January 2016 Moms
Options

Heartburn

There's been a lot of mention of this, but I haven't been able to find a comprehensive thread.

Do people want to share their heartburn TRIGGERS and any REMEDIES that have worked for them?

TRIGGERS: I haven't really figured it out. There is definitely some sort of seasoning in some sauces, but I haven't figured out what.

REMEDIES: I've been trying Tums and almond milk with fairly limited success.

Re: Heartburn

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everything is a trigger.

Pepcid Complete is a God. Literally works in seconds.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Life gives me heartburn right now. I just drink milk and deal with it.
  • Options
    Maalox is my go to for the past two pregnancies. I get the mint flavor. It instantly soothes the burn.
  • Options
    6240662406 member
    edited August 2015
    I had heartburn with my DD and there wasn't a specific thing that triggered it. I would take Tums but I don't think they did much to help. so far this pregnancy I haven't had it expect when eating buffalo wings (but totally worth it).
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options
    I had it at the end of myast pregnancy and there was no trigger or relief it was awful!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Spicy food and chocolate. Which makes me sad, because I'm craving chocolate milk. To deal with it I take Zantac twice a day and Tums for breakthrough burn. So sucky.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    amargaret24amargaret24 member
    edited August 2015
    What's odd is that I assumed spicy food and tomato-y foods triggered my heartburn as, duh that would make sense. Turns out, it's bread and carby foods. Pizza, bagels, flour tortillas, bread in general, even gluten-free. Which is the exact food my body craved desperatly when I was throwing up every day. Now I'm basically back to Paleo except for I have rice and dairy.....no heartburn in 3 days. BUT if necessary, I have tums always and ice cream always get's the job done ;)
  • Options
    My sister drinks Aloe Juice as a natural remedy and she swears by it. She took too many tums last time she was pregnant and ended up with a kidney stone so watch your intake of those if you are prone to kidney stones.
  • Options
    Water. Freaking water causes me the worst heartburn! Water, pop tarts, garlic, Juice, spaghetti, and pretty much everything else is a trigger. I eat mint tums like candy. With DD I had it so bad I took dexilant, but I'm trying hard not to do that this time since we don't have insurance. Almost halfway there.
  • Options
    Eating late night
  • Options
    Saucy stuff does me in. Milk helps.
  • Options
    Literally anything I eat (even including gum) has been giving me heartburn.  I was taking Prilosec before I got pregnant and stopped per my doctor, so I had been trying tums.  My doc recently told me to start taking Zantac.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    Chocolate, dairy, and tomato type sauces are my triggers. I take Zantac, and it's gone within 30 min!!!
  • Options
    I haven't figured out all the triggers but an unexpected one: greek yogurt. I take tums and it's working so far, but the heartburn is mild.

@nlwz123 I haven't been able to have gum in years because it kills my stomach, they usually have sorbitol (an artificial sweetener) that can be very stomach un-friendly, maybe check for that.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up @anitamtl.  It's specifically minty gum that gives me heartburn (which is what I'd want to be chewing while I'm at work after lunch).  

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Options
    @nlwz123 - I've switched to Tom's silly strawberry toothpaste because the mint flavor in my regular paste gives me heartburn.
  • Options
    My life gives me heartburn :((
    The smoothie Tums are the best for me so far .. I go through a bottle a week! :-SS
  • Options
    Chocolate, tomato sauce.
    I do tums and chewing sugar free gum when it hits.  Seems to help.
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 5/5/15
    First baby due date: 1/14/16

• Options
    anitamtl said:
    I haven't figured out all the triggers but an unexpected one: greek yogurt. I take tums and it's working so far, but the heartburn is mild.

@nlwz123 I haven't been able to have gum in years because it kills my stomach, they usually have sorbitol (an artificial sweetener) that can be very stomach un-friendly, maybe check for that.

Yeah sorbitol, malitol, and xylitol are all super unhealthy sweetners. In big quantities they can cause diarrhea an the likes. Gross. Note, even though Whole Foods and places will claim xylitol is "natural" it still has the same laxitive effect. If I were chewing gum right now I'd find some sweetened with Cane sugar, stevia, or some other naturally derived sugar.
  • Options
    Sweets seem to be a trigger for me. I ate a bunch of jalapeno poppers yesterday, no problem. I've been having decent success with Tums.
  • Options
    I blink and I get heartburn. Everything from water to melon to pizza. It sucks:(. I was told to take Zantac twice a day and tums but I'm trying not to take the Zantac so I'm dealing with the heartburn by taking tums. It works at the beginning but doesn't last long unfortunately:(
  • Options
    For a few weeks I had it where I either had a headache or heartburn. Never neither. It was awesome...

Sour candy (which is one of my big cravings!!!) I've found is one of my triggers. Also if I don't eat within a certain amt of time it kicks in. Tums weren't doing it for me or some other OTC meds. Doc had some raised concerns so I'm actually on a prescription for it for a bit. Finding my triggers and taking my meds has helped a TON! But, my poor sweet tooth!!!! :P
  • Options
    @nlwz123 - The MFM today said that Tums isn't awesome. While it temporarily may reduce the discomfort, apparently calcium stimulates more acid production. Crazy!

He said to take prilosec, though, which I thought was weird....
  • Options
    nanamp said:
    @nlwz123 - The MFM today said that Tums isn't awesome. While it temporarily may reduce the discomfort, apparently calcium stimulates more acid production. Crazy! He said to take prilosec, though, which I thought was weird....
    Thanks!  My doc had me start Zantac.  They mentioned Prilosec and I was like, well...shouldn't I try something else first?

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Options
    I'm convinced I have a red headed baby growing inside of me. I'm pretty sure the red hair is causing my heartburn!
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • Options
    Peanut butter has suddenly become a trigger for me, which is absolutely unfair.

Just drinking milk and sitting up. Glad one of the PPS mentioned drinking too much water too, I have a feeling that's what did me in yesterday
  • Options
    Sounds strange but celery is by far the best treatment for heartburn. I have tried so many different things, until someone mentioned it to me and I will never turn back! Cold crunchy celery :)