November 2015 Moms
Options

Any brave mom's using cloth diapers?

So I work in a hospital and all my nursing friends are split 50/50 on using cloth diapers or not. I wasn't planning to but maybe someone who's used them before could tell me a bit about it?

How easy are they to clean? How do you sanitize them?

Anything you could share with me would be great :)

Re: Any brave mom's using cloth diapers?

• Options
    There are quite a few of us doing cloth diapers! If you use the search function, you'll find a lot of threads on cloth diapers with great information!
    The diapers are easy to clean, I'd recommend getting liners to make the poop easier to clean up.
  • Options
    We use cloth. If you use the search function there are several threads with great advice.
    There is also a cloth diapering board that is filled with tons of people with great knowledge.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're doing a diaper service for at least the first 6 months because we don't have our own washer right now and my mom offered to help us with it. It's pricier than just doing cloth and washing it yourself, but it's what will work in our situation. Once we have a place with our own washer in the spring, I'll decide if we want to keep it up on our own. I have several friends who cloth diaper and love it. I like that it's more eco friendly, and is good for babies with sensitive skin.

Do you know anyone who cloth diapers? It would be worth it to have someone show you what they do and recommend some brands for supplies. That really helped me make my decision about using cloth.
  • Options
    We took a cloth diaper class from a local store that sells them. Maybe you can find something like that in your area? We thought it was a great way to get started!
  • Options
    I find that cloth diapering is way more common then people realize! We started using cloth when my daughter was 6 weeks old and haven't looked back! It's extremely easy.

I like pointing people towards the fluffloveuniversity website. It's incredibly detailed. There's also the fluff love and CD science Facebook page that is very active and informative.

As for brands, I stick to North American made. Specifically AppleCheeks and some work at home mom brands. I also only use inserts made from natural fibers. I was never a fan of the microfiber inserts. So hemp and bamboo/cotton blends for inserts.

Also Remember that you get what you pay for. The China Cheepies are attractive because of their price but may not last multiple babies. We've invested in diapers that should last 3-4 babies and I could probably sell when we we are done with them.
    YCSWU
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Great start for me and I'll definitely search other threads! I forgot to do that first but glad I got to hear from you guys too!
  • Options
    We use them with DS and plan to use them this time. I did not find any issues with them, I was anxious at first using overnight but when I just started I had no issues. When brestfeedibg you just can wash the whole thing, after starting other food you need to spray poop off(not as bad as it sounds) then I just do a rinse, wash, and rinse cycle.( that's what works for me) I do some kind of wash every day switch between clothes and diapers. I really just feel better about using clothes, less trash and I feel like less clutter around the house for some reason
  • Options
    We are doing cloth diapering this time around. We are expecting twins and I can't imagine how expensive it would be if we went for disposables. I have been following different groups on facebook and a website that has been really helpful!

Laundry Love & Science - Group on faceboook that talks about deep cleaning on laundry and other things

Fluff Love & CD Science - Group on facebook that is more specific of cloth diaper cleaning
  • Options
    We cloth diaper DD#1 (who turns 1 in about 2 weeks) and we love it. It's a lot easier than it sounds. You just have to find out which brands/system and wash method works for you. For us, to prefolds & covers (all in ones when we are on the go), a sprayer for messy poop, a good diaper pail (I highly recommend the Ubbi) and a prewash/heavy duty wash with powdered Tide and two rinses (I have a front loader fwiw). I couldn't imagine doing disposables!
    Off BC since January 2012/TTC #1 since April 2012
    October 2013 IUI #1 - 5mg femara + Ovidrel = BFN
    November 2013 IUI #2 - 5mg femara + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Crinone = 12/16/13 FIRST EVER BFP!!!  DD Blaire Noelle 8/26/14
    Surprise!  2 under 2 is happening!  Due 12/5/15 (updated)

• Options
    Look up youtube videos! It's the quickest way to learn the different types, get advice on cleaning, etc. We are also trying cloth diapers, but grabbed some disposables just in case. Best of luck!
  • Options
    gkfkgkfk member
    I'm hoping to start cloth when LO is a month old. Dont want the stress of figuring that out, on top of everything else,for the first month. I found the baby gear lab website helpful to figure out what kind and brand of diapers (cloth and disposable) that i wanted. The disposables that i want are too expensive for us (Bambo Naturals) so I'm hoping that the cloth will work out. Not sure if we'll use a diaper service for cleaning or not.
  • Options
    I wouldn't call it brave. It's actually pretty easy.
    I was shocked at how much my husband hated disposables. He couldn't stand the smell when they got wet. We even used cloth while traveling without issues.
    We will cloth again.

We prefer Flip covers with prefolds.
    Everyone has a preference.
    Find a local class you can take to see the difference and then buy some and try them out.

I just sold all my girl print diapers for about half of what I paid for them. They were used for 2.5 years. They hold their value so well. It's so wroth it.
  • Options
    Been CD since day one (over 2yr) and haven't looked back. It's worked great for us! Go watch Obbs and LaLa on YouTube. She is a wealth of knowledge!
  • Options
    For anyone who started on disposable and switched to cloth, how easy was that transition to make? I'm thinking of going the cloth route this time, but I don't know whether to do it from day one or whther to have him in disposables until he outgrows NB sizes and we get into the swing of having a tiny human dependent on us again.
  • Options

For anyone who started on disposable and switched to cloth, how easy was that transition to make? I'm thinking of going the cloth route this time, but I don't know whether to do it from day one or whther to have him in disposables until he outgrows NB sizes and we get into the swing of having a tiny human dependent on us again.

We actually didn't start with our daughter until she was 7 months old. She was allergic to huggies and even pampers was causing rashes so we looked into cloth diapers. I did buy one newborn size cloth diaper this time but it's more for newborn pictures. Most one size diapers start fitting around 8lbs but if Baby is skinny they may still leak. We are going to do newborn disposables then switch Baby into cloth around 1 to 2 months old. My daughter is still in diapers so with a 2 year old and newborn baby and one in cloth I'm going to have a lot of laundry. We were told by the cloth diaper store to wash the diapers separately for the first 2 months with a newborn so that means two separate loads of cloth diapers so for my own sake I'm going to hold off in the beginning. I also had an emergancy c-section with my daughter, I'm attempting VBac but if I end up with a c-section doing that much laundry is just not going to happen right away!

But I found it to be a very easy switch with our daughter!
  • Options
    I cloth diaper my 18 month old, although she gets bad rashes and I have to switch to disposables at night so I cAn use desitin when they get bad. We started around nine months. With this baby, I'll be using disposable until she grows out of newborns, then I'll be switching over. I just started workin on potty training my daughter so I'm hoping I won't have to add too much to my stash. It is t hard cloth diapering, for breastfeeding babies you don't even need to rinse poo poo, for my older daughter I use a bidet to spray poo poos in the toilet before putting them in a dry bag.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    agerstner said:

Been CD since day one (over 2yr) and haven't looked back. It's worked great for us! Go watch Obbs and LaLa on YouTube. She is a wealth of knowledge!

I just checked out a few Obbs and Lala videos, and they were so useful! Thanks for the recommendation!