September 2015 Moms
Options

Pumping Question

Does anyone know how long a bottle of breast milk is at room temperature after it has been warmed? I'm trying to figure out if I can give DS this bottle after 2 hours or if I have to get rid of it :(

Re: Pumping Question

• Options
    I can't remember off the top of my head but I always checked Kellymom.com for any milk questions. It's extremely informative and will have all the info need there. I do remember it makes a difference if they've drank from it (I think! ) ...off to go refresh myself on milk handling.
  • Options
    I checked and it says after being offered milk is good refrigerated 1-2 hours.

I will say that I usually just smelled it and used my judgement. In this case, I'd say toss it :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it doesn't have a smell it is fine. If it has any kind of smell I would toss it.
  • Options
    I feel like there was some sort of pattern, but I can't remember the number. Like 3 hours room temp, 3 days fridge, 3 months freezer. Or maybe the number was 6. Sorry. That didn't help.
  • Options

During our breastfeeding class they taught us "rule of 5's"

5 hours on the table top

5 days in the fridge

5 months in the freezer

• Options
    I think that freshly expressed milk on the table top is different than expressed milk refrigerated, warmed and then left. Be sure to remember that there's a difference in these two when reading the guidelines online.
  • Options
    ElleMF728ElleMF728 member
    edited August 2015
    I think that freshly expressed milk on the table top is different than expressed milk refrigerated, warmed and then left. Be sure to remember that there's a difference in these two when reading the guidelines online.
    This was my worry.  I know that I can pump and leave it out but I warmed this bottle from the fridge so I could have it when we took both the boys out to lunch earlier but DS never woke up and it had been at least an hour and a half or 2 hours by the time we got home.  I ended up just tossing it to be safe, at least it was only 2.5 oz so no big deal.  

My LC is calling me again tomorrow so I'm going to ask her and update with what she says if anyone has this question in the future.  

ETA: Thanks everyone for the responses!