July 2015 Moms
Options

Colicky baby...help!!

over the last few weeks my baby has begun to cry more and more. She's four weeks and We just went to the doc and she is doing great other than the crying.
Last night I she cried four seven hours straight other than when she was feeding. I noticed she doesn't really nap during the day...not even when I'm holding her. So I wonder if this has anything to do with it? And if it does how can I get her to sleep during the day????
I'm about to lose my mind...any advice or support is greatly appreciated.

Re: Colicky baby...help!!

• Options
    Our little boy also is suffering from the same thing. We give him a little bit of boiled (and cooled down) water, that seems to help for him. Also put him on he's belly, sometimes it helps to pass some gas and burping, burping, burping.. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Have you tired a swing some times that motion helps them also try burping her longer
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will try the stomach thing. But we have tried pretty much every swing on the market. I just tried the vacuum and it seems to be working....I'm just not sure how long I can keep it running. It's so loud!!!
  • Options
    Im Dealing with it too. my baby is 4 weeks today and cries every night 12am to 6am and has started being more fussy during the day. I quit eating dairy a few days ago because it can hurt their tummy and cause acid reflux. You may want to try that. No dairy or whey (which is in a lot of stuff). I feel your pain. I just called the dr to see what I can do for him. It is so hard and I find myself crying with him sometimes.
  • Options
    @Thera888 giving infants at this age water can be very dangerous and mess up their electrolytes. Please don't recommend this!
  • Options
    It could also just be that babies cry because babies cry. The Period of Purple crying website has been helpful for me. If you've ruled out everything else and there is nothing medically wrong, then it could be Purple crying. Of course, still try to sooth and comfort, because even if your LO doesn't stop crying, they still know you're there

Good luck! I know once I knew there wasn't anything wrong with my DD and I had done everything I could, it made her crying a little easier to deal with. Because at least I know I did everything I could...and, I'm not a failure as a mom.
  • Options
    claudia3059claudia3059 member
    edited August 2015

Im Dealing with it too. my baby is 4 weeks today and cries every night 12am to 6am and has started being more fussy during the day. I quit eating dairy a few days ago because it can hurt their tummy and cause acid reflux. You may want to try that. No dairy or whey (which is in a lot of stuff). I feel your pain. I just called the dr to see what I can do for him. It is so hard and I find myself crying with him sometimes.

Yes!!! I totally cried my eyes out today. It's been rough. I'm going to try eliminating dairy soon. I highly recommend the vacuum!
  • Options
    I don't know if this will help but I was recommended to give my son colic calm gripe water it's for gas, colic, and upset stomach. I was a little doubtful at first because I did not want to introduce anything that was not organic or natural into my son system but it seemed to work fine and my son was able to burp all the air out and went to sleep after hours of being awake. Consult with your doctor first though and Good luck! I know as moms we try everything to make them feel comfortable and see them happy
  • Options
    Gripe water and babywearing!
  • Options
    kelly422 said:

@Thera888 giving infants at this age water can be very dangerous and mess up their electrolytes. Please don't recommend this!

Whaaaaat?? Never heard about that!!
    :-t In one baby magazine they suggested sugar water and I got that magazine from doctor?!?!?
  • Options
    n3na94 said:

I don't know if this will help but I was recommended to give my son colic calm gripe water it's for gas, colic, and upset stomach. I was a little doubtful at first because I did not want to introduce anything that was not organic or natural into my son system but it seemed to work fine and my son was able to burp all the air out and went to sleep after hours of being awake. Consult with your doctor first though and Good luck! I know as moms we try everything to make them feel comfortable and see them happy

Bought it today! Along with more pacifiers...of course she screamed all through Target! She is finally sleep right now after hours of crying so fingers crossed. I'm ready to do or try just about anything right now.

Thank you all for your responses...I feel a lot less alone right now!!
  • Options
    My first was colicky and if she was awake she was crying. One thing that helped us was sitting on one of those large excercise balls while holding her and gently bouncing. That motion seemed to be the only one that soothed her.
  • Options
    @claudia3059 I went to the dr and told them I thought my baby had reflux or colic. After talking with her for a whIle she really thinks he has silent reflux where they don't always spit up so it just sits in the back of their esophagus and burns them. She gave us a prescription for acid reflux meds and said it will take 2 weeks to know if it works and if not then he has colic.
    I noticed if I feed him in an upright position and then hold him over my shoulder for 30 minutes after eating or til he falls asleep he will sleep good. Last night I kept him upright and didn't lay him down flat and he slept so good! No crying fits at all. So maybe read up on reflux and see if you think your baby may have that?
  • Options
    My first was like this, it took a few weeks but eventually we diagnosed a dairy allergy. It takes 2 weeks to get all the dairy out of your system but 16 days after I eliminated dairy I had a brand new baby! Didn't cry all the time, I could set him down, he would sleep, it was amazing! It's quite the undertaking to go dairy free but it does work!