Breastfeeding
Options

Premie in the NICU

Hi all! So my little boy was born Thursday at 34 weeks and only 2lbs 13ozs because of my preeclampsia and blood pressure. My milk has yet to come in and so far I've only gotten like 3-6 mls of colostrum from my pumping sessions. When I first got pregnant breast feeding was not important to me, it was just something I'd try and if it worked it worked and if not then oh well! Well now with my circumstances it is more important than anything to get my milk for him! So if anybody has any advice I would love to hear it!

Re: Premie in the NICU

• Options
    First, congratulations on your little guy! Second, what an amazing thing you are doing for him. Pumping is a commitment and it sounds like you are up for it!
    My advice would be to drink water and then drink some more. Try to relax as much as possible and if you ever have any questions that you feel like you need someone physically one-on-one with you, don't hesitate to bring in an LC. You got this!
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers for your little man!! My little guy had to be in the NICU for a couple days after delivery and I had this same problem. Best thing you can do is pump, pump, pump. My first three days pumping only produced less than 5mls of colostrum. After we were discharged I rented a hospital grade pump because the hospital LC said this would be the best way to start a milk supply and that most retail pumps aren't strong enough to do this. Not sure what kind of pump you're using, but while you're visiting your little one the hospital should be able to provide you with one of their pumps to use.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Buy the Lansinoh Thera-Pearls to apply heat while pumping. I noticed it helped boost output slightly for me, every little ml helps!!
  • Options
    My twin boys were both in the NICU for 12 days, so I know what you are going through. Keep in mind your LO doesn't need a great quantity of food right now, so even small amounts of colostrum are helpful. They will probably have to give him some formula, but our NICU was super supportive of breastfeeding. The nurses helped me try to latch the boys even though they were too small to nurse, and really encouraged skin to skin. I would try to pump in the room with your LO as much as you can, pumping just after I held the baby or even just in the room with them made a big difference. Drink tons of water! I also took Fenugreek for a couple weeks but it didn't make a huge difference and it upset my stomach so I stopped it.
  • Options
    My LO was born at 35 and in nicu for two weeks. Drink a ton of water and pump. It will improve! I did every three hours and they were able to tube feed it so we avoided any formula. Also if your pump has it, play around with the settings. I have the Medela and I was able to fine tune it to my body's needs to help milk come in strong.
    Good luck
  • Options
    My little girl was born early as well and like you I committed to pumping for her. Talk about hard work!!

If I can offer any advice, be patient. It took a few weeks for me to start producing milk beyond a couple of mls. Not being with your baby 24/7 bc they're in the NICU makes it harder.

I started on lactation supplements early and drink a ton of water. I down a bottle every time I pump and drink it consistently throughout the day. I also asked the hospital for one of my baby's blankets to keep with me while I'm pumping.

Play around with Your pump setting and Flange size too. Those can effect your production. I recently switched to pumping pals flanges and they really help with comfort and production.

Best of luck to you and your little one!
  • Options
    I have a 32 weeker who spent 3 weeks in the NICU before he came home. While he was in the hospital my supply was all but none existent. But it's matched his needs everyday since he's been home! Pump, pump, pump. Every 3 hours AT LEAST and defiantly anytime you begin to feel a let down or sensation in your breasts. Your emotions are going crazy and there will be days that you just cry over your little one when you look at all the tubes and monitors. It's hard, but your tears don't help your milk. My supply always dropped on the days that I felt overwhelmed and upset. Get as much skin to skin time as you can and pump right after at the bedside if possible. Our NICU brought me a pump beside his box so I could pump with one hand on him. Drink water, get rest, try all the things (supplements, cookies, different techniques) - you won't know what worked but when it's all you can do it helps focus all the mommy energy on caring for your little one.