March 2015 Moms
Options

Working mommys- daycare advice please!

My LO is 5 months old. Since he was born, he has been home full time with either my husband or I. My husband finished college right before he was born so he chose not to start his job until I got out of school for the summer (I'm a teacher). Then LO was with me all summer while I was off. School starts again in a couple of weeks, so he will be beginning daycare for the first time. Any advice on how to make this transition as smooth as possible for both of us? Thank you!!
BabyFetus Ticker
Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

Re: Working mommys- daycare advice please!

• Options
    DS was born March 5th, and since I work at a school, it worked out perfectly that my 8 weeks of maternity leave ran out just as summer started so I got to be home with him until he was just turning 4 months. We scheduled his daycare to start the week before I was due back at school. I was then able to spend extra time getting him situated there in the morning, go in at lunch to feed him, and arrive a little early to spend some time sitting with his class and his teacher at the end of the day.I'm  paranoid about having other people outside of family watch him so I wanted the daycare staff to know me, and know that I was able to swing by at anytime. DS was EBF right up until 3 weeks prior to his start of day care, then we started giving him one bottle a day to get him used to taking it. I'd have DH give it to him or if we were with other people and they wanted to feed him,I would let them so he can get used to taking a bottle from new people. One thing I didnt do that I wish I wouldve was starting to pump 1-2 extra oz after his day feedings a couple of weeks before to start building a stash. I am able to pump at work but i currently am only able to pump enough for the following day with no edge room.
    Hope this helps! It was really hard the first couple of weeks for me, DS had no problems and would only sometimes cry a little bit as I left which really makes it harder but then his teacher would send me a video of him laughing and playing like 15 minutes later lol. Honestly, I think it was harder for me then it was for him.
  • Options
    I love daycare. I'm sure there are some mom's that are hating me, but im a first time mom with a lot of job responsibility and not a lot of family help. Our daycare is a united way affiliated daycare, non-corporate, non-profit, non-religious program. The women and man at the center LOVE what they do and some have been doing it for >30yrs. Since I don't have a mom, I get to ask them questions and they help us a ton.

Feel comfortable, trust your gut, visit on and off during the first 2-3 wks (I went in and nursed)....but most importantly get to know his/her teachers. They will help you problem solve an ear infection, a sleep routine, etc. Good ones will respect your wishes and listen to your concerns. Good luck!!! Daycare has me rushing to get him bc I love playing w him and not worrying about everything else that isn't getting done (dishes/laundry).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had 12 weeks of maternity leave. I went back to work full time on a Wednesday. I started my daughter in daycare a couple days before on Monday. She was completely fine, it was more me that had a harder time. It was nice for me to be close by the first couple days. I also chose to have a "me" day the first day I dropped her off so I could look forward to something and get my mind off of her at daycare. I got my nails done and went shopping for a 1st day back to work outfit. A lot of my work clothes don't fit the same since my body is different now after the baby. It was nice to have the time to try on clothes and not have the baby with me.

Also, it's okay to cry after you drop him off. Totally normal! :)
  • Options
    I second getting your LO used to a bottle. That can be tough. DS1 wouldn't eat a daycare and nursed like his first week. DS2 and 3 had no problems. Just know that might happen too. 
    Honestly, it was worse for me than the babies. I brought in lots of pictures. I took a half day the first week just so I could go cuddle my little man. (Even though I love my job and totally want to be back at work)
  • Options
    We took our LO in a few times to meet everyone and get use to the environment. If you can take him a couple weeks part time to start off that should help.