Baby Showers

Co-Ed shower in the winter?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for Co-Ed showers near the end of November? I live in the south so it may not be crazy cold, but any ideas I have seen have been based on a BBQ theme... Something we could do inside, but not as fun.

Just looking for any additional ideas I haven't been able to find!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

Re: Co-Ed shower in the winter?

• egraves4 said:

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for Co-Ed showers near the end of November? I live in the south so it may not be crazy cold, but any ideas I have seen have been based on a BBQ theme... Something we could do inside, but not as fun.

Just looking for any additional ideas I haven't been able to find!

I don't understand the question. Are you looking for ideas that are less fun than a BBQ? Ideas that are indoors or out?

Honestly, my H and his friends would rather lick a toilet seat than go to a baby shower so unless it was disguised as a BBQ football party, it just wouldn't go over well.

Why not ask your SO for ideas of what he would like?
  • So is this a shower like a traditional shower except dudes will be there or is this just a party that your are calling a shower because people are more likely to attend a "baby" event then a normal get together?
  • Loading the player...
  • Uhhh...? It's a baby shower.

A lot of my SO's friends have showed interest in coming to the shower so we have decided to have a co-Ed one. We're looking for a theme. BBQ is awesome, but our shower is going to be in late November, which may be difficult to do since it won't be outdoors. However, we may just end up having one that is inside. I was just looking for better ideas, Pinterest wasn't helping much.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 

• egraves4 said:

Uhhh...? It's a baby shower.

A lot of my SO's friends have showed interest in coming to the shower so we have decided to have a co-Ed one. We're looking for a theme. BBQ is awesome, but our shower is going to be in late November, which may be difficult to do since it won't be outdoors. However, we may just end up having one that is inside. I was just looking for better ideas, Pinterest wasn't helping much.

You can just have a co-ed baby shower then with the normal baby themes. When you ask about what other themes you can do (such as the BBQ) it makes it seem like you're trying to have some other type of party.

• Honestly, this is something your hostess should be handling. It's really up to them to decide whether it's co-ed and what theme, etc.
    I agree.

However, I just wanted to throw out that the shower I threw for my sister was "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and took place in early December.  
  • For food, maybe a chili bar where you have a couple different types of chili (regular, chicken, veggie) and the guests can put their toppings of choice (cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, scallions, etc.)?
  • Not to be a spoil-sport, but do you really need "ideas?"  Just lay on the usual party food that people like (BBQ, sandwiches, finger foods, salads, desserts) and have a party.  At some point during the party, have the parents-to-be open gifts.

I'm assuming, of course, that you're the hostess planning this for someone else, and not planning your own shower.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • egraves4egraves4 member
    edited August 2015
    My mom and MIL are planning the shower's details but they asked me if there was any type of theme I wanted to have. I totally understand the whole not throwing my own, not gonna happen, just wanted my input :)

As for whether a theme is needed or not, I guess it isn't. I've honestly only been to one other shower (I'm the first of my friends to have a baby) and they had a nautical theme because that's what she picked out for the nursery. Honestly, I'm the last person to ask how to throw a shower, I have a lot to learn. As it was a request from SO to have a co-Ed one, our moms thought it was best to get our opinions since I've no idea what the differences would even be.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15

• egraves4 said:

My mom and MIL are planning the shower's details but they asked me if there was any type of theme I wanted to have. I totally understand the whole not throwing my own, not gonna happen, just wanted my input :)

As for whether a theme is needed or not, I guess it isn't. I've honestly only been to one other shower (I'm the first of my friends to have a baby) and they had a nautical theme because that's what she picked out for the nursery. Honestly, I'm the last person to ask how to throw a shower, I have a lot to learn. As it was a request from SO to have a co-Ed one, our moms thought it was best to get our opinions since I've no idea what the differences would even be.

Glad to hear you aren't throwing your own.

I would ask to skip shower games if they're planning any. As a woman, I wouldn't even want to play games if I were at an all-female shower, but I think men especially would appreciate just hanging out and eating and drinking.

Good food and drinks trump a cute theme any day. If you can find a way to make BBQ work, that would be a nice change up for late November.
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Usually when you get into themes for decorations, that just makes it more expensive and difficult on the hostess(es)... I would just suggest colors or something and let them use their imagination on the decorating.  If they can fit in a theme, great.  Otherwise, it can start to get pricey.

Regarding the co-ed shower, as a PP suggested, just regular party foods should be nice.  You can have BBQ at the shower (brisket, sausage, beans, etc.) as well as snack foods even if you aren't grilling outside due to the weather.  

Also I would urge against the games if it's a co-ed.  Best of luck to you guys.
  • I co-hosted a co-ed shower in February and it was the theme of her nursery (Snoopy). We just had sandwiches, fruit, cheese and crackers and cake. We played 1 game (Price is Right) and I had diapers for everyone to write funny things on as they felt like it. It turned out good. You don't need to do anything special just because it's co-ed. Just confirm the max head count with your host. Co-ed numbers can get out of control. We went from 30 ppl to 70 really fast and we were not prepared for that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • egraves4 said:
    My mom and MIL are planning the shower's details but they asked me if there was any type of theme I wanted to have. I totally understand the whole not throwing my own, not gonna happen, just wanted my input :) As for whether a theme is needed or not, I guess it isn't. I've honestly only been to one other shower (I'm the first of my friends to have a baby) and they had a nautical theme because that's what she picked out for the nursery. Honestly, I'm the last person to ask how to throw a shower, I have a lot to learn. As it was a request from SO to have a co-Ed one, our moms thought it was best to get our opinions since I've no idea what the differences would even be.
    Okay, sounds good.

When I have hosted traditional "women only" showers, I usually try to keep the invites, paper products, and any decorations to a color or a theme.  If the MTB has a nursery theme picked out, or there's something that makes sense given the parents' lifestyle, I'll go with that. (Example: boats for a couple who enjoy sailing; paper lantern decorations for a mom adopting from South Korea.)  But I don't go Pinterest-bonkers about it.  The notion that showers MUST have an elaborate, cutesy theme is a Pinterest phenomenon, not reality.

If you're having a co-ed shower, you're already kind of saying that you don't want the traditional shower trappings.  Just reassure your mom and MIL that a nice gathering of friends and family will be just fine. 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Maybe suggest a chili/ soup bar or a taco bar or a baked potato bar.
  • Chilli bar, pizza bar, nacho bar, baked potato bar, taco bar, hotdog bar, sundae bar ... All seem like great ideas for a coed shower!
  • Thank you so much everyone for all the advice!

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15

• Depending on the ages/mix of your SO's friends who come, baby shower games can be fun for guys if they're the type who might be interested. Things like trying to chug beer from a baby bottle, making the boys taste different types of baby food and guess what they are (bonus for getting the weird meat baby food), etc. really depends on the crowd, though. N

But just having a fun party (maybe centered around watching a game if you're big football fans) is a great idea, too. Serve game-day snacks like nachos and wings and guacamole. It's nice your SO wants to be included, my
    DH was offered the chance to have a co-Ed shower and decided he wanted to just hang with his dudes at a brewery while the ladies had a shower for me. Not baby-related, but my sister's husband's family threw them a co-Ed wedding shower that was fiesta-themed, complete with tasty tacos and Mexican dishes, margaritas, and a festive photo station.
  • Oohh yeah a pizza bar.  Maybe you can have different types of home made  French Bread Pizza  to choose from ?
  • Our co-ed shower will be at a local bar/restaurant! It'll be more of an open house, no games, just show up and visit and have some finger foods. Also the fact that it's at a bar the guys could have a Guinness or draught beer.

I'm very anti-traditional baby shower and insisted it be a co-ed, guy friendly party, so my husband and our guy friends could be included too.
  • @Dannylion24  Love the idea of the football game!  HUGE college football fan and my shower will be the day of one of the smaller games... hmmm.... lol

@Theliops Thanks for the great idea!  We have a lot of friends in all different places and it's good to get some different ideas, especially because it will be a pretty big friend reunion.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15

• I would not make my husband sit through a baby shower since he would just complain or say "this is women stuff" I said my mom and I were starting to plan my shower and he was like "do I get anything" and I suggested a Beer and Diapers party for him. We provide the beer/alcohol and the men bring diapers instead of beer and then less diapers for us purchase :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would not make my husband sit through a baby shower since he would just complain or say "this is women stuff" I said my mom and I were starting to plan my shower and he was like "do I get anything" and I suggested a Beer and Diapers party for him. We provide the beer/alcohol and the men bring diapers instead of beer and then less diapers for us purchase :) 

For what it's worth, this is not an event you should be throwing for your H, since you're asking for gifts.