July 2015 Moms
Options

The mini pill

Hi everyone! I just got back from my postpartum appointment and my doctor prescribed the mini pill. I'm exclusively pumping, I've done some research but wanted some personal stories. Anyone who is on it or has been in the past please share your experience! Did you have spotting? Problems with milk supply? Weight gain?

Re: The mini pill

• Options
    Following! I was just prescribed this today too!!
  • Options
    No spotting, no change in my supply, no weight gain!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is what I'm supposed to be getting… I'm concerned though because it's only 91% effective and must be taken at the same time every day with only an hour window of difference… I'm going to ask about the Depto shot which is 99.7% effective and I hear is safe for breast-feeding as well
  • Options
    ecloho said:

That is what I'm supposed to be getting… I'm concerned though because it's only 91% effective and must be taken at the same time every day with only an hour window of difference… I'm going to ask about the Depto shot which is 99.7% effective and I hear is safe for breast-feeding as well

My doctor told me that between breastfeeding and the mini pill that it's 99% effective. He also said I would have to take it within a 3 hour window. It makes me worry though, I really don't want to get pregnant for a while! I'll probably use condoms as well, which is lame but I don't want to risk it.
  • Options
    lovehorse77lovehorse77 member
    edited August 2015
    When I spoke with my doc she told me that if in went with that form of birth control to take it at the exact same time every day, no mistakes and that was the only way to make it as effective as it should be. She really stressed this. Said she's seen many women get pregnant while taking it because of being inconsistant about the time of day they were taking it.
  • Options
    Ladies & @bwarren1210 I talked to my doctor earlier today and told her I would rather do the depo shot. She said it is safe during breast-feeding and is a lot more effective than the mini pill. I am almost 36 and my husband is almost 38, so we are "one and done" and definitely do not want to get pregnant again. This winter he will be having a vasectomy
  • Options
    ecloho said:

Ladies & @bwarren1210 I talked to my doctor earlier today and told her I would rather do the depo shot. She said it is safe during breast-feeding and is a lot more effective than the mini pill. I am almost 36 and my husband is almost 38, so we are "one and done" and definitely do not want to get pregnant again. This winter he will be having a vasectomy

I was on the shot about 10 years ago and I really don't recommend it. My mood was very up and down on it and I had bleeding for about a month before I was due for a new shot. Going off the shot and onto the pill made a huge difference. I'd never go back on the shot, but I know everyone has different side effects. I just wanted to share my experience
  • Options
    eclohoecloho member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks @gmk1784 I was actually on the shot myself for three years as a teenager. I did notice the mood swings also but I actually didn't have a period for three years straight! Then I switched over to the pill… Since hubby is planning to have a vasectomy I'm willing to give it a try for a few months. We really just don't want to end up pregnant again
  • Options
    Another option is the IUD. In on mini pill now but will switch to the mirena IUD once I'm 12 weeks after csection as I am worried about getting pregnant if I don't take it exactly on time.
  • Options
    I was on the pill for 10 years before trying to get pregnant. I took it very religiously at the same time every day and after my doc told me how ineffective the mini pill could be even I decided it wasn't worth the risk of taking it an hour too late. There's just too much other stuff going on with a newborn in the house now. I set an alarm to pull out something for dinner and still don't manage that some days. I'm opting for an IUD. Nothing to forget there!
  • Options
    I wasn't breast feeding, I took it after my IUD was misplaced and removed. I can't use the regular pill due to a clotting issue so mini pill was one of my only options. I bled constantly with the mini pill, at first my "period" came every 3 weeks, then two, then I would bleed 5 days, stop for 2-3 then bleed for another 5! I became anemic and stopped taking it, switched to natural family planning.

I seem to have really bad luck with different birth control options though, a lot of people have no issues.
  • Options

I wasn't breast feeding, I took it after my IUD was misplaced and removed. I can't use the regular pill due to a clotting issue so mini pill was one of my only options. I bled constantly with the mini pill, at first my "period" came every 3 weeks, then two, then I would bleed 5 days, stop for 2-3 then bleed for another 5! I became anemic and stopped taking it, switched to natural family planning.

I seem to have really bad luck with different birth control options though, a lot of people have no issues.

My doctor told me that it might bring back my period, which would suck! I'm thinking about just not taking it and sticking to condoms and breastfeeding as my birth control. After my first daughter we just used condoms for 2 years and the one time we didn't use one I got pregnant with this baby. Maybe when I'm done breastfeeding and I have my period back anyway I'll get on the pill.

• Options
    I was on it after my first two pregnancies. I ended up stopping it both times because of issues with spotting. My spotting was so heavy it was like a period and I never knew when it would start. I ruined sheets and clothes because my period would start out of nowhere. Both times the spotting didn't start until I had started introducing solids regularly so I wasn't breastfeeding as much.
  • Options
    I was just prescribed the mini pill today.  My doctor told me to use a back up method of birth control for an entire month.  Is this was others were told as well?  I'm also concerned about the elevated risk, although my doctor told me the same thing about breastfeeding in combination with the pill.
  • Options
    ^^ I was told to use a back-up method for 10 days.
  • Options
    amyjay23 said:

I was just prescribed the mini pill today.  My doctor told me to use a back up method of birth control for an entire month.  Is this was others were told as well?  I'm also concerned about the elevated risk, although my doctor told me the same thing about breastfeeding in combination with the pill.

When starting any birth control pill you should use a backup birth control for Bout a month. Also use one if you're put on antibiotics for any reason.