December 2015 Moms
Options

Opting out of glucose test?

CMDirksCMDirks member
edited August 2015 in December 2015 Moms
I'm just wondering if anyone else has been given the choice to opt out of the gluicose test, and if it's safe. My Midwife said that since I'm in the lowest risk category they won't make me do it, but I've also heard some people say that weight and age and those sorts of things aren't always indicators, and anyone can have it. I'm wondering if it's risky for me not to take the test at all.

Re: Opting out of glucose test?

• Options
    Where I live there's a Dr who will just so a pin prick test lie diabetics do to monitor their diabetes then if that's out he'll send for the full test. Can I ask why you don't want to do it? Its just a bit of time out of your day and for the health of you and your baby isn't that the main thing?
  • Options
    I can't really think of a reason good enough to opt out of it. Just because you're low risk doesn't mean it's impossible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I opted out of taking the drink the lab offers for the test and will instead be eating something else and have blood drawn an hour later. I wouldn't opt out completely.
  • Options
    Knowing what I know now about GD, I would not opt out of the test even if I didn't have any risk factors.The possible complications of uncontrolled high blood sugar can be very serious for mom and baby. But I did have a lot of risk factors for GD, and it turns out that I do have GD. I personally did not have any symptoms before I was diagnosed, and had no idea that my blood sugar was high. I had to make some changes to my diet, but it really hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be. 
  • Options
    My healthy, fit Aunt had GD, it isn't based on your overall health. The test isn't hard or danngerous, being undiagnosed is.
  • Options
    I wouldn't opt out for any reason
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I just wanted some opinions because my Midwife made it seem like it wasn't really necessary for me. Sounds like I should just go for it anyway.
  • Options
    It's actually very hormonal driven, not just risk factors etc. The thing is if you do have GD and don't know, then when baby is born they have a high chance of being hypoglycemic, which is quite dangerous (not trying to be dramatic, I'm a perinatal nurse) and would need to be supplemented as there are many consequences to a baby being hypoglycemic. When you are diagnosed GD they check baby's blood sugar usually at 2 hours just to make sure everything is okay. Last week i had three GD moms, all babies had low blood sugar. So it's just a thought! There are ways to tell if baby has low BS, for example they are jittery at times however it's not always obvious, sometimes their temperature is low because they cannot maintain it due to low bs.
    I'm not trying to freak anyone out, just putting it out there.
  • Options
    MelissadmagMelissadmag member
    edited August 2015
    I didn't know eating something was an option. Do you know what it is you'll have to eat yet? Depending on what it is I think I might be able to handle eating something on an empty stomach as opposed to drinking something without throwing up. Hmmm...I wonder if that's even an option at my Dr.'s office. Thanks for bringing this up. 
  • Options
    I asked my OB if there was the option to ingest something else than this drink full of corn syrup and artificial colors/flavors. She said the only option was to special order these specific jelly beans because that's the only way they can make sure you're getting the right amount of glucose. I don't do gelatin, so that wasn't an option for me. I decided to suck it up and drink the orange stuff. I'm not too happy about it, but I figure a one-off won't hurt me.
  • Options

I asked my OB if there was the option to ingest something else than this drink full of corn syrup and artificial colors/flavors. She said the only option was to special order these specific jelly beans because that's the only way they can make sure you're getting the right amount of glucose. I don't do gelatin, so that wasn't an option for me. I decided to suck it up and drink the orange stuff. I'm not too happy about it, but I figure a one-off won't hurt me.

Ask them if one flavor has less than another. There are options on which one you can have with my OB and recently they switched so the fruit punch flavor at least has no coloring whereas the orange is still very much orange colored.
  • Options
    Why would you want to?  According to my Dr even the healthiest women can get GD.  She said it has very little to do with your previous health it is all hormonal (isn't that the truth?) and is important to know because it can lead to a VERY big baby if you have it.  Meaning they need to keep a much closer eye on baby in the later weeks and after birth.  Hopefully you only have to do the one test and all is well.
  • Options
    Brachs brand jelly beans, 19 in 10 mins and then wait an hour. This is what I will be doing instead of the drink. They are available at our commissary on base in Guam so if they have them here in sure they can easily be found stateside
  • Options
    Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited August 2015
    My OB offered an alternative of checking my own glucose before and after every meal for a week and giving her the results. I can't stomach regular soda or super sweet tea even before pregnancy, so there is no doubt I wouldn't be able to keep down the drink. Had there not been an alternate option, I would not have opted out completely because GD can be dangerous if undetected.
  • Options
    Not to be "that guy", but as a severe hypoglycemic myself, I test my sugar daily to reassure myself and my doctor that I have control (I didn't test much before I got pregnant because my control was great, but pregnancy is a new ball game), and I'm able to opt-out due to frequent testing per my doctor and MFM. I was "warned" per se that if I did the test, even though it's only the one hour, I'd have to hang out and be monitored after "just in case". This, obviously, not typical to anyone's situation. I have done glucose tests in the past (again, when o wasn't pregnant), and they are much longer (5 hours) and I always end up unconscious long before the end. So, in my case, I don't have to do the glucose test, but, I still have to check my sugar regularly to rule out GD, because even though I'm severely hypoglycemic, it doesn't meant GD couldn't happen to me.
  • Options
    My mom was little but healthy 5'1" 100 lbs and had GD all three pregnancy. I am very healthy 5'4" 125 lbs and will obviously be taking it. It's not impossible.
  • Options
    My biggest issue with this test is at what other point in my pregnancy am I ever going to be drinking what sounds like an intensely sweet sugary syrupy drink?! It just doesn't make sense to me that they test you after drinking that, wouldn't it make more sense to be tested after eating a typical meal that you would actually consume on a daily basis? I've heard some mentions of people failing the 1 hour and not actually ending up having GD after the 3 hour test so I'm definitely not very thrilled about taking it, I'm definitely going to bring my concerns up to my doctor and see if we can do a regular blood sugar check possibly but I will do the normal test if need be. Anyone have any insight on this?
  • Options
    I posted above an alternative that my doctor offered, you may also ask if you can take home a meter and sticks and bring back results after a certain amount of time monitoring.
  • Options
    This is my third baby. I have a new doctor and am heavier this time around. My doctor made me take the one hour earlier than normal. I unfortunately failed the one hour and had to do the three hour test-first pregnancy for the three hour test. I was rather nervous about having to drink the sugar drink on an empty stomach (you have to fast with the three hour) and being really hungry and weak afterward. I was fine. Completely and utterly fine. No problem! I wasn't even that hungry when I left and instead of wanting to avoid sugar I was kinda craving it later in the day. I think we hear a bunch of horror stories about people having trouble with these tests but we don't hear the other side-all the people that have no problems whatsoever because they make boring stories when nothing happened. I think there are some people that legitimately have issues with them but they are the minority.
  • Options
    My issue isn't the drink or waiting an hour or 3. My issue is the needle. I HATE having my blood drawn. Before pregnancy I must had my blood drawn 3 times in my life! I wish I could opt out but I am not that selfish. Of course I'll still do it. :( Just dreading it the most. Ugh this post just gave me anxiety and my test isn't for another 4 weeks.
  • Options
    I just did it. It is easier and quick. I was afraid of the taste of the drink, but it was fine.
  • Options
    There's no reason not to take it. It's best if it's cold and then just use a straw, chug it down, and get the blood draw over with. My healthiest friend, a freakin marathon runner who's vegan had GD with every pregnancy. Low risk doesn't mean anything with GD.
  • Options

I posted above an alternative that my doctor offered, you may also ask if you can take home a meter and sticks and bring back results after a certain amount of time monitoring.

This is what my midwife does for her testing. I monitor for about a week and set times during the day before and after meals.