1st Trimester
Options

Plus Sized & Pregnant

okay so since I found out I was pregnant I was happy but also a little concerned that I'm not going to look pregnant. I was wondering if anyone knows of something that'll enhance my "pregnant" look. Help!

Re: Plus Sized & Pregnant

• Options
    I was plus sized when I was pregnant with my son, and although I've lost a lot of weight since then, I'm still somewhat overweight, and I worry about the same thing. You may not 'show' as soon as others, so don't rush yourself or get discouraged. There's not much to 'enhance' the pregnant look, except for buying appropriate clothing and don't be afraid to wear something maybe a bit tighter fitting than you would pre-pregnancy! Motherhood maternity has some great options, as does target and Old Navy. 
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Options
    I'm plus sized, heck, I'm pretty obese, not going to sugar coat it. I've not gained a lot, I'm actually losing now that my "morning" sickness is back in full swing. I am starting to show now (24 weeks) and I fully agree with above poster, don't be afraid to wear something a little tighter. ALSO maternity pants will be a godsend! Especially from Motherhood Maternity! Don't let your size diminish your excitement or make you feel self-conscious, you're growing a human being, relish in the moments :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hcrice77hcrice77 member
    edited July 2015
    Big girl here too!! So I'm only 6 weeks, but I feel like I already can't fit in my clothes and quite honestly the thought of gaining anymore weight is really getting me down (if not mildly depressed.) Am I crazy or is this a somewhat normal reaction?
  • Options
    hcrice77 said:
    Big girl here too!! So I'm only 6 weeks, but I feel like I already can't fit in my clothes and quite honestly the thought of gaining anymore weight is really getting me down (if not mildly depressed.) Am I crazy or is this a somewhat normal reaction?
    Totally normal! I watch the scale like a hawk and find myself getting down occasionally. I try to remind myself this is temporary and the best reason to see those numbers go up instead of down. I went and got new maternity pants at about 6 weeks. If any of you ladies EVER need to vent or just need to talk, feel free to message me! 
  • Options
    Thank you, Erika!! I am going to take you up on your offer, but I am kind of new to this and only know how to message from here. Where did you get maternity clothes?
  • Options
    That is also my fear! I told my husband when we started trying that I needed to lose weight so people think I'm actually pregnant and not just fat. Well we got the BFP with our first try so I'm kinda nervous now. I've lost 5 pounds so far and I'm in 7w5d so I'm hoping I'll lose a little more. My OBGYN only wants me to gain about 10-15lbs for the pregnancy so I'm also hoping I can lose the weight soon after the birth!

Target has really cute maternity clothes and I am also wanting to know of any online stores that have inexpensive maternity clothing!
  • Options
    *Lurking*... found my way into the 1st tri board looking for a thread on body pillows. I'm 14w5d with #2 and I wish I had the picture on my phone of delivery day with DD... you will certainly look pregnant! It will take a little longer to really look identifiably pregnant than it would for thinner women but trust me, it happens. I find that maternity clothes do wonders for enhancing the look (and they're super comfy, so why not???) This next part is coming from the "been there already" point of view, but this time... your pregnancy... is absolutely incredible. Don't let anything diminish that for you. I know I felt the exact same way with my first (worried I would just look fat and not pregnant, worried about gaining more weight and never losing it again...) especially early in pregnancy. Once you feel your baby move inside you and really get a sense of what your body is doing, none of that matters. I was in awe of my pregnancy... overweight or not, I was doing something incredible! It can be difficult but try to own it! We are all rock stars!
    As for the weight gain... drink as much water as you can handle!!! A lot of my "gain" from my first was water weight do to some crazy swelling (but this will happen working as a teacher in a non-air conditioned building through May/June) but drinking water like a camel will help flush all that out and help prevent it.
    Ladies, I wish you all a beautiful pregnancy! I wish there was a board on TB for plus size ladies to connect better but if anyone ever wants to chat or vent, I'm here :-)
  • Options
    I am in the same boat and I feel the exact same way!!! I'm dreading my first ob appointment because I don't want the guilt trip. I have been pretty good at guilting myself already!!
  • Options
    Great website I found, plussizebirth.com. it was nice to see plus size women with baby bumps. It's not full of stuff, but it was definitely nice to see. Does anyone know if there's a FB page?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure what exactly you consider plus size but I'm definitely overweight (size 14) and I tend to carry my weight in my belly. I was talking with a young lady who is a few weeks further along than I am and she's very small and I told her she didn't look pregnant and she told me I didn't either. I had to force myself not to cry because I've been in maternity since about 6-7 weeks. 

ETA - my ex sil was 5'3" and about 310 pounds when she got pregnant and she never did appear to be pregnant other than how she adjusted her walking.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I'm plus size too. My sisters always laugh at me for saying I don't look pregnant I just look like I expand when I'm expecting. They finally took a picture of me, when I wasn't looking, to prove it to me. They were right. I'm finally to the point where I can embrace my pregnant figure be it as it may and not worry about what others, including statistics, say. So bring on the sweatpants! Lol