February 2016 Moms

Washing Machine Issue - not pregnancy related

Hey, ladies!
I apologize that this is not a pregnancy related post; however, I am running out of ideas and I figured a group full of women might have some suggestions.

My top loading washing machine has recently been leaving small brown flakes on my clothes.  Additionally, at the bottom of the washer, there are sometimes hard chunks of what seem like soap scum or nasty residue.  (possibly mildew?) I have tried taking apart the fabric softener and bleach dispensers and cleaning them with a toothbrush, a vinegar wash, a wash with CLR and of course the tide washing machine cleaner.  Nothing seems to be working.  

I just washed my sheets on hot water with oxyclean and detergent. When I removed them from the wash, they looked worse than ever - covered in those nasty brown flakes and with the chunks in the bottom of the wash again!

Any suggestions on how to clean it? It seems like the fuller loads are worse. Especially if they're heavy items like towels or sheets. Help!!

Re: Washing Machine Issue - not pregnancy related

• Have you tried running empty loads of just vinegar in it to clean it out? May be worth a shot.

• I did, but no luck. I may try it again with more vinegar.
  • Loading the player...
  • How old is your machine?

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • surferP528surferP528 member
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure because it was provided with the apartment, but the buildings are only 7 years old, so I would assume they were new then.
  • I'm not sure because it's a rental, but the buildings are only 7 years old, so I would assume they were new then.
    Can you call in a work order with your landlord?

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Yes. I guess that's what I'll have to do if I can't figure it out myself. I just hate to call in maintenance if it's something I can do.
  • Can you filter the water going in somehow?
  • There are washing machine cleaners from Tide. Idk if they are just for front loaders but worth a shot
  • g8trkim said:

Have you tried running empty loads of just vinegar in it to clean it out? May be worth a shot.

This helps with ours because it doesn't run properly and always leaves hard water which smells.
    I would definitely call if it's a rental and have the maintence person come fix it
  • If you're ok with chemicals, maybe try running a couple loads with bleach. It could be mold or mildew caught on the underside of the drum that you can't get to.