be in the same room with the baby the first week. Now she's adjusting to his cries and him being around. Patience.
  • Options

My first 2 are 17 months apart. I don't think she understands much other than she has to share mommy now. I think it's just going to take time and pretty soon she won't remember life without her sister.

Exactly this. Pretty soon life with baby will be all she knows. Hang in there!

• Options
    My 3 year-old has been unruly since bringing the baby home. I just assume in a week or so he'll be bored with the baby and on to something new.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm still in hospital and DD has been coming in for a couple of hours a day. I'm TERRIFIED about getting home and making it all work with a baby and toddler, on limited sleep and with really painful boobs...and I struggle to 'sleep when the baby sleeps' without a 2.5 year old poking me in the face with a crayon.

Tips from those of you who've done it all before would be greatly appreciated...
  • Options
    I know regression is normal... Just have to work through it. Stay positive with the older one, make sure they still get alone time with mommy, talk to them to explain what is going on even if they aren't that verbal.

Books I have "My new baby", "I'm a big brother" and "I'm a new big brother". There are a bunch out there, brother/sister, but I try to read them every day (if he'll let me, he's gotten book picky lately.)

Hope that helps, my DD isn't due until Monday so it's a waiting game. They'll be 16 months apart.
  • Options
    Well I'm glad I'm not alone here. I just need them to be best friends already and for DD1 to take her dang nap in the afternoon!