July 2015 Moms

BFing in public

I pump and usually bring a bottle when we go out but I really want to figure out how to BF in public so I can go out all day. I have been practicing at home with a light muslin blanket over my shoulder but it's a disaster. My baby likes to unlatch, scream and has to be relatched and I seriously can't do it under the blanket cause I can't see anything. Or I go to latch him and the blanket falls off or he grabs it and pulls it in front of his face so I let go of my nipple sandwich, try to move the blanket, support his head with the other hand, etc. It's so frustrating, I start crying and cannot imagine doing it in public because all the movement would just attract even more attention. Do I just need to wait til he's older so he latches by himself or does that not happen? Any advice? I'm going crazy with this.

Re: BFing in public

• I agree to whip it out! I wear a baggier shirt with a tank top underneath so there is barely any skin showing and only for a second while I get him latched. The my baggy shirt draped over most of my boob so you just see his head!
  • Loading the player...
  • Go to uddercovers.com Google for a coupon I love mine!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I haven't nursed in public yet either but when I'm at home because I have a roommate, I wear loose shirts and pull it down and pull my bra up so there's nothing to see unless he pops off.
  • I have an udder cover & a nursing cover made by boppy
  • Can you all see under the udder cover? Or see down it or something? The issue is how much he unlatches, it's like never a one latch-drink-done kind of a thing.
  • My son is 5 weeks old and I've been nursing him in public. I'm always trying to find a spot where it's as peaceful as possible...not that it's always works out that way.. :-SS sometimes we also have this screaming situation, but luckily he is calming down pretty fast. I'm always trying to cover myself, but sometimes it's not working either. I've been breast feeding him everywhere: park, cafe, shopping center, subway station and even court house (thank God it was almost empty) X_X
  • @klirwin82 Yes you can see down into the udder cover & the boppy one...hard to explain but yes you can
  • On this same topic, I honestly can't figure out how to nurse my boy without a nursing pillow, or regular bed pillow....seems like I'm just crazy hunched over.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • True that! @tibi5 I agree
  • tibi5 said:

On this same topic, I honestly can't figure out how to nurse my boy without a nursing pillow, or regular bed pillow....seems like I'm just crazy hunched over.

I actually am more comfortable nursing without the pillow. I am not sure if it is because I am smaller built, but the pillow just seemed bulky for me
  • The udder covers have a hard piece of plastic in the top of the fabric, almost like a hat brim. You can see down the cover. Plus with it looped around your neck it stays in place better. This is my third baby and I've EBF all of my kids and I still find nursing with just a blanket hard. The covers make a huge difference.
  • I love my boppy nursing cover. It has a hard thing on top that allows you to see. Plus it's big and gives plenty of coverage. Also folds up nicely into a pouch.
  • I have been using a light muslin blanket and stick one corner under the strap of my tank top (I've been living in nursing camis since its Texas and one million degrees). It seems to help keep the blanket up.
  • Get a nursing cover they work great I have one. UdderCovers.com click shop now and after you pick one you like that's $35 or less put this promotion code in at check out FUN215UC hit apply and you'll get it for free. You will just have to pay for shipping. Hope everything works out
  • If that code doesn't work use this one SIMDK7914UC. Any of you ladies can use the code also. Happy Nursing! :)
  • If you have amazon prime you can get the udder cover cheaper than buying it off the udder site w the "free" promo code. ( shipping costs more than amazon price w free shipping) i hope this makes sense.
  • I'm not comfortable nursing in public without a cover and have the same problems.
    I usually go back to my car to nurse when we're out, I try to use a light blanket for privacy but when we're in the car if it falls off its no big deal.
    Anyone who is nosy enough to look in my car as they walk by might get a surprise lol
  • There's an eddie baeuer cover at target that you can also see down. That's what I use. I have the same problem with my LO unlatching then screaming. I've been trying different positions at home without the pillow because I also have the problem of hunching over trying to nurse him without it. I'm okay on the left side, but cannot for the life of me seem to get the same position on the right side. I think it's because I'm right handed, but since the beginning he's always nursed more comfortably on the left side (position wise)
  • ^^Yeah the right side is a pain in the ass!!! Thought it would be easier since I'm right handed but no.
  • ^^^ what's up with that?????
  • I like to leave the AC running and feed him in the comfort of the backseat of my car before we go into stores and if he gets a good long feeding in he usually just sleeps.
  • My first 2 kids did the unlatching, screaming thing constantly so it was super hard to nurse them both in public - I did it sometimes but it wasn't ever pleasant. I also need to have a burp cloth under my boob to catch the leaking that happened the 20 times they'd unlatch too. So yeah, not fun. A nursing cover did help and sometimes they'd get enough to appease them, but it wasn't really a full feeding or anything really. I'd rather nurse in the car (I even keep a boppy in our van now) because at least it's quiet and I don't feel as on display. My kids did have a period of time around 2-4 months where they were okay with nursing in public, but then after that they are so easily distractible that it's tough.

Anyway - I feel ya, maybe the car will be a better option for you?? At people's houses, I just go into another room. my baby is a much, much quieter/better nurser at first than my other 2 so I can nurse in public this time but I still don't really prefer it.
  • I'd highly recommend Latched Momma tanks or shirts. I nurse anywhere without a cover and feel completely comfortable
  • They get better as they get older and so will you! Just keep trying, one day it will just work and you'll be able to nurse anytime anywhere.
  • I'd highly recommend Latched Momma tanks or shirts. I nurse anywhere without a cover and feel completely comfortable

Thank you for this, I've been on the hunt for nursing tops every where with like zero luck!
  • I am using a Bebe Au Lait nursing cover right now. I can NIP without it, but my son has latching issues (tongue tie) and is constantly popping on and off. The curved neck of the cover allows me to see him and relatch as necessary.
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• Me personally I don't use a cover. But I just don't care lol. At my Hubby's parents place I go in another room out of courtesy for his dad but other than that our friends and family hand me a pillow and say 'have at er' lol. As for our and about I try to find a quiet place. Haven't tried in my car yet I think I'm gonna bring a pillow a friend made for me and leave it in the car so I can nurse there. I did purchase a cover from Walmart that can be tied like a scarf. It is okay cause the v neck let me see bit I find it got in the way, not sure if that's cause I'm big breasted or just cause.

Hopefully you find your groove and baby latches longer. My lactation consultant always told me position position for the unlatching so maybe the position isn't one LO likes? Not sure just mentioning it as we had some catching issues in the beginning once I found his position he latches and goes almost limp with comfort and eats.

Good luck momma!

Thank you for this, I've been on the hunt for nursing tops every where with like zero luck!

Target has nursing tanks. Motherhood maternity has nursing tanks shirts and bras. I like the tanks for home but once in awhile its nice to wear a nursing bra with a nursing shirt so I don't have so many layers on. I go to Goodwill and look for clothes because they are so expensive. I just bought 3 nursing tops and a dress for $20. (I bought my bras new from the clearance section at motherhood maternity)
  • Here's the nursing dress from Latched Momma. The tanks are awesome too. The fabric is high quality and the prices are reasonable.
  • I can't manage to use the nursing cover, because it's so hot under there, so I take my baby back to the car and don't worry about it. I nurse without a cover at home too, even though I have a roommate. He just doesn't stare.
  • Just fed baby on the patio at Starbucks! with a Bebe au lait nursing cover - and it felt liberating ! Just had to say lol