December 2015 Moms

Current mood using one gif or image

kristen2bkristen2b member
edited August 2015 in December 2015 Moms
Mine. Boobs out of control. image

Re: Current mood using one gif or image

• Loading the player...
  • All day today...

That's also how I look at patients in the ER who come in for ridiculous things. Moaning in bed with an ingrown toenail or dry throat >.<
  • This is how I feel about the hubby lately...

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• That's also how I look at patients in the ER who come in for ridiculous things. Moaning in bed with an ingrown toenail or dry throat >.<</p>

I can't imagine working in the ER. I think it would be really hard for me to not wanna tell people how stupid they are being. Especially with all these pregnancy hormones. I work on a neuro/trauma unit and pretty much every other room has a confused/impulsive pt trying to jump out of bed every 5 seconds
  • BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited August 2015
    Hate to be the spoilsport here but having been a patient many times, sometimes people in the ER F**# up and think that patients aren't sick when in fact they're desperately ill.

For example, I was once sent home from the ER saying that I had a simple stomach ache and was actually told to stop complaining. I wound up back in that same ER 12 hours later and ended up having a full bowel obstruction that required an emergency xlap & resection.

So maybe an ingrown toenail might be a pain in the arse, but there definitely patients that are going to come in that should be taken seriously. I'm not saying that you all are not taking your patients seriously, but I think it's very cavalier to assume that so many people are exaggerating. Even if the vast majority of them are.

*typo
  • It's true that on some occasions people come in complaining of something "minor" that turns into something much more serious. But those pts are few and far between. 90% of the time the Emergency departments are clogged with people who use it as a dr's office. An emergency room is exactly as it says, a place for emergency medicine. In your case you had a true emergency that unfortunately got over looked but it's good that you took responsibility for yourself and went back and insisted to be seen again. Dr's and nurses are human and mistakes do happen. And there are definitely some out there that do have a chip on their shoulder and will insistently dismiss a "minor" complaint because you aren't knocking on deaths door which is unfortunate but again in my experience as an RN those dr's and nurses are not the norm. And there are people like that in all professions I'm sure. Most of us got into this line of work because we truly do like helping people. It is extremely aggravating though to have a pt who is having a minor problem taking up all your time while your pt in the next room who is truly sick, hurting, or maybe evening needing help getting through the dying process suffers silently because they are afraid of taking up too much of your time. Ok sorry rant over. I'm extraordinarily passionate about my profession. Lol As I'm sure others can relate to that love their job
  • This is basically my new motto
  • It's true that on some occasions people come in complaining of something "minor" that turns into something much more serious. But those pts are few and far between. 90% of the time the Emergency departments are clogged with people who use it as a dr's office. An emergency room is exactly as it says, a place for emergency medicine. In your case you had a true emergency that unfortunately got over looked but it's good that you took responsibility for yourself and went back and insisted to be seen again. Dr's and nurses are human and mistakes do happen. And there are definitely some out there that do have a chip on their shoulder and will insistently dismiss a "minor" complaint because you aren't knocking on deaths door which is unfortunate but again in my experience as an RN those dr's and nurses are not the norm. And there are people like that in all professions I'm sure. Most of us got into this line of work because we truly do like helping people. It is extremely aggravating though to have a pt who is having a minor problem taking up all your time while your pt in the next room who is truly sick, hurting, or maybe evening needing help getting through the dying process suffers silently because they are afraid of taking up too much of your time. Ok sorry rant over. I'm extraordinarily passionate about my profession. Lol As I'm sure others can relate to that love their job

This is absolutely what I mean. I hate knowing a non-emergency patient is taking up the staffs time and the bed when people are desperately ill waiting to be seen. There are a few choice people who come into the ER where I work and treat it as a Drs. office. To know there is a sick infant waiting in the ER because the patient with a scratchy throat (only complaint) got there first can be so aggravating.
  • This was pretty close to my thoughts during my appointment today. I managed to contain them inside but I was thinking "can you breathe any louder????"
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This was pretty close to my thoughts during my appointment today. I managed to contain them inside but I was thinking "can you breathe any louder????"

Ahahaha!!! Oh man! Rough appt?
  • @kristen2b not really. It was good appointment but DH was driving me nuts!! They literally just told us it's a girl, and he shows no excitement. I try to cut him slack because he's been working nights, so he had to wake up "early" to go to the appointment. But come on, man! This is exciting!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

I do not work in medicine. What I can tell you is that this was far from the only situation that I had that was an example of something serious being trivialized. I also came in once with severe abdominal pain nausea and diarrhea. They assumed that I was over exaggerating. It turned out to be an intestinal rupture and i was left sitting for 17 hours. I became septic and wound up with multiple organ failure that time. There are so many others, I don't even want to start counting them up. Unfortunately, I find that this happens more often than not in July and August. However, it should be noted that I absolutely love the nurses! I know that nurses are on the front line of medicine and truly undervalued and overworked. It's the few hotshots that think that they know everything that end up frustrating patients that are truly ill. And yes, I can understand how somebody that is not in an emergent situation can be infuriating. But there are other people like me that have very high pain thresholds, and it's hard to see how very sick I am often times. I can also tell you that when there's a situation where my life is in danger, I am put into a rucessitation room until I am stabilized. In my hospital, people in the rucessitation rooms have a dedicated staff.