Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TV shows portrayal of TTC

LulucooksLulucooks member
edited August 2015 in Trying to Get Pregnant
So I've been slowly getting through Scrubs on Netflix. One of the character couples decided to TTC. The way the writers portrayed their journey was fairly laughable. Of course they had to have the woman taking her temp just randomly, it seemed, in the middle of the day. They spoke about lifting her pelvis so the semen can rest against her cervix. First month, BFN. Second month she gets testing done, BFN. Now they think it's him and he gets testing done, BFP. Its shit like this that causes people to think that after 3 months "somethings wrong".

I'm sure everyone has seen this type of thing on TV or in the movies. When I was thinking of temping I kept picturing a random lady running to her husbands job to jump him in his office while waving a thermometer.... not sure the movie.

Tell me your stories!! (I dunno of I should ask something or not, I just wanted to share. I'm buzzed Bumping...)

Re: TV shows portrayal of TTC

• Options

Monica & Chandler from friends. She used OPKs but used them way wrong.

I vaguely remember that. I think I'll watch Friends next after I finish Scrubs. :) I enjoyed that show.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    On the Nanny, Fran pulled Maxwell out of his square on Hollywood Squares. because they had to have sex that moment, if I remember right.

@Everycol0r I remember being frustrated that Monica was doing it wrong. lol.
  • Options
    Can I just point to my real life?
    4 members of my family have now had unplanned "happened the first time we didn't use protection" pregnancies.
    I do not say this in a judgey way!!! I was just later shocked to learn the actual odds of getting pregnant your first time sans protection.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    I vaguely remember seeing shows with fertility watches that just magically said they were ovulating and the women had to run right away to find their man to HIO.  I always thought it was that simple.
  • Options

Can I just point to my real life?

4 members of my family have now had unplanned "happened the first time we didn't use protection" pregnancies.
    I do not say this in a judgey way!!! I was just later shocked to learn the actual odds of getting pregnant your first time sans protection.
    *previous pregnancy mentioned*

That happened with me getting pregnant with DD. By then I knew that there were better times then others to have sex and that you only have so much a chance to get pregnant each month, bit wasn't exactly sure all the specifics. I couldnt believe that it actually happened. I know so much more now, but when actually trying this time around I was sure I'd be KU before Christmas last year.

• Options
    saladflambesaladflambe member
    edited August 2015
    ninnerpoos said: **Tangent**

@saladflambe
    I'm going to be honest, you're "I do not say this is a judey way" - today I'm at a point where I want to say to you and to all the others who say "Im happy for them."  It's ok by me for you to take this moment and judge. And to not be happy for them. Because what the crap?!
    I admit I feel slightly selfish when I get blue after hearing another announcement, but for goodness sakes. I think it's understandable we all want to have us a moment to celebrate. Everyone around me announcing they have what I want does not actually make me feel happy all the time.
    So right now, I'm going to celebrate honesty. And I don't feel like you should have to justify your feelings. You are human and this is a very delicate time.
    **Edit bc quote fail**
    Thank you for that, although as we are still very early in the TTC process, I really
    really have no place to judge. I mostly meant that I do not say it in an "I judge you for doing things in a different order than I did" way if that makes sense... unfortunately, not everyone in my family feels that way. 
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    @saladflambe my little brother got is baby mama pregnant twice, first time with twins, second just one, all on the days he said they were using protection. And the first pregnancy she got pregnant with the break sex they were having. Who in the world has break up sex. They can barely take care of their babies and have no jobs. I am harshly judging them! I also have two other siblings that for pregnant by "mistake". I don't believe in mistakes while having sex. If you don't use birth control you know what you are getting yourself into.
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Options
    Seriously I got a positive OPK yesterday afternoon and this morning. At neither time did I run to my DH and jump his bones.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I remember on Friends Chandler decided to pee on all the sticks "just to be sure".

Also, on the show The King of Queens they have to get very creative to have sex while in-laws are visiting during FW. We've all been there, right? :))
  • Options
    How did Monica use th wrong??
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options

How did Monica use th wrong??

She realizes she had her dates mixed up, so she uses an OPK to see if she's "still ovulating". She gets a positive, so they have to figure out a way to have sex while babysitting.
  • Options
    On How I met your mother, they go for testing after like 3 months of trying also.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    @pbsnowflake453 oh my gosh. My FIL was staying with us for a full month last cycle and my first IUI. It was the worst

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• Options
    crzyforbabiescrzyforbabies member
    edited August 2015
    I know this isn't ttc but any baby birthing or labor on any show is like two good screams and mamas hair is perfect.

Or the women's water breaks, and the man speeds her to the hospital. Then, when she gets there, she screams like a banshee, and is super rude.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    *trigger warning, very sad*

And now for something completely different. I was surfing Pintrest and this came up and now I'm crying..... stupid Disney.

• Options
    Lulucooks said:
    *trigger warning, very sad* And now for something completely different. I was surfing Pintrest and this came up and now I'm crying..... stupid Disney.
    It's ok, she gets her Dumbo :-)
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    edited August 2015

Lulucooks said:

And now for something completely different. I was surfing Pintrest and this came up and now I'm crying..... stupid Disney.

---- qbf ----

She does ^_^ elephants just look extra sad when sad. Very expressive eyes even in cartoon form. And of course the pictures only showed that part, pretty sure it was captioned "saddest Disney moment". I was looking for tips to get to Disney, not expecting that! Lol!

• Options

Lulucooks said:

The only thing we bought our baby was a Dumbo stuffed animal because we were team green until we found out we were going to lose him this made me think of my Noah and smile
    Noah Gabriel due:4/21/15 born sleeping 12/22/14

Hoping for a Rainbow in 2016
  • Options
    Whenever I see a storyline about discovering a positive pregnancy test in the trash. Off the top of my head I remember Parks & Recreation doing this and Friends. For once I'd love it if after all the uproar and sluething someone informs the characters that it was negative but after a long period of time the results could show positive.
  • Options
    m6agua said:
    In The Switch at Jen Anistons "insemination party" and he switched the sperm sample. The sample is just in a cup at her house in her bathroom.
    Yes - very similar, on Will & Grace, they are bringing their own sample to the doctor in a cup, and almost switch it with Jack's soup for lunch.

Also on Forget Paris - they let him take care of himself and bring his sample to the doctor in a cup.  I also think they were only trying very briefly before being tested/giving up.

BabyFruit Ticker

Married Sept '13
    TTC Dec '13
    BFP 10/8/2014 MMC 11/20/2014 D&C 11/26/14
    BFP 9/20/2015 MMC 10/7/2015 D&C 10/15/15
    BFP 3/6/2016

• Options
    edited August 2015
    m6agua said:

In The Switch at Jen Anistons "insemination party" and he switched the sperm sample. The sample is just in a cup at her house in her bathroom.

I have never seen this movie, but she had an insemination party?!?! That's a new one. I thought gender reveals were pushing it...
  • Options

m6agua said:

I have never seen this movie, but she had an insemination party?!?! That's a new one. I thought gender reveals were pushing it...
    It's on Netflix right now if you have it.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    In the movie This Is Where I Leave You one of the couples is TTC, and she says that she's done all the tests, nothings wrong, but he won't get his sperm tested. I hope no doctor would ever actually put a woman through all of that without testing the husband's sperm.

Me: 24
    DH: 24
    Married: August 2013
    TTC:April 2015

• Options
    Kind of related. I'm watching Gilmore Girls now and am up to the episode where Sookie is pregnant because she went off the pill and didn't tell Jackson, and Jackson didn't tell Sookie that he never had a vasectomy so neither knew they were having completely unprotected sex. Do people really not talk about birth control with their spouse IRL?
  • Options
    Kind of related. I'm watching Gilmore Girls now and am up to the episode where Sookie is pregnant because she went off the pill and didn't tell Jackson, and Jackson didn't tell Sookie that he never had a vasectomy so neither knew they were having completely unprotected sex. Do people really not talk about birth control with their spouse IRL?
    I'm a lurker but had to respond to this - Sooki is an idiot and she and Jackson have the WORST relationship and it really annoys me! They don't talk about ANYTHING. I feel like they didn't even talk about whether or not they were dating at first, which wouldn't be annoying if it didn't become a constant pattern. Sookie just talks to Loreili about everything and I'm like "Stop talking to her, she's worse at relationships than you, talk to JACKSON." 

And also I feel like because they are one of the only functioning long-term couples on the show, they are the model for what a relationship should be and I'm always like "This is NOT how a relationship should be!"
  • Options
    dande2129 said:

I've started watching Parenthood on Netflix and got addicted hard and fast.

A few days ago, I was at the point where Julia and Joel have been TTC a 2nd for like, a minute. She's worried that something is wrong because they got pregnant with their first right away. Joel goes in to have sperm analysis done and somehow it ends up being that Julia has intrauterine scarring and can't get pregnant.

Like, what? There was absolutely no dialogue about how advanced the scarring was, if it could be "fixed" with surgery of any kind, medications or other interventions that aren't surgery that could be tried --- it was just automatically, "I CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER BABY."

Also, it was via phone call. Like, the doc just called her up and was like, "Hey, you have this scarring and you can't get pregnant again kbye" and that was it.
    I had the exact same thought in watching Parenthood! There was no backstory, they didn't even talk about any other option but instead just went straight to "I can't have baby".

And I don't think they ever really said why Robin was infertile.. Just that she was on how I met your mother. It seemed like the doctor just came to that conclusion after one appointment!
  • Options
    Funny you posted this... just last night my DH was watching Ballers and one of the wives on the show randomly whips out a pregnancy test (BFP) and was like "I didn't get my period for a few weeks so I thought I would take a test." It's just funny because I would never let me period be that late without taking a test.

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.