Infertility
Options

Crinone vs Prometrium?

I'm currently taking Prometrium (2 tabs in the morning, 2 at night, vaginally). Let's face it, it's disgusting with all that white stuff dripping. As if IF wasn't bad enough for a couple's sex life, now I'm also hesitant to BD once on Prometrium because uh...he's going to end up with some of it (sorry if TMI). Could that be a problem at all if he's exposed to that amount of progesterone? Also, do you find Crinone to be any better? Is there a reason to go for one vs the other (other than RE preference and relationship with pharmaceutical sales rep)?

Re: Crinone vs Prometrium?

• Options
    This is my first month taking Crinone. It makes me feel gassy, crampy, and my breasts have become sore and swollen. Of course I hope these are pregnancy symptoms, but who knows. The crinone clumps together and I have to "clean it out" before I put a new one in each time. I haven't bd'd while taking it yet because I don't want the clumps to be pushed up "there." Yuck!
  • Options
    riveridgionalriveridgional member
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure about BDing on it. I haven't taken progesterone vaginally before but last cycle I took estrace vaginally once in am and once in pm, which resulted in a "wonderful" blue discharge 24/7. I had the same concerns that I would be exposing DH to estrogen, which I figured couldn't be good. I just tried to wait until after BD or put off BD at least an hour and a half. It definitely affected the sex life after O, however, as my husband wasn't a fan of (as he put it) looking like he had sex with a smurf.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Okay, I don't feel so alone in this fear of DH being exposed to gross discharge and the associated progesterone! I totally understand your DH on the blue discharge, that is scary! Is it because the tablets are blue? I feel like we can tough this out for the TWW if need be, but considering I'd need to be on it for the first trimester if I get a BFP all of a sudden makes PIO injections almost attractive (although I hear they're not great either). Why does progesterone have to be such a pain?!
  • Options
    Haha seriously! And, yes, the tablets are blue. It was so weird for the first few days!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

• Options
    Why on earth would they make them blue?! Prometrium just looks like I have a constant yeast infection, but not like I'm a smurf. So I guess for now I'll suck it up and stick with it!
  • Options
    Haha. I guess I didn't even thing that far ahead. I told DH that we can BD before the ET. But being sore from the ER we had to hold off. Now with less then 3 days and I'm thinking twice. I'm not sure if I wanna w/ white never ending goop coming out. Oh poor DH.
  • Options
    I didn't think about him being exposed to the progesterone. I was just worried about DH not wanting to BD because it'll be all.. weird and gross. I am going to try to remember to ask my nurse about that.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    I'll be taking the Crinone for the 1st time this cycle.  As if I need more meds to make me feel gassy and crampy.  Can't wait for the added side effects .  
    :((

How long are you usually on the Crinone?  i have a box of 15, but I forgot my instructions because I will see my RE again before I need to start taking them. It seems like it is once a day for 15 days. 

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• Options
    If you have really bad physical irritation down there, there is also the progesterone in oil shots. That's what we did and I would take a needle over the pain the inserts caused. I didn't even know it was out there! I guess that would also avoid the DH hormone factor!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I was on estrogen and crinone last month and had sex once while on them. Never thought of it being bad for dh (gross yes). I was at the dr today and I'm starting estrogen again and will be on crinone after my iui so I asked about sex and she said it's totally safe and that the hormones get absorbed into your body very fast and what's left is just gunk/discharge
  • Options
    @rachlee2010: Awesome, thanks for asking!
  • Options
    @rachelee2010 yes, thanks so much for letting us know! I'll be so much more relaxed now next time I'm on them!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14