Trying to Get Pregnant

Face breaking out

Hi all. I've been searching to see if this question was already asked but couldn't find anything on the TTC boards (and I'm still new here). I've been off birth control for about two months now and the first month I was off everything was normal. Got AF when I expected etc. I'm in my TWW right now and will probably test this Friday. So here's the question: this past week I've been severely breaking out on my face. Big red painful zits. I've never broken out this much but wondering if its just my body adjusted to not being on BC anymore? Any other women experience this? Early sign of pregnancy? I tested yesterday at 8 DPO (I know, too early but I couldn't help myself!) and got a BFN. Other than slight breast tenderness, no other symptoms. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question! Still learning my way around. Thanks in advance for advice/tips! 
Me: 22 | DH: 26
Married: June 2014
TTC #1: July 2015

Best Answer

Re: Face breaking out

• Hi all. I've been searching to see if this question was already asked but couldn't find anything on the TTC boards (and I'm still new here). I've been off birth control for about two months now and the first month I was off everything was normal. Got AF when I expected etc. I'm in my TWW right now and will probably test this Friday. So here's the question: this past week I've been severely breaking out on my face. Big red painful zits. I've never broken out this much but wondering if its just my body adjusted to not being on BC anymore? Any other women experience this? Early sign of pregnancy? I tested yesterday at 8 DPO (I know, too early but I couldn't help myself!) and got a BFN. Other than slight breast tenderness, no other symptoms. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question! Still learning my way around. Thanks in advance for advice/tips! 

It's your body adjusting. You're just gonna have to up your face washing game.

As an aside, we don't symptom spot here, if you're pregnant enough for symptoms you are pregnant enough to turn a test.

• Loading the player...
  • I get zits during my tww all the time now. I never had a problem with it until my last pregnancy. Hormones do crazy things!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Before you break TOU, acne is a reaction to going off hormonal BC. I went off BC last year while DH was deployed and broke out like crazy. As soon as I went back on, it got better. Unfortunately there are few dermatological options while TTC. In fact, I had to call my doctor yesterday because he prescribed me prenatals and a acne treatment I can't use while TTC.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I've found that coconut oil and a exfoliating scrub help me the most. Then just a basic cleanser.

• Stress
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• That happen to me to when I went off of BC. Also another tip that helps with acne using lotion after washing it, it seems wrong to lotion a face that has acne but it really helps and u can do that while TTC.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I also use tea tree oil as a spot treatment and coconut oil as a night moisturizer. It's counter intuitive, but overdrying can cause breakouts as much as underwashing.
  • BC makes acne better. When you go off bc your skin goes back to what it would normally do. You may have forgotten what normal is for your skin if you were on bc for a long time
  • I went off BC in December. I am currently in my TWW and I am breaking out also. I am just charting my symptoms to see if maybe that's just normal for me. I would suggest just charting everything for a bunch of cycles and maybe you will start to see some patterns and learn your body more.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Ditto what everyone else already said. When I went off BC after 10+ years, my skin was a nightmare. Didn't happen immediately, but within a month or two. A year and a half later it's mostly calm, though I definitely get mild breakouts every TWW. It helps to minimize eating greasy food and make sure to keep your hands off your face.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• A note on tea tree oil. There was a study I read about (I can't recall where, but I'm sure it's easily found). That compared it to Proactive in effectiveness for mild acne issues. I try to use some every few days, it will burn your skin if you aren't careful though. You can also buy a cleanser with some already in it :) my mom has suffered from cystic acne her entire life and finds a combo of coconut oil and tea tree oil is what helps the most. And just a good cleanser/moisturizing routine

• Lulucooks said:

A note on tea tree oil. There was a study I read about (I can't recall where, but I'm sure it's easily found). That compared it to Proactive in effectiveness for mild acne issues. I try to use some every few days, it will burn your skin if you aren't careful though. You can also buy a cleanser with some already in it :) my mom has suffered from cystic acne her entire life and finds a combo of coconut oil and tea tree oil is what helps the most. And just a good cleanser/moisturizing routine

You can also cut it with an oil, like grape seed oil if you have sensitive skin. That's interesting, I had never heard those study results before, but I find it's very effective. Just make sure you moisturizer or your skin may get too dry and tight.
  • I have also been off BC for two months and my face sure does goes through its breakouts. I will have to try what you all are recommending with the different oils! I hope this doesn't last too much longer though.
    Married: August 2012
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• smvb53 said:

Looks like you need some of The Zit Remedy.

@smvb53 everybody wants sommmmmmething they'll neeeeeever give up!
    Me: 37, DH: 44
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Canada

• @kaydeeaye I should have guessed a Canadian bumpie would notice that one. :):):)
  • Hi all. I've been searching to see if this question was already asked but couldn't find anything on the TTC boards (and I'm still new here). I've been off birth control for about two months now and the first month I was off everything was normal. Got AF when I expected etc. I'm in my TWW right now and will probably test this Friday. So here's the question: this past week I've been severely breaking out on my face. Big red painful zits. I've never broken out this much but wondering if its just my body adjusted to not being on BC anymore? Any other women experience this? Early sign of pregnancy? I tested yesterday at 8 DPO (I know, too early but I couldn't help myself!) and got a BFN. Other than slight breast tenderness, no other symptoms. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question! Still learning my way around. Thanks in advance for advice/tips! 

I break out right before my period. Every time I've been pregnant it has done amazing things for my skin. "the glow" was real & my skin was flawless.

So, in my experience (which means squat for you, really) breaking out is the harbinger of period doom.

Good luck though.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• meggyme said:

I also use tea tree oil as a spot treatment and coconut oil as a night moisturizer. It's counter intuitive, but overdrying can cause breakouts as much as underwashing.

Definitely this too.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I also break out before my period. Use an exfoliating face wash. I've heard the Body Shop has good tea tree stuff. I use Lush's grease lightning spot treatment and enzymion moisturizer. My face likes when I keep it simple. Good luck.
  • You all are so great! I will definitely be trying some new things out! I've never had acne like this before and it is beyond frustrating. I feel like girl going through puberty again! UGH. 

Thanks again!!
    Me: 22 | DH: 26
    Married: June 2014
  • I never had a problem with breaking out. I stopped my birth control pill in April of this year and now my face and neck break out and I hate it! It's definitely our bodies adjusting. Hormones can do some crazy things! Best of luck to you! :)
  • You all are so great! I will definitely be trying some new things out! I've never had acne like this before and it is beyond frustrating. I feel like girl going through puberty again! UGH. 

Thanks again!!
    That's exactly what is happening when you go off the pill.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• So this is gonna sound extremely strange. But trust me. I don't suffer from acne nearly as bad as I used to, but when I was a teenager the struggle was real. I tried all the acne treatments. Someone recommended to me using Destin diaper rash cream. Before going to bed apply a mask of Desitin to your face and sleep in it. Wash your face well in the morning with soap and water. Acne clears quickly and leaves your skin extra soft. Now when I get a breakout. I zap a little desitin on it and sleep in it. Zit is remarkably smaller in the morning.
  • Lulucooks said:
    A note on tea tree oil. There was a study I read about (I can't recall where, but I'm sure it's easily found). That compared it to Proactive in effectiveness for mild acne issues. I try to use some every few days, it will burn your skin if you aren't careful though. You can also buy a cleanser with some already in it :) my mom has suffered from cystic acne her entire life and finds a combo of coconut oil and tea tree oil is what helps the most. And just a good cleanser/moisturizing routine
    Tea tree oil is my favorite.   I use it as a spot treatment (with a cotton swab), then after it dries I apply either daytime or nighttime non-comedogenic moisturizer.  I have found it's best not to over-do it with your skin.  Before I found the right routine, I feel like I was over-exfoliating and applying too many different types of acne medication which was just further irritating my skin.  Also, make sure you are cleaning your makeup brushes, use gentle makeup, and don't constantly touch your face during the day.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP