Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

discipline

Does anyone have any good books or resources on disciplining toddlers/children? I'm at a loss on what to do. My 15 month old seems very strong willed, so I know I am going to need some help!

Re: discipline

• Most things with toddlers you redirect, ignore or demonstrate appropriate behavior because most of the negative behaviors are par for the course. People tend to panic when toddlers starting acting out, defying your requests and flat out ignoring what you tell them to do but it's all normal.

We started time out's for my son at 17 months old for hitting only. The rest of the behaviors we ignored or redirected. I did read part of Happiest Toddler on the Block and it was pretty informative.

The #1 most important thing is to have structure and be consistent.

• I agree with Ms. McGee. The knee jerk reaction when your toddler starts to act up is to nip it in the bud. However, testing the limits of the world around them is part of their development at this age.

With my 20 month old, we do a lot of redirection and we get her involved with our activities so we aren't setting her up for "failure". For example, when we go to the grocery store, she sits in the cart quietly and co-operate IF she gets to hold the shopping list. Or when we are preparing dinner, we let her bring dishes and stuff to the dinner table to keep her busy while we are working.

By setting her up for "failure", I am specifically talking about putting her in a situation in which the end result would be unacceptable behaviour.
  • Loading the player...
  • mhwood said:
    I agree with Ms. McGee. The knee jerk reaction when your toddler starts to act up is to nip it in the bud. However, testing the limits of the world around them is part of their development at this age.

With my 20 month old, we do a lot of redirection and we get her involved with our activities so we aren't setting her up for "failure". For example, when we go to the grocery store, she sits in the cart quietly and co-operate IF she gets to hold the shopping list. Or when we are preparing dinner, we let her bring dishes and stuff to the dinner table to keep her busy while we are working.

By setting her up for "failure", I am specifically talking about putting her in a situation in which the end result would be unacceptable behaviour.
    Great advice. And besides just involving them, it's good to give them a heads up when something is changing. I give my 3.5 year tons of "warnings" that we are about the leave the park, or it's almost time for a bath, etc.
  • My DD is 19 months and I was just saying to my DH tonight how she's become so challenging almost overnight (it feels)! My biggest issue right now is biting. She was bit by another child a few months ago and since then she has been biting....typically only me, occasionally daddy as well. I have tried everything...I am at a loss !
  • My favorite discipline guru is John Rosemond  I know he has a book called "making the terrible two's terrific" but I think that might be the youngest age he addresses
  • Hi,
    how my son keeps biting... any recommendations? 
  • Hi,

I'll paste my response above here for you. Same thing applies for biting that does for hitting:

"Most things with toddlers you redirect, ignore or demonstrate appropriate behavior because most of the negative behaviors are par for the course. People tend to panic when toddlers starting acting out, defying your requests and flat out ignoring what you tell them to do but it's all normal.

We started time out's for my son at 17 months old for hitting only. The rest of the behaviors we ignored or redirected. I did read part of Happiest Toddler on the Block and it was pretty informative.

The #1 most important thing is to have structure and be consistent".

• Hi,

Check out this thread:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12620059/help-19-month-old-pinching-and-biting#latest