February 2016 Moms

I miss coffee

Help! I really miss coffee!! I have been reading conflicting thoughts on herbal teas. Can I drink peppermint tea or not??

Re: I miss coffee

• Why can't you drink coffee?

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • I have one cup of coffee every morning. Stay under 200mg of caffeine and you'll be fine.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Loading the player...
  • Have a cup of coffee if you want, just don't overdo it. If you're worried, consult your doctor (but they will likely tell you the same).

I can't tell you for sure if peppermint tea is bad for pregnancy or not, but it's likely fine.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Drink the coffee.
  • Any herbal tea is fine. I'm avoiding caffeine altogether also so I know the struggle. But there is 0 caffeine in herbal tea so enjoy the peppermint as long as it is labeled herbal tea.
  • Girl, drink your coffee! I'm enjoying my one cup right now. :D

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Watch what kind of tea you are buying. Similar to vitamins a lot of people don't know what actually goes into those tea bags. I'd stick with a loose leaf tea that you can see is only leaves. I'm a coffee drinker though best of luck!
  • I'm a personal trainer and wake up so so early and am about to start school again. I can't imagine going without my coffee!
  • Help! I really miss coffee!! I have been reading conflicting thoughts on herbal teas. Can I drink peppermint tea or not??

I haven't had coffee since I've became pregnant (used to drink at least 3 cups a day) .. and I haven't missed it at all but then a few days ago I was craving it so so so bad. So I had a small cup and it was so good but it gave me massive heartburn afterwards lol

• You could always try half-caf, then you can have two cups!!! That's what I've been doing since I can drink it now that the nausea's gone. Sooooo much happier!
  • At first I could not stand the sight or smell of coffee but now I am out of the morning sickness funk and allow myself to drink a cup. There is nothing wrong with a little bit. I wouldn't drink a lot but one cup a day will not hurt you or your baby.
  • Jellybelly119Jellybelly119 member
    edited August 2015
    I second the half-caff suggestion. It has been my saving grace: gives me my 2 large cups in a row like I'm used to, and enough caffeine to functions. Win-win for me!

Edit to add: a lot of herbal teas/supplements have really limited data in pregnancy. I'm definitely more comfortable having some coffee, which has been shown to be safe.
  • Honestly didn't read the replies. You can have a limited amount of caffeine every day, you don't have to completely eliminate it from your diet. You can have a cup of coffee every day. If you are trying to stay away from caffeine totally, I understand, I try to too. But buy yourself a bag of decaf or treat yourself to a cup of decaf at a coffee shop every now and then.
    Tea is ok. That is what I have primarily switched to. I drink several herbals, one I'm really liking is a peach one from teavanna. They have almost no caffeine.
  • jaimeruns said:

You could always try half-caf, then you can have two cups!!! That's what I've been doing since I can drink it now that the nausea's gone. Sooooo much happier!

This! I was going to suggest that, as it is what I do :) I actually didn't drink coffee during my first trimester. . . It added too much time to my morning routine. . . But now that I'm on a more relaxed schedule, and my ms has backed off, I am REALLY enjoying my alone time, with coffee every morning.
  • Any herbal tea is fine. I'm avoiding caffeine altogether also so I know the struggle. But there is 0 caffeine in herbal tea so enjoy the peppermint as long as it is labeled herbal tea.

This is not true. There are a lot of herbs to avoid during pregnancy due to confirmed or unknown adverse effects.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What a pp said about having caffeine now so it is sorta introduced to your baby is kinda real. Your baby learns tastes of some things based on what you consume now. Don't hurt yourself so much being "perfect" now because if you plan to breastfeed, you're going to be giving at least flavors of it to your baby then, too. And depending on how long you plan to BF, it could be a long time. I had many friends have to give up dairy and caffeine and all kinds of other foods during BFing because their child would react to it. I'm not saying having it now prevents having to avoid it during breastfeeding, but, Lord, it's a long time to deprive yourself of something that studies have shown to be safe in small amounts.
    -Kimberly :) 
    My Ridiculous Chart                                                    
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have coffee everyday. I love coffee.
  • I cut coffee the first nine weeks or so snd then started having a half cup or full cup a day. It's so good and makes me feel better. Maybe try easing into coffee again or half caff.
  • Agreed with a lot of the PPs. Definitely have your one cup of coffee a day. I started just slowly stopping because I hadn't felt like drinking it. I usually only drank a cup a day anyway. But if you are especially concerned, try half caf or decaf coffee.
  • I have a small cup a day. I used to feel bad but now I don't. That is my only vice now a days. No shame.
  • I have changed to having that fridge iced coffee in the carton, its so watered down with milk I think it has like 2 coffee beans per carton :/ but the headaches!!!
  • I bought a frapp at target this morning and then remembered about 5 minutes later that it's about 90% milk.
    So I took about 3 drinks and decided I would rather not barf. :((

I gave up caffeine about 95% so that was my splurge. I'm still sad... Mostly about my wasted $4 and I could have gotten something else
  • Studies show that anything under 200mg is fine. I still have one every morning.
  • Have your coffee! Seriously, I just realized yesterday that all the limiting I was doing for caffeine really wasn't needed. I rarely exceed a day and I will be the first to admit that I have an addiction to it. With fall coming up and pumpkin spiced lattes coming back I plan to enjoy one as often as I can.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @camusoh2011 I can't wait for pumpkin spice latte time!

I've been sticking to decaf most days, but have no problem drinking a cup of the real deal when I want it. When I discovered that Starbucks can use decaf espresso to make any of their drinks it revolutionized my attitude towards this whole watch-your-caffeine-intake thing.
  • Thanks everyone!! I used to have several cups of coffee per day (sometimes even a couple pots throughout the day
  • -(continued)--But haven't had any since I found out I was pregnant.. After reading all your responses, I think I feel safe to go for decaf
  • I think a cup of decaf coffee only has somewhere around 50-ish mg of caffeine? So even if you were to have one cup, you are still well below the limit! I don't drink coffee everyday, but when I do, I feel no shame
  • Coffee is fine! Enjoy a little. Bonus, if you drink it while pregnant it probably won't affect your baby (aka keep him or her up all night) when you drink it while breastfeeding!

Didn't even think about that! Seriously glad you mentioned that. :)
  • My doc says it's okay to drink one cup of caffeinated coffee a day! Thank goodness for that. I hate decaf
  • As soon as I hear that Starbucks has psl in I'm going there
  • I asked my doc and they said coffee is fine! Nothing wrong with a cup a day! I know some people don't wanna chance it and that's ok...but seriously a cup a day won't hurt!
  • My midwife actually Recommended I have a small amount of caffeine in the morning to help with my low blood pressure. I have had one cup of black tea every day since I started feeling better a few weeks ago.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't been able to have any coffee since I got preggers because it upsets my stomach, lattes though- yummmm. My doctor said its actually better for me to keep treating myself to them every once in a while (not going over the 8-10oz a day) because going without would stress me out way more and the stress isn't good for the nugget either!

Do what you're comfy with but don't stress yourself because that doesn't help anything!
    Feb'16 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite thing about fall

Married 05/2014
    FTM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Scratch that! Just read an article saying PSL wasn't being introduced until Sept. 8 (my anniversary!) nationally with early access to some on Sept. 4

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016