Babies on the Brain

baby names

If my partner wants to name the baby after him and I don't want to how do I tell him with out hurting feelings? He wants to pick the boys names but I don't agree on any of them so we argue about it. I can't not like my baby name though!

Re: baby names

• Are you pregnant with a boy?  If not, I wouldn't worry about it (or if you're pregnant and not sure of the sex, then it's worth waiting until you know).  It may ultimately not be an issue.

If you are pregnant with a boy, then you could gently let him know that you think it would be ideal for the baby to have his own identity and his own name.  You could also suggest using your partner's name as the middle name to honor him but also let the baby have his own, original first name.  
  • If my partner wants to name the baby after him and I don't want to how do I tell him with out hurting feelings? He wants to pick the boys names but I don't agree on any of them so we argue about it. I can't not like my baby name though!
    My so is a junior and he has had a ton of problems with things. For example he want to open a bank account and apparently his dear old dad had opened one in his name at that bank years ago as him and racked up a whole bunch of debt. Plus because the name is easily seen as the same the dad has cashed checks and done other things he should have.

I would just explain how annoyingly confusing it can get.

Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • Loading the player...
  • My dad is the third.  He named his son the fourth and his son the fifth.  38 years later, my dad wishes he had stopped the naming with him.  At this point in his life, he thinks it's silly for so many people to have the same name.
  • My husband and I have always talked names. Our son's first and middle name are family names - absolutely adore the name and it fits our boy completely. With the talk of baby #2 my husband threw out the Jr. for a suggestion. I quickly veto'd it (very bluntly) because I'm not a fan and why name our 2nd the Jr. and not our first?
    You know your SO best and if he needs a gentle let down, go for it. Veto'ing works too, since it is y'all's child and there should be equal input.
  • H's family has a family naming tradition, while mine doesn't. We're already getting a lot of pressure to use H's grandpa's name, which would be fine, but I'm terrified of causing accidental drama with one of the cousins. Boy or not, I think you need to both agree on the name for either gender, and PPs excuses will work great for letting him down easy.
  • My Husband's family had a tradition of naming the boys a name that got passed down, and it rhymed with the sur name. I almost died and told him I really hated it. He got very upset and then we pinky swore that I wouldn't ever name our child something he hated and he wouldn't name our child something I hated. We have to both love the names.Turns out it didn't matter because his brother had a son first and named him that name so we are no longer expected or allowed to name our child that.
  • No naming traditions, really. DH and his sister have their parents' middle names but that's not something we'll carry forward or is a particular tradition.

We will likely avoid family names because the babies will have 3 sets of grandparents (stepparents on my side) and it's just too much.

We kind of throw out names here and there when we hear/see them so we've always kind of talked names, I suppose. It's fun :)
  • I actually gave the name choice to my husband letting him decide what we name our son and he actually chose to name our son his name But his first name is actually our son's middle name and his middle name is our Sons first name so instead of our son being a junior He is Aaron Hector