July 2015 Moms

Re: "Milk brothers"

• Options
    It's not a new thing just something that has died out with the invention of formula, pumps etc. Look up wet nurse.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    firecraker45firecraker45 member
    edited August 2015
    I pumped twice a day with my 1st child and got 50 oz. Each time. I had sooo much milk. My friends baby was born at the same time as my son. (They were adopting) and he was born at 24 weeks. Formula was really rough on his tiny body. So I gave them mine. If the other parent is cool with it why not. I fed a baby in another state that needed it. I was still dumping a pitcher a day of it down the sink. So it was going to go to waste if someone didn't use it. I don't see the harm.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @firecraker45 that's amazing!! I wish I had that much milk!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @firecraker45 how did you get that much milk??
  • Options
    I feel like nursing another woman's baby is much more normal than organ donations or blood transfusions!!!
  • Options
    In Norway there is more "milk banks" than in US and Canada together. Over here almost all premature babies are getting breastmilk. If mother isn't able to feed her own baby there is possibility to get it from milk bank. Obviously nobody is pushing that parents can choose. In 90% cases parents want their premature or sick baby to be fed with breastmilk.
  • Options
    I would do it to help someone else out. I applaud her
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm...I'm ok with helping out a friend but think I'd rather pump and have the person bottle - feed instead that way the mom can still bond with her baby. It just seems odd breastfeeding someone else's child :/
  • Options
    Not only is it odd to BF someone else's child, but super odd that friend and child moved in with BF mom and family so she could BF. Umm, just pump and let mom bottle feed!