January 2016 Moms
Options

Neural Tube/Abdominal Defect Test - Elevated

So I got a call from my doctor about the 2nd tri screening results, and I have elevated levels that indicate either a neural tube defect or abdominal defect. I know this is a screening test and not a diagnostic, but I still am worrying (of course). Fortunately I will not have to wait long for the ultrasound, hopefully it is a false positive, but the 5% false positive rate is kinda worrying. My first was born with a tiny dimple/hole on his spine that had to have an ultrasound to make sure it didn't go through. I am hoping this isn't something that is fatal at least. Please keep the little bean in your thoughts prayers. 

It seems I can't get away with having an uncomplicated pregnancy! :((

Re: Neural Tube/Abdominal Defect Test - Elevated

• Options
    Thinking of and praying for you and your sweet baby. Please KUP if you can!
  • Options
    I just went through this.... and I know it's really not possible but try to stay calm. There are SEVERAL causes of elevated afp, some that have absolutely nothing to do with baby. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you wait for your ultrasound. Keep us up to date!
    Married the love of my life: 11/12/2009
    1st BFP ever : 11/19/2014
    1/9/2015 our miracle baby was welcomed in heaven.
    BFP #2 : 4/21/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hope all goes well! I know how nerve wracking hearing that info is. I was in your boat last month. One of my twins showed a thick neural tube. Unfortunately, we lost our little one before i could do an amnio to determine what was going on. I don't want to share this to scare you, my situation was rare and worst case scenario. I've read plenty of false positives, so stay hopeful and positive:) I'll pray for your little one.
  • Options
    laxdixdar said:
    I just went through this.... and I know it's really not possible but try to stay calm. There are SEVERAL causes of elevated afp, some that have absolutely nothing to do with baby. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you wait for your ultrasound. Keep us up to date!
    That makes me feel a little better. I want statistics on my side heh. Is there anyone else out there that has been in the same situation? I would love to hear the good false positive stories haha.

• Options
    I think what you are saying ur first child has is a closed sacral dimple which is best case scenario of a neural tube defect. Hopefully this is also what baby has or it's a false positive. Prayers headed your way.
  • Options
    @ainverso Yes, that is what my first child had. Hopefully it is just the same defect. I didn't do the testing with either of my children until this one, so this is a new experience.