Baby Names

Middle name for Vivian?

We are having a surprise, so our girl name is Ari Vivian.  However, I am getting more fond of the name Vivian (it was my grandmother's name, and my husband really loves it)  

I have been playing around with using Vivian as the first name instead.  I would not use Ari with it as a middle name.  

Maybe Vivian Rose?  I believe my Mom had a grandmother named Rose. 

We do however have a longer last name, hence using the short name like Ari to go with our last. 

Re: Middle name for Vivian?

• Rose was my first thought.

Elaine, Margaret, Helena, Skye, Opal, Jean, Jane, Ruth, Claire
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Vivian Rose is pretty.

Ari is a boys name. If you like the sound of it for a first name, I'd suggest Arielle, Ariella, or Arianna instead.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Loading the player...
  • I would totally do Vivian, as Ari is masculine. 

Vivian Rose is nice, especially with family connections.

Vivian Claire
    Vivian Leigh
    Vivian Faith
    Vivian Pearl
    Vivian Meave
    Vivian Hope
    Vivian Grace
  • Yes, I am aware Ari is primarily a boy's name.  I have a girl in my class named Declan, nowadays you can get away with anything. We do not like Arianna, Arielle, ect.  We like just plain Ari. 
  • shaina925 said:

Yes, I am aware Ari is primarily a boy's name.  I have a girl in my class named Declan, nowadays you can get away with anything. We do not like Arianna, Arielle, ect.  We like just plain Ari. 

It's not just primarily used for boys - it is 100% a masculine name. There are many girls' names that are short.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Please go with Vivian for the first name. Ari is 100000% masculine.

Rose is a nice middle name for Vivian. I also suggest June, Jane, Pearl, Iris, and Faye.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• So Declan isn't masculine?  I had never heard that before for a girl.  I also know a girl Harrison and Hunter, to me very masculine.  If we like Ari for a girl, why not?  You like what you like. 
  • shaina925 said:

So Declan isn't masculine?  I had never heard that before for a girl.  I also know a girl Harrison and Hunter, to me very masculine.  If we like Ari for a girl, why not?  You like what you like. 

Yes... those are all definitely masculine. It's been very trendy lately to give girls masculine names. I think girls deserve feminine names. You don't see people naming their sons Elizabeth or Vivian. Why is it fair to do that to girls but not boys?

But you're right. It's your decision. Name your daughter what you'd like. But Vivian is lovely and far superior. Best of luck to you!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

•  But you're right. It's your decision. Name your daughter what you'd like. But Vivian is lovely and far superior. Best of luck to you!

Thank you :)
  • Vivian is lovely! I agree that a short middle name would be best. Some I like:

Rose
    Eve
    Elle
    Claire
    June

• shaina925 said:
    So Declan isn't masculine?  I had never heard that before for a girl.  I also know a girl Harrison and Hunter, to me very masculine.  If we like Ari for a girl, why not?  You like what you like. 

I agree with you. And I usually hate masculine names for girls. But Ari just sounds feminine to me. Maybe this is because I went to high school with a girl named Ori (short for orianna) I think we can all agree it's way better than Declan! 

• Vivian Rose. Ari is a no go for a girl. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Vivian Rose I love so much!
    Also mn Pearl or Hope. All classic names that flow beautifully
  • Vivian is a beautiful name, I much prefer it to Ari. Vivian Rose is pretty

Vivian Noelle
    Vivian Elise
    Vivian Jane
    Vivian Audrey
    Vivian Claire
    Vivian Quinn
    Vivian Willow
    Vivian Jolie
    Vivian Kaye
    Vivian Lena
    Vivian Mila
    Vivian Maeve
    Vivian Adele
    Vivian Lilith
    Vivian Esme
    Vivian Belle
    Vivian Anna
  • Declan is absolutely masculine, as is Ari. Just because someone else is giving their daughter a boy name doesn't mean everyone should do it. Unless of course you'll name you son Susan or Elizabeth, then by all means, carry on.
  • Yes, please name your little girl Vivian. It is so much prettier than Ari. Rose would be a nice mn

MN suggestions:
    Ruby
    Ruth
    Hope
    Elise
    Ava
    Iris
    Paige

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I would totally side eye a girl Ari and judge the parents for using it, it's like naming your daughter Moses or your son Mary.  Vivian is beautiful and works for all ages.  

I like Vivian Rose for the family sense.

Vivian Pearl
    Vivian Faith
    Vivian Paige
    Vivian Irene
    Vivian Diane
    Vivian Alexandra
    Vivian Jade
    Vivian Clarice
    Vivian Marie
    Vivian Lauren

• holoceneholocene member
    edited August 2015
    PLEASE choose Vivian. 

Ari is my
    son's name. 

Vivian Rose is lovely.

Vivian Rose is lovely.
  • If I saw a Ari (as a given name) I would assume that person was male. And I know three little boys with that name. However, I do know a female Ari....but it is short for her given name, Ariana. 

I think that Vivian is better than Ari for a girl. My first thought is June, just because that was my husbands grandmother's name (Vivian June), but I think that any shorter name will work. 

Vivian Mae
    Vivian June
    Vivian Irene
    Vivian Jane
    Vivian Rose
    Vivian Ruth
    Vivian Hope
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I like Vivian as the first name!
    Grace. Rose. Faith.
  • My daughter's name is Vivienne Renée.
  • It doesn't bother me that Ari is boy's name. It does bother me that Ari is really a nickname. Whenever I've heard it, it's on Jewish boys whose names are usually Ariel. 

A year ago, I taught English in orthodox Jewish school. I had three boys named Ari, and also an Avi and and an Azi. So that's what I think of. I also don't think Ari Vivian really flows together. I'd go with Vivian as a first name. Plenty of great mn's that go with it (Vivian Rose is very pretty pretty). 
  • Definitely drop Ari. Vivian is NMS, but it is light years better than Ari, which is masculine.

Vivian Pearl
    Vivian Claire
    Vivian Louise
    Vivian Blythe
    Vivian Marie
    Vivian Alice
    Vivian Jean
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Greco1014 said:

It doesn't bother me that Ari is boy's name. It does bother me that Ari is really a nickname. Whenever I've heard it, it's on Jewish boys whose names are usually Ariel. 

A year ago, I taught English in orthodox Jewish school. I had three boys named Ari, and also an Avi and and an Azi. So that's what I think of. I also don't think Ari Vivian really flows together. I'd go with Vivian as a first name. Plenty of great mn's that go with it (Vivian Rose is very pretty pretty). 
    Just FYI, Ari is a standalone Hebrew boys name, not necessarily a nn. Avi sometimes is used as a given name, too, though sometimes a nn. I've never heard Azi but I know an Aziz.

Anyway, definitely boys names.

• I love Vivian Rose...I'm sorry to join the group that is anti-Ari, but your baby your choice right?! :)

I do also like the mn's:
    Mae
    June
    Hope
    Sky
    Elle

TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Vivian is beautiful and timeless. I love Vivian Rose, Vivian Elise, and Vivian Claire.