March 2016 Moms

Caffeine

BrittPfeiferBrittPfeifer member
edited August 2015 in March 2016 Moms
Do any of you drink a cup of coffee or soda on occasion? The doctors said you can have up to 2 cups or 2 sodas a day. Has anyone had a baby who had their share of caffeine? Is your baby healthy?

Re: Caffeine

• I drink a cup of coffee maybe every other day and thats mainly to keep my sanity. I am having a MR Pibb today and i see it has 66mg of caffeine but i didn't have coffee. I did the same with my DD and shes fine!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks! My DH is pretty skeptical. Hearing responses like this will hopefully get him off my case :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't drink coffee during most of the first trimester (week 6ish to 11ish) because it makes me gag, but you bet I have plenty as soon as the food aversion goes away. Last pregnancy, my OB told me to drink more coffee to help with hormonal headaches, about two cups a day. My daughter is perfectly fine. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great to hear!
  • This might actually make you feel better.  With my first I consumed no caffeine.  With my 2nd I had 1 cup of tea/day (I'm not a coffee drinker) and with my 3rd I had 2 glasses of tea or pop a day.  At 6, 4 and 1.5 I can't tell any difference in them.  If anything, the oldest is the more strong willed, stubborn one, but I think that is more to do with being first born and not lack of caffeine in the womb ;)

FWIW I'm continuing to have 2 caffeinated beverages with this 4th pregnancy, that's just the limit I feel comfortable with and can make it through the day on. 
  • I am also told to drink one to two cups a day since I'm prone to some nasty migraines! It was the same with my dd and she is fine!
    View Full Size Image
    Happily Married 7/2011
    DD Born 8/2013
    Baby Due July/2015(Loss Dec2014)
    Baby #2 Due March/2016

• This is great feedback! Thanks!!
  • Let me offer you the other side. I had no caffeine with my son. He was so sensitive to it while I was breastfeeding, I had to cut it out of my diet or he would not sleep. With this one, I am drinking coffee as I can, but never more than one pop or one cup of coffee a day.
  • aeh8810 said:
    Let me offer you the other side. I had no caffeine with my son. He was so sensitive to it while I was breastfeeding, I had to cut it out of my diet or he would not sleep. With this one, I am drinking coffee as I can, but never more than one pop or one cup of coffee a day.
    that's a good point, some babies are sensitive to it and it's a real bummer to have to cut it out while breastfeeding!
  • I cut out coffee and soda completely, but drink iced tea as I want it. Usually I do water all day at work and switch to iced tea for dinner, so I don't bother tracking it at all.

I cut out soda more because it just makes me feel awful! I already have gas and bloating as symptoms and anything carbonated would send me over the edge. I'm uncomfortable enough and there's nothing good in soda anyhow!
  • I have 1-2 cups of coffee/pop a day - I cannot take care of the other three tiny humans without some caffeine! Have done the same with each pregnancy and all healthy babies.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • I had my first coffee in a while at 7 weeks today. I feel more nauseous. But maybe it's just me!
  • I had 1-2 cups a day with my first. He ended up with cryptorchidism. I later read some studies that have found a link between caffeine consumption during pregnancy and an increased risk of cryptorchidism in infants. Now, certainly, I don't know that is what caused it. However, I am steering clear this time just to be safe. It helps that I can't even stomach any coffee right now anyways. 

imageimage

• I also suffer from migraines, and cannot take my migraine medicine while pregnant. I don't drink coffee, but if I feel a headache coming on, my doctor suggests to take Tylenol and have a caffeinated drink. That's typically the only time I drink anything caffeinated though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also suffer from migraines, and cannot take my migraine medicine while pregnant. I don't drink coffee, but if I feel a headache coming on, my doctor suggests to take Tylenol and have a caffeinated drink. That's typically the only time I drink anything caffeinated though.
    That's essentially what fioricet is - caffeine and Tylenol (if your migraines get bad enough)
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I probably have two cokes a day.  I did the same with my first LO.  According to caffeine intake charts I've found, two cokes (cans) is about half the daily caffeine limit for pregnancy.
  • LoALoA member
    Yes... I cannot let go of my coffee! I have two healthy boys, never had any complications with either pregnancy due to my caffeine intake
  • I have 1-2 small cups of coffee a day. This is about the same amount that I had with my last baby and she is perfectly healthy.
  • ceds07ceds07 member
    edited August 2015
    I have one HUGE (20oz.) cup of very strong coffee every morning. I did the same thing with my daughter and she's totally fine. If anything I could stand for her to be a little less of a smart a$$ ;-)

Also - I realize this might be controversial but I firmly believe that a lot of the recommendations for PG diet are a bit CYA on the part of doctors. Like they obviously can't test to get to a "maximum level" so they issue an absolute NO on alcohol, cheese, etc. instead. The fact that they give a guideline for caffeine should tell you it's MORE than safe to have at least half that amount. Just wanted to point that out in case it makes your husband think about it differently.
  • I had one canned soda almost everyday when I was pregnant with DS and he is totally fine. Very intelligent and well adjusted. :) I am going the same thing this time. I also drink a ton of water. I did get away from diet coke though.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • skruhmin said:

I also suffer from migraines, and cannot take my migraine medicine while pregnant. I don't drink coffee, but if I feel a headache coming on, my doctor suggests to take Tylenol and have a caffeinated drink. That's typically the only time I drink anything caffeinated though.

That's essentially what fioricet is - caffeine and Tylenol (if your migraines get bad enough)

I'll keep that in mind, thank you! I've never heard of it, so I am glad to know there is something out there!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• aeh8810 said:
    Let me offer you the other side. I had no caffeine with my son. He was so sensitive to it while I was breastfeeding, I had to cut it out of my diet or he would not sleep. With this one, I am drinking coffee as I can, but never more than one pop or one cup of coffee a day.
    I had the same experience with my baby.  I didn't realize it was because I avoided caffeine while I was pregnant, until I read the post above.  With my son, I only had one cup of decaf coffee a day.  Then, when I was breastfeeding, he was so sensitive to caffeine.  I discovered this by keeping a food journal and tracking his symptoms. I narrowed it down to tomato sauce and coffee.  Anyway, I had to cut both completely out of my diet.  Once I did that, we didn't have problems breastfeeding.  So, this time around, I'm drinking 1 cup of caffeinated coffee a day. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I drank a cup of coffee most days during my 2nd and 3rd trimesters with my daughter. She was still sensitive to caffeine while she was breastfeeding; I actually had to get rid of frozen breast milk that I had pumped while drinking coffee because it would make her restless and irritable.

I'm currently not drinking coffee, but only because the smell turns me off. I don't drink any other caffeinated beverages.

• My mother hated coffee until she got pregnant with me, and then she craved it. I've been drinking coffee since the womb (with a brief hiatus until I was 5). My mother's coffee is like mud, it's so strong. My doctor tells me that I can have a cup of regular a day, and all decaf after that. It also helps with my migraines. Coffee, extra strength Tylenol, cold compress, total darkness.
  • I find no caffine at all would result in headaches in the afternoon... so I have a couple of cups of tea, coffee or soda... I am really trying to cut down on soda at all... I have been substituting flavoured sparkling waters and that seems to help
  • I had a large McDonald's dr pepper almost everyday of my 3rd tri with my son. He is fine. I am careful about it in the 1st tri (1caff beverage/day) bc I read there is an increased risk of mc. BUT I scandalously had a ham sandwich from subway last week. Yum.
  • ARogers26 said:
    I had a large McDonald's dr pepper almost everyday of my 3rd tri with my son. He is fine. I am careful about it in the 1st tri (1caff beverage/day) bc I read there is an increased risk of mc. BUT I scandalously had a ham sandwich from subway last week. Yum.
    How dare you ;)
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I drink 2-3 teas/sodas a day. Did the same with my 1st and he is perfectly fine. 

I also eat a turkey sandwich almost every day for lunch. :-O
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • AlphabetFishAlphabetFish member
    edited August 2015
    I've had sodas here and there (I never liked coffee). I looked it up: the study that came out linking caffeine and miscarriages indicated that the safe limit (erring on the side of caution) is 200mg per day. The sodas I was drinking had only 41mg (and I only had 1 per day).

You ladies might also find this website useful: https://www.caffeineinformer.com/

It tells you how much caffeine is in sodas or coffees, etc.

• With my previous pregnancy, I did about 1-2 cups of tea or coffee a day and I'm doing this same thing this time.  I just cannot function without caffeine and I CANNOT poop without it!!!!  I was also drinking coffee when breastfeeding (mainly after the 3rd month when I returned to work) and I didn't see any effect on my LO.  I do know that some babies are more sensitive to caffeine.  Maybe because she is used to it while she was in me, it didn't really make any difference.  

For your reference, my hubby was pretty against me drinking coffee during my last pregnancy.  He eventually got over it because he started to see how miserable I was.  I tried not to drink drip coffee or espresso, but a light cup of joe or green tea really helped me, mentally at least.  
  • I didn't have anything until we heard a heart beat (8 weeks 4 days). My doctor said it's fine to have a cup a day, so I maybe have one every couple of days. I try not to rely on it, but some days I just need the damn thing! I drink tea mostly just to mix up my water intake and not go crazy! I'm not a big soda person.