March 2015 Moms
Options

Arsenic in rice cereal???

I have been doing some pretty scary research on arsenic levels in rice cereal and their possible health implications for babies. My pediatrician just recommended starting baby on a cereal other than rice cereal for this very reason. Is anyone else weary about rice cereal? I know that it is the standard go-to first food for babies- it was the first thing I gave my daughter 4 years ago.

Re: Arsenic in rice cereal???

• Options
    I had some concerns, seeing as my family eats rice 5-6x a week. I do take precautions: choosing lower risk rice, thoroughly rinsing before cooking, buying only California grown rice, etc. Most of the research I've read suggest the benefits outweigh the risk. I plan on feeding my LO more poi instead of rice cereal this time around, will still offer her rice cereal though.
  • Options
    I've heard quinoa is much better for babies. You can try that instead. More nutrition.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our pediatrician said we can skip the rice cereal and use the baby oat cereal.
  • Options
    My pediatrician also said to skip right to the baby oatmeal because of the arsenic issue.
  • Options
    My pediatrician said to skip it as well.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15