November 2015 Moms

Anyone having a csection

first baby and we are 26 weeks baba been breech for a month
I have a bicornuate uterus so my uterus is split in half so baby's on the right side only
Nervous about csection
For post recovery and getting back into shape after I work as a vet tech so I need to be able to go back to bending lifting etc
Heard recovery is painful
Thought or advice thanks

Re: Anyone having a csection

• I've never had a c section (ftm) but have cared for a number of moms after c sections who come in with infections at their site or difficulty healing. A few things contribute to this: if the incision is in a fold and if they're taking good care of themselves. Wash your hands frequently, shower as instructed (usually starting 24-48 hrs after to allow some initial healing), and eat a well balanced diet with plenty of protein to promote wound healing. Also, like the pp said, get moving! An abdominal binder (they should give you one at the hospital) can make it a bit more comfortable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Seriously DO NOT OVER DO IT!!! They tell you not to do something then don't. I was doing good felt great, week after section lifted something heavy and blew out my stitches. It was bad. My son was born on April 28 my incision was finally just healed by the middle of June. Hence why this will be my second VBAC. Can't even think about another section without cringing. Obviously if medically necessary I will do it. But I'll avoid it as much as I can.
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I will have a repeat c section with this LO. Like PP said, stay on top of the pain meds and MAKE yourself walk even if it hurts. Your recovery will be quicker. My friend told me her doctor gave her a compression band to wear. I didn't have one last time, but I will definitely ask for it this time. She said it really helped give her support while she was healing.
  • This will be my 3rd c-section, but first planned.

I definitely second everything @MollyC20 says! 

My first c/s recovery was awful and extremely painful. I think mostly because I stayed in the hospital bed for nearly 3 days on the epidural/IV pain meds and had a catheter in place. I later was told by a friend that it's much better to request to be taken off of those and put on oral meds ASAP.

Second kiddo was a failed VBAC and I followed her advice. Within 12 hours or so after his birth, I was up and moving around and on pal meds. The recovery after his birth seemed to be easier overall with getting up and moving around a bit.

Definitely stay on top of your pain meds and take them as soon as you can and NOT let them wear off before you take them again. After a few days I was able to go down to the rx strength ibuprofen just fine.

Bring loose fitting pants with you, as well as loose fitting underwear. It really sucks to have something snug fitting around your incision area.  

They'll probably tell you not to drive for 3-4 weeks after. You'll need to be able to slam on breaks if needed which can be difficult in the early weeks after a c/s. 

As for getting back into shape, I spoke to my OB about this. She said walking as it becomes comfortable (around 3-4 weeks) is fine, but advised me to not start lifting weights until 6-8 weeks PP. I'm personally planning on not getting back into my training schedule until January 1, which will put me around 9 weeks PP. I wasn't lifting or working out with the previous kiddos so I don't have anything to compare that to! I think it really just depends on your comfort level and how well your recovery goes. Good luck!
  • I'm 25 weeks along with my second who is also still breech. I have a bicornuate uterus as well. My first was head down the entire pregnancy so I was able to deliver him naturally. I've been trying to gear myself up for the high probability of a c-section this time as well. Thanks for all of the advice ladies!
  • Cheesesticksfor4- glad to hear someone else has a bicornuate uterus like me
    I have two cervixs too
    How long were you able to carry your son till I'm worried about going into ore term labor
  • This will be my 2nd c-section. My first, I did everything they said to do. I took it slow and easy, I was on my feet as soon as I could feel them:), and I kept the incision clean. I wasn't in too much pain with it. I never took anything heavier than ibuprofen. I itch with codeine(common side effect by the way) and I am not comfortable being loopy. Make sure you take the DULCOLAX. The first bowel movement was probably the most painful thing with my c-section. 

When you're at home, let everyone else do the heavy lifting. All you need to worry about if showering and feeding your LO. They don't need baths every day, only like once or twice a week in the beginning. Also, I'd start on some freezer meals, because you're not going to feel up to cooking and eating out a lot is expensive.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You're not alone aplcakes! I only have one cervix but we found when I was pushing that I had a septum dividing my vagina.  Easy snip snip fix.  I was terrified of preterm labor and miscarriage!  Every day I would go to the bathroom and expect to see the worst.  In the end God gave me the best birthday present ever (my husband and I joke that he will never be able to top it) and I delivered my son at 39 weeks 5 days with no complications.  He was in my right horn unlike my current little lady who is in the left.  I still have a lot of worries this time but I am more confident in my body after seeing that it's capable of "going the distance" =)
  • This will be my 2nd c-section too. I actually couldn't handle pants at all so I'd suggest bringing a dress and nightgowns in case you're the same. Plus I needed granny panties to fit over where the incision was.

I was also not prepared for the intense gas pain! I'll second the advice to stay on top of your pain meds but add to stay on top of your gas meds too! Getting moving helps move that along as well.
  • Cheesesticksfor4 how big was your baby when born
    That's great to hear heard a lot of people say they had 5-6 lbs baby's and that they made it to 36-37 weeks
  • All the PP had great advise, I just want to second the loose pants and underwear. They were my best friend after the CS. I also recovered fairly easily, no where near as bad as I thought it would be.
    The plus side of the new baby bump is I cannot see my CS scar any more and it you cannot see it is not there, right? :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Second baby and leaning towards another c section!
    My first wasn't to terribly bad tbh, it took a long time to fully heal and at first walking was really difficult but I also had medical issues around my c section which could have contributed to some of the difficulties after the surgery.

Walk as often as you can but don't push yourself. As said above if your told not to do something DO NOT DO IT UNTIL TOLD OTHERWISE BY YOUR DR. It gets annoying being limited but it's all for good reasons trust me.
    Keep incision clean! And wear cloths that will not rub it. It will get raw and sore if you Do.
  • aplcakes said:

Cheesesticksfor4 how big was your baby when born
    That's great to hear heard a lot of people say they had 5-6 lbs baby's and that they made it to 36-37 weeks

DD was 7 lbs 3 oz and was born at 36 weeks.
  • kmkrushi said:

This will be my 2nd c-section too. I actually couldn't handle pants at all so I'd suggest bringing a dress and nightgowns in case you're the same. Plus I needed granny panties to fit over where the incision was.

I was also not prepared for the intense gas pain! I'll second the advice to stay on top of your pain meds but add to stay on top of your gas meds too! Getting moving helps move that along as well.

Yes this! I had to wear dresses for a few weeks as the area around my cut just felt bruised.

As all PP's have said- take the pain meds religiously, don't wait for the pain to kick in each time because by then it's usually too late to help. And if you can, just rest for as long as possible. I would go for two short walks a day but in between I would be in bed or on the sofa. Remember it's surgery and your body needs you to look after yourself.

Also keep a pillow with you when possible. I used to have to squeeze one when I sneezed or coughed cos that hurt my tummy!
  • Little man came into the world at 39 weeks 5 days and weighed 7lbs 1.6oz. No complications. It can be done!
  • The first week was the worst as far as pain. But week 2 I was up doing more, cleared to drive. I was back in (comfy) jeans by end of 2 weeks. I returned to work (also as a vet tech!) at 7 weeks.

Do start moving around in the hospital. Do rest when you can, elevate your feet.

I only took pain meds for a couple more days after returning home, they made me feel to groggy and with getting up every 2 hours with the baby, it wasn't a good combo.

• Thank you for this, I'm a FTM too having a c-section. I'm shit scared but I am willing to do anything that puts baby's health first. My MIL, SIL and DH will be here to assist for the first 2 weeks. My mom is a teacher and around that time South African students are writing their exams. Week 6 I'm going down to my MIL's as well, and as soon as schools are closed I'm going down to my own mother's house. I will with no doubt have a lot of assistance, it's the recovery I was worried about because of all the stories regarding c-section complications I've heard.