Breastfeeding

Trying to decide if I should stop breastfeeding at 6 mos

Hi I'm looking for help in making a decision. I have talked to my Dr but I would like the advice of some of you other mamas out there. I want to keep breastfeeding but 1- I'm exhausted both from still getting up in the middle of the night, and then just the fact that it takes a "lot out of you" I'm general 2- I'm on medication that although doctors say does not have enough of an effect,it still makes me nervous 3- another thing that makes me nervous is how healthy I have to eat, I try the best I can but sometimes with working full time it's hard to get in all the nutrients or find time to cook 4- I have heard that at 6 months the nutrients are the same in formula as in breast milk. I of course go looking online for answers and that only freaks me out more when I convince myself hat formula is a bad idea and feel like I might be making the wrong decision. I know breastfeeding is best but is formula really that bad?! Please help! Thank you in advance!

Re: Trying to decide if I should stop breastfeeding at 6 mos

• If you want to keep BFing, what would make the difference for each of those items that would make it doable? My DH helped overnight (delaying baby or using one bottle BM). When I ate out (every lunch, some dinners) I made good choices... and still do (veggie side for me and one fry from a friend). I started feeding my babe real food. If EBF isn't possible then you could introduce formula slowly (with DD I did at 7mo due to supply - 1-2 oz to start).

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1) Its not likely that your baby will wake less just because you introduce solids or formula. Imagine getting up just as much and trying to fix bottles instead of nursing. Have you looked into co-sleeping or room sharing? 2) Completely understandable, have you spoken with your pediatrician? A lactation consultant could also help assuage your fears 3) Even malnutritioned mothers make enough milk with all the correct nutrients in it for their babies. Yes, it's important to eat as healthy as possible, but reality is your not always going to be putting good food on the table (SAHM here and I have days where boxed Mac n cheese is dinner). Breastmilk is a complete food and takes no time to prepare...4) This one I can't answer, breastmilk is all my DS has ever had and it has tons of benefits, the WHO and AAP have said that two years and one year of breastfeeding are going to give the most benefits to your baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much for all of your answers! I don't have many people to talk to about this since we moved a couple years ago (and still have yet to meet other moms) so I appreciate the help very much. As you can tell I am struggling but I know breastfeeding is best and I will be using some of your suggestions.
  • I too am so tired from pumping at work and up with night feedings. I was considering using formula when I was at work and still breastfeeding when with baby
  • Co sleeping saved me! I didn't think I would do it but it's different once you try it :) hope that helps!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Think of it this way... The whole breast is best phenomenon started in the 90s. Prior to this most babies were formula fed. Here's a thought... Ask your doctor if he/she was formula fed (and they most likely were). Formula or BM makes no difference in the end. How you parent will be the key on how your child grows in the end (emotionally, spiritually, and physically).
  • @etayislove and @meltwithyou said would I would have said. With #4 though, formula and breast milk are not the same at 6 months. Formula provides basic nutrition, yes, and I don't consider it poison. However, breast milk has living cells, antibodies, stem cells and continues to change to meet your baby's nutritional needs over the course of the next year. Plus, it's still free, formula is expensive!