January 2016 Moms
Options

Question for moms who breastfeed

after breastfeeding would you recommend self pumping or electric? Ftm and I'm thinking electric only because I'm told breastfeeding can hurt and I would rather it hurt by machine. I might back out doing it myself.

Re: Question for moms who breastfeed

• Options
    Most people I know use an electric.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    I used an electric one, I didn't want to sit there and hand pump all the time. Once baby got the hang of bf I felt pumping to be uncomfortable and not bf.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you plan to pump during the times when you can't bf (like at work), then an electric pump will definitely be the most efficient. And for the record, for most people, neither bf'ing nor pumping will hurt. Will it be comfortable and enjoyable? Not really. But will it be painful? No (at least not for most people). So please try to wipe that thought from your mind.

• Options
    Will you be working? If you are, you will want a double electric pump. I also had a medela single manual pump that I really liked, even more than my electric pump. If you aren't returning to work that would work. Breadtfeeding for me hurt the first couple weeks, a lot. But after that I had no pain with breastfeeding or pump.
  • Options
    Agree with the other ladies, breastfeeding should not hurt. The flanges on my medela hurt initially, but it's because I was using the wrong size. If it hurts when you pump, try a different size flange. In general, a double electric is the way to go, but I also have a single manual. It's super portable, easy to pack for travel, and easy to use.
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • Options
    I used the Medela Pump in Style double electric pump, as a SAHM. Breastfeeding was really difficult and painful for me, but pumping was super easy and pain free. I really liked the pump I had.
  • Options
    I agree breastfeeding doesn't hurt after the first two weeks. If it hurts after that, something needs a change - because it shouldn't hurt. Double electric is a must. Hand pump can be nice if you just need to take out at ounce to make it to the next feeding (e.g., oversupply or baby is sleeping longer). I always found the electric was easier no matter the situation. And a must for pumping full feedings, like at work.
  • Options
    If it hurts, something isn't right. There are a ton of lactation consultants now that can help you if you have any problems. Usually their services are free through hospitals. If you plan on going back to work full-time, you'll need a double electric. I also high recommend a good single manual to throw in your bag or to keep at home for times when you just need a little relief. (Love love love the Medela Harmony!)

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    I agree that a double electric is the way to go, especially if you will be pumping at work. Breastfeeding did hurt at first until I got used to it. Once I started pumping that also hurt, but I figured out that I was using the wrong size flanges - same as pp. Once I got the right size all was good. If pumping hurts, try a different size, and be aware that it goes by your nipple size, not your boob size!
  • Options
    My trick with breastfeeding was I wiggled my toes every time I latched baby on. It distracts your mind a little from the pain. Deep breaths help as well.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers pregnancy calendar
  • Options
    Breastfeeding only hurt for the first two or so days. My nipples were a bit raw. But then everything was fine and I found it enjoyable until I stopped at 2 years. Breast pumping was neither painful nor comfortable, it just was.
  • Options
    If breastfeeding hurts then baby is probably not latched on right. There are creams for your nipples if they get sore etc. Pumping is also not painful unless you let your breasts get so engorged that there's too much milk and you have to express it. I used a self pumping one with my first and it was a pain. My arm hurt so much! I produced so much and I personally had to pump every 2 hours even after a feed. An electric one is the way to go. I also used a medela one.
  • Options
    Just an explanation of a previous post above where I wrote breastfeeding was painful for me:
    OP, I agree with other PP's that breastfeeding should not be painful after you get the hang of it. I was seeing a lactation consultant every other day, and baby was latching correctly. My issues had to do with my milk not coming in right away, not producing enough, etc. I exclusively pumped after trying to bf for 2&1/2 weeks, so I can't really speak to breastfeeding. I can tell you that my electric double pump was a lifesaver, for me.
  • Options
    Definitely a double electric! But I did have a manual that came with my electric pump for when we were somewhere without an outlet. Each person is different but as I was transitioning back to work and pumping and breastfeeding I found pumping to be a lot more comfortable. But I also had a sassy baby who thought it was fun to latch and then yank her head away. OUCH! :P
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with my first one, I was told never to cheap out on a pump or a rocker. And they were definitely right!

**MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY ABOUT PUMPS, A LOT OF THEM WILL NOW FULLY COVER YOUR BREAST PUMP.**

I have the Medela Freestyle and my insurance company reimbursed me back in full, and I was able to fill my bottles while getting a lot of other things done!
  • Options
    Breastfeeding shouldn't hurt once you get the hang of it, usually a week to two. Baby's latch is what makes it hurt and a consultant can hopefully fix any issue .

That being said, my medela double electric was a lifesaver for going back to work. Made it faster and more efficient to pump at work. Insurance paid for my pump or it would have been over $350.
  • Options

When I was pregnant with my first one, I was told never to cheap out on a pump or a rocker. And they were definitely right!

**MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY ABOUT PUMPS, A LOT OF THEM WILL NOW FULLY COVER YOUR BREAST PUMP.**

I have the Medela Freestyle and my insurance company reimbursed me back in full, and I was able to fill my bottles while getting a lot of other things done!

Yes yes yes about insurance!! Call yours to see how they do it. My doc wrote me a prescription for one, so I never had to pay and get reimbursed, it was just something they fully covered. Another tip, my doc wrote it for me at like 30wks, but I couldn't fill the prescription until baby was actually born, so I gave the prescription to my sister and she got the pump while I was at the hospital and delivered it to me. One less thing for overwhelmed new parents to do.