March 2016 Moms

Baby Shower/Gender Reveal

Re: Baby Shower/Gender Reveal

• smount2011smount2011 member
    edited August 2015
    I'm the opposite of most from the looks of it. I hate baby showers. I had a rough time at my shower for my daughter, mainly because she was there, and hardly anyone showed. I hate playing games too.

Hubby and i want to do a gender reveal party, for Halloween. That would be about the time we would find out anyway. My last MC was Halloween 2011, so it would be nice to turn an otherwise horrible day into a nice happy day again :).
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • smushi said:
    Gotta love the patrolling shower police :)
    LOL I love how if someone offers an opinion that doesn't agree with others, we're now the shower police.

I'd watch the name calling, it's a violation of TOU 
    ;;)
  • Well, that's the beauty of the Internet, I'm free to post where I please.  If I feel that I can add insight, information, or an opinion on a thread, I post.  There's no hard fast rule that I can't.

You don't like what I have to say, that's fine.  We can agree to disagree.  
  • Wow, I think everyone is over thinking this!!! I had 2 showers with my first, we didn't find out gender until our daughter was born. We got a ton of cute, useful items. One aunt bought us frilly dresses because she said she only buys girl gifts, haha.

Anyway, it's not like OP is going to say "if you don't buy me X, Y, Z then don't bother coming" she would just rather get a grey and yellow crib sheet than pink roses, or white onesies with animals instead of blue ones covered in baseballs.

OP, I say do what you want to do. A shower w/ a reveal sounds like a fun party to me.
  • This is obviously a UO but I like gender reveal parties.  We won't be having one since this is our 2nd but they are very popular where I live. I love watching my friends reactions when they find out the sex of their baby. If we end up having the blood test to find out I want to have a friend order a cake for us so me, DH and DS can all find out at the same time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • smushi said:
    smushi said:
    LOL I love how if someone offers an opinion that doesn't agree with others, we're now the shower police.

;;)

Only if you assume I'm talking about you ;). But that could be construed as vanity. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about you. Offering a differing opinion is one thing. Shoving ideas down others' throats and then heehawing like a toddler "you're wrong, I'm right!" is another thing. But of course, I'm not talking about "you".
    Then who are you referencing?  Or will you choose not to say and hide behind your passive aggressive insults?  It's cool with me, I don't mind if someone calls me a name because it shows a better picture of their true character.  

• smushi said:
    smushi said:

;;)

Only if you assume I'm talking about you ;). But that could be construed as vanity. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about you. Offering a differing opinion is one thing. Shoving ideas down others' throats and then heehawing like a toddler "you're wrong, I'm right!" is another thing. But of course, I'm not talking about "you".
    Then who are you referencing?  Or will you choose not to say and hide behind your passive aggressive insults?  It's cool with me, I don't mind if someone calls me a name because it shows a better picture of their true character.  

Ahh thus is the beauty of the internet.
  • I thought so.
  • I'm not a fan of reveal party's... I plan on telling close family and friends and then if anyone else wants to know they can come see the nursery to figure it out. I've also though about anouncing it on the baby shower invite.
  • Sadly ladies I'll say this conversation is the problem of having a uter"US" - now that everyone sees you have a full one you'll get a million and one opinions about everything you do, showers, reveal parties, how you feed your baby, how you dress them, seriously....because the world feels your uterUS is now fair game :P
  • BHodd said:
    Sadly ladies I'll say this conversation is the problem of having a uter"US" - now that everyone sees you have a full one you'll get a million and one opinions about everything you do, showers, reveal parties, how you feed your baby, how you dress them, seriously....because the world feels your uterUS is now fair game :P
    If you don't want your "uterus" to be fair game, don't labor (no pun intended) under the illusion that other people care THAT MUCH about the genitals owned by its occupant. Once you start inviting people to a party (esp a shower which is a gift-giving event), you must consider your guests' feelings, and that means avoiding The Tacky and The Rude at all costs.  

• So, I've been "lurking" to get a feel for this board because I'm considering switching over here since my due date is 2-29 and I figure I will most likely deliver in March anyway (this is my first baby.) There was a similar debate about these reveal parties on my board and whether they were appropriate and whether or not people would even want to attend. Here's an idea: Maybe ask your friends and family members (the ones who you trust will give you an honest opinion) how they feel about you having said party? I've had several friends and family members tell me already that they wanted me to have a reveal party and thought it would be fun (I didn't even bring up the idea---it was all them.) I don't feel like planning one, but if I can get one of them to plan it for me why not? Sorry if I sound lazy, but I already have a lot of planning to do with a new baby on the way :-)
  • @AmandaSan, I feel the same way. This is likely our last pregnancy, and reveal parties weren't really a "thing" yet with my last two, 8 and 6 years ago. I thought it would be kind of fun, but only with close family (no family live in town, but the in-laws will be there within a week or two of when we'd likely be able to find out) and friends. And I don't want it combined with a shower, so I thought we'd just have a cocktail party! It's my close girlfriends that have suggested a party at all. And they want to throw a shower for me in February, as we'd gotten rid of all our baby stuff! I'm just grateful for the generosity. I do want to make it clear to those we invite to the reveal that it is not a shower, just a celebration.
  • swattney said:
    Wow. Came back to this and did not expect some type of escalation. I'm glad everyone had such strong opinions. I highly doubt my friends and family will feel manipulated. I don't see why gender neutral/practical gifts are a bad thing. To each their own. I think I'll stay away from boards from here on out. I'm happy I'm pregnant and everyone has their opinions I just don't think it needs to be a fight. We all have enough life stress to deal with without battling on forums. Sex, gender, party, no party, tell people, don't tell people. Whatever. Enjoy your pregnancies!!! I know I will!

Just ignore the "baby shower police", you have every right to have whatever kind of baby/sex reveal shower you want. My two cents would be that if you do announce the sex before your baby shower, have something written on the invitations stating that you want gender neutral items. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • To the OP, I'm not sure who you registered with but on the babies r us registry you have the option to add a little message so people looking over the registry can see it. Maybe putting the message there saying you'd prefer general neutral on everything? Obviously in your own words, mine suck lol. I'm sure you'll get some things that aren't, so maybe also add to include gift receipt? Not sure if everyone does that still, I do. That way if you do end up with a few things you don't like, you can return them and pick what you like =]
  • @ecwk was there a point in your response besides being completely useless? Bye.
  • ecwkecwk member
    edited August 2015
    Edited because my gif didn't work. Bummer.

@beccabeeee you don't think I just paraphrased what you suggested?

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• fwtx5815 said:
    swattney said:
    Wow. Came back to this and did not expect some type of escalation. I'm glad everyone had such strong opinions. I highly doubt my friends and family will feel manipulated. I don't see why gender neutral/practical gifts are a bad thing. To each their own. I think I'll stay away from boards from here on out. I'm happy I'm pregnant and everyone has their opinions I just don't think it needs to be a fight. We all have enough life stress to deal with without battling on forums. Sex, gender, party, no party, tell people, don't tell people. Whatever. Enjoy your pregnancies!!! I know I will!

Just ignore the "baby shower police", you have every right to have whatever kind of baby/sex reveal shower you want. My two cents would be that if you do announce the sex before your baby shower, have something written on the invitations stating that you want gender neutral items. Good luck!
    ------qbf----- the entitlement is strong on this one

I guess what I meant for those who took what I said so literally, OP shouldn't worry about what is "right or wrong" as defined by "the etiquette police" and do what works for her and her family and friends.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This weekend all my family was together and I brought the idea of a gender reveal party. They all loved the idea! I did explain how I'd just want dinner, the reveal, and no gifts. Also, that my husband and I would find out the gender at the same time as them. Everyone really liked the idea and thought it would be fun! Then again my group of friends & family always likes a reason to have a get together to drink and be merry! I would suggest if you want to have a gender reveal party that you just bring up the idea to your family and friends, and go from there.
  • ecwkecwk member
    fmraglio said:

ecwk said:

Edited because my gif didn't work. Bummer.

@beccabeeee you don't think I just paraphrased what you suggested?

Your gif didn't work because it's not needed here.
    You know damn well you didn't "paraphrase" her post. Get over yourself.

To OP, I say do what you want to do. There are a few users here that jump board to board to attack others and they aren't well received on any board, so I would just ignore them if I were you. You know your friends best, and I get your intentions of coming here for advice but ultimately you should do what's best for your friends and family. Personally I wouldn't have a sex reveal and baby shower combo, but I would love to attend one, I think it'd be fun. That being said, they're pretty common where I live in the same way as co-ed showers are. I think where you live makes a huge difference in how parties such as this are received and I loved the idea of asking a few close friends that you trust for their opinion.

Easy there. I'm not here to attack anyone. How I phrased my comment was indeed a paraphrase of the PPs, whether you admit it or not. I was highlighting exactly how such a stipulation on a registry can be and is perceived by some people including myself. Maybe you don't agree but I think it is in poor taste to dictate what someone buys you. In my experience, most people provide gift receipts anyway so that point was redundant. My point was also directed at the PP not at the OP herself, I'm sure she can make up her own mind after reading all of the comments here. Just because you don't think the same as I do doesn't mean that my opinion (or my gifs!) aren't needed here. Other people's opinions matter too, perhaps you are the one who should 'get over yourself'.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ecwk @ChiccoBeanz has appointed herself queen of the bump apparently. She seems to go hopping from one board to the next deeming which responses are appropriate and allowed.
    I've noticed this as well but she seems perfectly content calling out other posters for 'board hopping.'
  • OP ignore the drama. You know your family and friends, no one else here does. Do whatever you want and realize you may have some side eyes for your choices. But guess what? You will when you're a mom too. Your decisions you make from here on out are not going to be received with support 100% of the time anyways. Do what you want, while hopefully being respectful of others, and stand by your decisions.

• ChiccoBeanzChiccoBeanz member
    edited August 2015
    Random double post issue...oops 
  • edited August 2015
    But... but... "Sex Reveal" sounds like a swingers party... Gender reveal sounds better, whatever. People need to stop being so hypersensitive.
  • But... but... "Sex Reveal" sounds like a swingers party... Gender reveal sounds better, whatever. People need to stop being so hypersensitive.
    Or perhaps people could choose to educate themselves and be informed in order to be more sensitive to those who this affects.  

Kindness matters.
  • Seeing that the OP posted 5 days ago on this, is she even paying attention to this thread anymore???
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• skruhmin said:

Seeing that the OP posted 5 days ago on this, is she even paying attention to this thread anymore???

Probably not. It's much more important for both the "etiquette police" and the "anti etiquette brigade" to go back and forth on dead threads. No one cares about helping the OP at this point.