New York Babies

Brooklyn Moms: OB-GYN/Hospital recommendations?

pat87pat87 member
edited March 2015 in New York Babies
Hello All!

I'm not pregnant yet, but my husband and I are planning to start TTC in a few months.  My current doctor is only working as a gynecologist, so I need to find an ob-gyn at some point.  I would like it to be before my next annual checkup so that I can get to know the doctor before getting pregnant (and also get a preconception checkup).  

I live in Brooklyn (Downtown Brooklyn) and work in Midtown West. I haven't heard good things about hospitals in Brooklyn, so I would like to find a doctor that delivers in a good hospital in Manhattan. Can someone recommend me a good (preferably female) doctor in Manhattan?   Also, which hospitals should I look into? I've heard wonderful things about Mt. Sinai Roosevelt, but I'm scared of it being so far.  

What about NY Presbyterian (Lower Manhattan location), Beth Israel or NYU Langone?  NYU looks like a great option, but is it too far (for a woman in labor)?

Thank you in advance!!!! 
Me: 29   DH: 33
TTC #1: Since Sept 2015
MC: Oct 2015
BFP: 03/05/16
EDD: 11/16/16
Baby Girl born on 11/04/16

Trying to Conceive Ticker
Anniversary
Visit The Nest

Re: Brooklyn Moms: OB-GYN/Hospital recommendations?

• I just had my first baby 1 month ago and really liked NYU and the group of doctors at NYU Langone. Dr Schweizer's group. He is the head of dept. and there are 4-5 female doctors. I live in brooklyn and work in midtown and was convenient for me. It's a short drive from bk to NYU so better than all the way uptown. I have heard that MT Sinai is amazing too. But NYU mother baby ward was wonderful. I had a very positive experience and amazing care. Great nurses.

Good luck!
  • pat87pat87 member
    Thank you @rollingracer!!! and congrats on your baby!!!! 

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Loading the player...
  • @pat87 Im in your same shoes! Except I'm already pregnant and really behind on this task of choosing hospitals. It's awesome you're doing all the research with plenty of time. I've also read great things from Mount Sinai but worry it's too far (also live in brooklyn). My friend delivered at Lenox Hill and said it was great. Idk this is overwhelming I can't decide. I hope more moms can share experiences on here, that always helps.
  • pat87pat87 member
    @nanipepi Congrats on your pregnancy! From what I've been reading and asking people around, I am thinking about limiting my options to just NYU Langone or NY Presbyterian in Lower Manhattan.  I live in Fort Greene/Downtown Brooklyn and apparently NYU is about 20 mins from my home and NYP is 12 mins... NYU is one of the best hospitals in the area and I've heard good things about people delivering at NYP, so I'm not sure.  I guess that, since I have time, I can go to my gynecologist and ask her for a recommendation. However, I found two doctors that you might want to check out: Dr. Margaret Durante (NYU) and Dr. Zhanna Fridel (NYP/Weill Cornell). I've heard that Dr. Beatrice Im at Weill Cornell (Tribeca) is great, but she doesn't take my insurance.  Good luck!!! And let me know what happens!! 

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Hey ladies! This is really helpful, I'm due in August and my OBGYN has delivery room way too far.
    I will definitely check out the doctors you researched on!
  • pat87pat87 member
    Good luck! @ekorsun

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• I'm going to go to Methodist as I live in Clinton Hill and it won't take too long to get there. I've heard/read really great things about their maternity department and my Ob-Gyn is amazing--Dr. Paone. He's really kind and informative. 
  • carashopscarashops member
    edited July 2015
    Anyone have experience with NY OBGYN at cadman plaza in Brooklyn heights (drs Adler, biroschak, Kurtz, kassenoff) I'm looking for an ob with an office in downtown Brooklyn, bococa, or Brooklyn heights who delivers at an NYC hospital.
  • pat87pat87 member
    @carashops, no experience with them. I ended up going to Dr. Vanessa Peña, who is part of the Weill Cornell/NYP group.  She is super nice, sweet, and knowledgeable.  Her office is in Tribeca and she delivers in New York Presbyterian (Lower Manhattan).  That hospital is just 15 mins away from my apt in Fort Greene, not sure if it is convenient for you.  

Best of luck! 

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Thanks! I booked my first appointment with Dr Szilvia Nagy. She's at Weill Cornell/lower Manhattan on William street and delivers at NYP/lower Manhattan. How was your hospital/delivery experience? I'm finding mixed reviews about the hospital.
  • pat87pat87 member
    @carashops, I am not pregnant yet.  I have also seen mixed reviews.. I was considering NYU Langone but it is kind of far... And I did some research and the Weill Cornell team seems great.  I think we should be fine! :) I hope!!! Good luck with everything!

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• I'm using Dr Adler and LOVE him! Great practice and very on top of things.