August 2015 Moms

To induce or not to induce

megasus919megasus919 member
edited August 2015 in August 2015 Moms
hi ladies. I'll be 40 weeks on 8/11. My husband is currently training for a govt job out of state. My dr has suggested inducing on the night of 8/11 starting with cervadil overnight and piticin in the morning. I've stressed repeatedly to him that I want to make sure it is safe and that it won't be a failed induction as my husband's leave will start on 8/12 and I don't want to go home without a baby.

I hear so many stories about induction. 50% of people say its fine and 50% say its bad. I'm torn. We just moved across the country in November and we don't have a network of family/friends to rely on so we thought scheduling made sense given all the circumstances. Am I nuts for doing this? So far I am dilated 1 cm and cervix is thinning out as of last Thurs.

Re: To induce or not to induce

• My doc wants me to wait until 41 weeks to allow as much time to go into labor naturally. This is for a normal, healthy pregnancy. In the mean time she checks fluid levels etc to ensure baby is still healthy/not at risk. Was this induction suggested by you or by your doctor? I'd say trust your doctors recommendation, however, If there's no reason to induce right away allow your body to progress a little more. I hear the extra time allows for a more successful induction. Good luck!!
  • There's just too many factors to know if it will work or not. A good number of inductions don't work so i don't think anyone can tell you it won't fail including the doctor. That being said, I don't think you are nuts for doing it if the doctor is suggesting you do. I'm being induced due to some high risk complications if I don't go on my own this week.
  • Loading the player...
  • How long is your H's leave? I know for myself, I would be shattered if I went in for the induction and it failed.
  • My experience with this dr has been that he'll accommodate anything as long as its within reason. He switched hospitals to one further away as of last week and had suggested inducing at 38.5 weeks so I could deliver at the closer hospital. This seemed silly to me so I said I didn't want to induce prior to due date. I was originally going to induce Monday 8/17 bc my husband comes home on wkends to help me but the current class in his training starts 8/12 and goes to 8/22. My dr said he would want to have baby out by 41 weeks anyway so we thought that since my husbands current class ends 8/11 we would induce 8/12 rather than have him go back to training and sit through half a class then come back only to have to make up the whole thing (if you miss one day you have to retake the whole thing). So the actual date was suggested by me but dr said that its perfectly fine and chances of failed induction are slim with the method he intends to use. This is my first and I'm scared of L&D and scared of going into labor alone but I want to do what's right.

Has anyone been induced at 40 weeks and had a smooth sail or a bad experience? Just looking for some support or maybe a slap in the face that I'm being stupid. Its not medically required at this point but would be easier than going into labor alone and waiting hours for hubby to get to me and would ensure that he would be making the most efficient use of his leave time.

• He is taking 8 sick days then he'll be working out of the local office until his training class is offerred again and then he'll have to make up the remaining 2-3 weeks out of state. We aren't sure when that will be yet.
  • amk013amk013 member
    edited August 2015
    That's a tough call. I'm scared of inducing because I've had a lot of friends with bad experiences. But, I've also heard good stories. I think it's really your call along with your doctor's advice. My doctor said she's inducing at 41 weeks if I haven't had the baby by then because she said nothing good happens after 41 weeks. I'm hoping it won't come to that for me. Sorry I'm not more help!
  • HuaylasHuaylas member
    edited August 2015
    Personally, I would not do the induction if it were not medically required (for pre-e, GD, or other factors). It doesn't matter that they have a special method- if your body and baby aren't ready then it is going to make induction difficult. I say this as a FTM, never having experienced this, but I have seen many close friends and relatives do the induction route on or near their due dates to have failed inductions leading to an unnecessary (but necessary due to all of the interventions) c-section.

I would really consider your options carefully, and know that just because you've reached your due date, you are not expired and the baby doesn't have to come out on that date. To me it sounds like you are scheduling for convenience rather than letting nature do its thing. Babies can't be given a schedule, and trying to force one in my opinion will lead to more issues than just waiting for it to start naturally. I totally get your scheduling constraints, but I wouldn't risk it. My 2 cents...
  • I have thought of that and totally understand that perspective which is why I'm torn. I guess what's weird to me is my dr is all for it and not providing any reason not to do it while I hear many arguments like the one you just presented. I've heard just as many positive induction stories as negative ones which is why I'm conflicted.

All cards on the table, yes, it is more for convenience but not bc I am sick of being pregnant, but bc I dont want to deliver a baby without my husband with me. I'm afraid of being alone as I have no idea what to expect.

• We are in TX and family is in FL or NY with visits already booked starting at the end of the month. So, no, family isnt really an option.

Hubby and I agreed on induction a while back but now that its imminent I'm getting nervous about it as it appears that is the way it's going to happen.
  • My mom always says, "when in doubt, don't!"
  • This is off topic, but is your hubby training for border patrol or customs?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No. He is training with the FAA as an aviation safety inspector.
  • Personally if I had a doctor willing to induce based on a scheduling preference, I wouldn't be seeing them anymore. That being said, I'm not going to pretend like I know and understand all the concerns of your husband potentially missing the birth, that would be awful. I can see why you're torn and hope you choose the right way for you. I personally would not choose induction and would hire a doula ASAP just in case but again, that's what I would choose and I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just what I would do.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I found out he was switching hospitals about 2 months ago I tried to switch as I was not thrilled with having to go somewhere 25 min away as opposed to 5 min away. Unfortunately, any drs who were accepting patients that would deliver where I wanted to were poorly rated and I didn't feel any more comfortable. My dr has very high ratings from his patients and it was hard enough to find him 2 weeks after I moved to Texas having nobody to seek a referral from. Maybe his practices aren't in line with everyone's philosophy but at this point he's all I've got unless I go to the ER and have my baby delivered by a complete stranger.

Thanks for the perspective ladies. I've got some thinking to do.
  • I was induced with my 1st 2. The 1st was due to being 41.5 weeks and high blood pressure. The 2nd was 41 weeks and my fluids we're low...we are trying hard this time not to induce. I want to be able to do this as natural as possible. Plus from what I hear that the drugs used make labor more intense. I don't know about uou , but I do know that labor sucks, why would you want it to be even more painful? Also, with induction there is a greater risk of ending in a c-section.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I found out he was switching hospitals about 2 months ago I tried to switch as I was not thrilled with having to go somewhere 25 min away as opposed to 5 min away. Unfortunately, any drs who were accepting patients that would deliver where I wanted to were poorly rated and I didn't feel any more comfortable. My dr has very high ratings from his patients and it was hard enough to find him 2 weeks after I moved to Texas having nobody to seek a referral from. Maybe his practices aren't in line with everyone's philosophy but at this point he's all I've got unless I go to the ER and have my baby delivered by a complete stranger.

Thanks for the perspective ladies. I've got some thinking to do.

Remember that at the end of the day, we are Internet strangers! I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I just mean that all anyone here can give you is an opinion, support/discouragement, or a personal story of how their situation went. *Most* of us here did not go to med school, so I'd be more likely to accept advice from a medical professional as opposed to women on the bump. Just saying...
  • Thank you. This does make sense. Ultimately we need to do what's best for us and our family. Just curious to hear others' experiences/perspectives.
  • My SIL was induced for 3 out of her 4 pregnancies. She was actually induced around 38.5 weeks due to her health and all of her inductions went well. I would probably go for it if I were in your shoes since you will be full term and I would be so bummed out if DH wasn't there for the birth of his child.
  • I was induced with DD using cervadil overnight and pitocin in the morning. We had a failed induction. If your body isn't ready, it doesn't matter what they do to try to get little one out. I was 39 4/7 when my induction led to a CSection. I always recommend against non-medically necessary inductions because mine turned out so poorly. I was 2 cm and 70% when induced.
  • Question, I know your husband is on training until the 12th, and you mentioned a leave. How long is his leave? I think only a couple days vs a couple weeks definitely gives more wiggle room.
    Good luck no matter what you decide!
  • His leave is 8 business days then he goes back to work at the local office until he has to make up the training. Not sure when that is yet. All in all, he'll be off from the 12th - 23rd.
  • Hmm. It's definitely a tough call. I would talk to the Dr just about what they see in terms of rates of inductions failing etc.
    Really just getting the facts to make an informed decision. I'm giving a decidedly non committal answer, mostly because you won't be "wrong" either way. I don't get a choice of induction because of medical reasons and I'm still hoping for a little choice in the day.
    But I think some questions like that and what they would do if the inducement failed may help you with a decision.
  • Maybe you could have a date set up later in his leave like the 18-20 for an induction just to give yourself more days to go into labor? I'm sure you do have a good doctor who is just trying to work with you. Has he said whether he would allow for it to be a failed induction or whether he would rather do a CS?
    Pregnancy Ticker