Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Back to 3am feedings at 7 months!

my LO has been sleeping through the night since he was 2 months and I mean 7-5/6. It's been great! But this past week he has been waking up earlier and earlier, wanting to be fed. We have upped his food before bed, he's getting a veggie and 8 oz of formula. This morning he woke at 3:15 and wouldn't go back to sleep. We held him off until 4 and gave in and fed him. I don't want to start feeding him at 3. We were doing so good! What happened?? :'(

Re: Back to 3am feedings at 7 months!

• Babies change all the time. You shouldn't get too used to something because it will most likely change.

If your LO is waking up legitimately hungry then feed him. Don't wait, just get up and feed him. This doesn't necessarily have to turn into a habit but perhaps it's a growth spurt. Don't overthink it, just feed him.

• THIS  every time you think you know what's up, it changes
  • Loading the player...
  • How many days does it take to start a habit cuz we are up at 3:45 am and eating at 4??? I feel a habit starting. Sigh...yawn...
  • You can start decreasing the MOTN bottle a couple ounces at a time until you wean him off completely. Or, try giving real food instead of baby food. I skipped baby food with my second kid and was feeding her what we were eating. Just a thought.

If you do the decreasing of the bottles, you might have to let your LO cry a bit in the night. I'm not opposed to that and it made both of my kids start STTN but you have to do what you are comfortable with. Now, if my 10 month old wakes up in the night crying I leave her. Most of the time she doesn't even sit up, she's just yelling but you have to be able to judge the cries and tell the difference between needing something and just waking up for no reason.

• We have given in and are feeding him when he wakes up. He's going right back to sleep right afterwards so maybe with time he'll go back to sleeping until 5. It just stinks because he hasn't had a motn feeding since he was 2 months old! That's when he started sleeping through, we've been very blessed! Now that he's 7 months, we have gone back to very early morning feedings...just kinda bummed about it.
  • I would be bummed too.
  • If it makes you feel better, my 7mo still does a night feeding every night anywhere between 1-4 a.m. Other than that he sleeps through, which is a relatively new occurrence. We tried to cut out his night feeding at the urging of our pediatrician, but it just made both me and him miserable. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone and that I know lots of moms with babies 7 months and older who still do a night feed. It won't last forever.
  • mrsmoose5 said:

If it makes you feel better, my 7mo still does a night feeding every night anywhere between 1-4 a.m. Other than that he sleeps through, which is a relatively new occurrence. We tried to cut out his night feeding at the urging of our pediatrician, but it just made both me and him miserable. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone and that I know lots of moms with babies 7 months and older who still do a night feed. It won't last forever.

Thanks! It does help to hear that because all of my friends' babies are not doing what he is doing so it makes me feel like we are missing something. I'm glad to hear that we are not alone. I know we've had it really good...it's just hard to get used to something that is not like what we've been doing. I know they change every time you turn around but we, as adults, are creatures of habit so it just takes some getting used to, plus I don't want to create a monster with early morning feedings that didn't exist until now! Haha!
  • Lurker here, not sure if you are still reading this, but i have a low milk supply so my almost 7 month old still wakes up 3 times a night to eat... only once a night sounds like a dream!
  • melissa11015melissa11015 member
    edited September 2015
    LauelSue08 - I know I don't have it that bad however when you become accustomed to such a schedule and it suddenly changes, you worry that you are doing or there is something wrong. This is all new to me and I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible for my LO. So even though my little guy may only suddenly wake and want attention or to eat in the motn, one time, it's different from what we are used to and it becomes a concern. I was hoping for support from the members of the bump, not a competition of who's baby does it more or which mommy has it worse.
  • LauelSue08 - I know I don't have it that bad however when you become accustomed to such a schedule and it suddenly changes, you worry that you are doing or there is something wrong. This is all new to me and I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible for my LO. So even though my little guy may only suddenly wake and want attention or to eat in the motn, one time, it's different from what we are used to and it becomes a concern. I was hoping for support from the members of the bump, not a competition of who's baby does it more or which mommy has it worse.
    I don't think she meant it that way. You did get support and hopefully things have improved. Nothing is wrong with your LO :)

• LauelSue08 - I know I don't have it that bad however when you become accustomed to such a schedule and it suddenly changes, you worry that you are doing or there is something wrong. This is all new to me and I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible for my LO. So even though my little guy may only suddenly wake and want attention or to eat in the motn, one time, it's different from what we are used to and it becomes a concern. I was hoping for support from the members of the bump, not a competition of who's baby does it more or which mommy has it worse.

I don't think she meant it that way. You did get support and hopefully things have improved. Nothing is wrong with your LO :)

Maybe I read into it too much...I am PMSing. I appologize if I jumped down your throat. I just read it as if what was happening with my LO wasn't worth the post. My bad.
  • I have a 7 1/2 mo and she gets a bottle at about 8/9 and doesn't fall asleep until 10/11... all depends. She wakes 6 hours later for a bottle, then goes right back to sleep until 7/8/9 sometimes. I don't mind it because she goes right back to sleep and I have to pump in the middle of the night anyway... BTW she only gets 5oz at every feeding.