Los Angeles Babies
Options

Pregnancy Classes around Silver Lake

Hi! I'm new to the board and wanted to see if anyone had taken any great birth/pregnancy/parenting classes around the Silver Lake/Los Feliz/Echo Park/Eagle Rock area. We aren't due until 2/16 but want to sign up at least a few months in advance so we don't miss out. I've been looking at classes at GraceFull in Silver Lake but they were only for 2 days; my husband and I would really like to get to know some other pregnant couples over the course of a few weeks since none of our friends in LA have kids.  I also read about Two Doulas birth classes in Los Feliz but the reviews seemed kind of mixed. I've heard the Pump Station in Hollywood is really great for breastfeeding classes and also support after the baby is born.

I'm looking for a non judgmental class that goes over strategies to deal with pain but also talks about other options. I have no idea how it will feel to give birth and I've also heard every pregnancy is different so I don't want to close myself off to any options. I've already experienced a mom judging others who asked questions about pain relief on a hospital tour and I'd like to avoid that type of experience if possible.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Pregnancy Classes around Silver Lake

• Options
    Hi! I took classes at Gracefull and loved it! I took a childcare class that taught techniques of after the baby is home and also a breast feeding class that was hands on and awesome!
    I would keep checking the schedule or call and ask! I ended up doing the birthing classes privately with my doula.
    I also looked into Two Doulas and the negative reviews outweighed the cost for me.
    Del Mar Birth Center in South Pasadena is supposed to be great as well. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Hi @airmarket and @BabyBean54! For what it's worth, I'm partial to Del Mar Birthing Center - I've got two friends who work there, and they're both incredible nurse-midwives.

I'm definitely going to look into Gracefull - we've got time (we're not due until 3/10), but I'd love to be able to meet other pregnant couples in the area.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it. When do you think is the best time to take a class? I am in the first trimester still but I am really excited to learn more. I've heard great things about the Del Mar Birthing Center; I didn't realize they had classes too.

Congrats, @TeamMagik! I am due a month before you. :) We really want to meet other couples too since none of our LA friends are expecting or have children yet.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure why Two Doulas Birth has such mixed ratings online. My partner and I took their intensive two-day birthing class in late July and absolutely loved it. Becca was so incredibly knowledgeable not only about the birthing process but about the birthing and baby community in northeast Los Angeles. Since we took the class, I've reached out to her for info on daycares and other baby-related topics, and have appreciated her referrals and expertise.

Others I've come into contact with (like a prenatal support group I was in, and a prenatal chiropractor I went to) knew and liked Two Doulas. I'd definitely recommend them!