TTC After a Loss

Progestrone Suppositories

Hi everyone,

I suffered a 10wk miscarriage in March and a Chemical pregnancy in June. I do not have any living children yet but hopefully soon we can have a baby that sticks. Both pregnancies it was found I had low progestrone then the doctor was liking so she suggested I take progesterone suppositories during ovulation. I did this month and swore up and down I was pregnant due to all of the increased pregnancy related symptoms however AF just came.  My question is if anyone has had success in the past doing the suppositories and getting pregnant? I am wondering if I should skip the suppositories this cycle so I can know for a fact if I get pregnant. Also I heard some women it delays or prevents ovulation if you take the suppositories.

Re: Progestrone Suppositories

• I'm on the same boat as you. I'm on my second round of Crinone hoping for a sticky baby. It only delays / stops ovulation if you take it before you ovulate. Make sure you ovulate ( use ovulation test ) then start. My doc said when I take the twelfth suppository that I should test and see if I'm pregnant. I hope it works for me too. Hugs and positive thoughts to you :)
  • edited August 2015

Progesterone suppositories can absolutely preserve a new pregnancy if the woman suffers from low progesterone in earliest pregnancy, before the placenta develops between weeks 8-10. However, losses can still happen if there is some other underlying issue, such as a genetic flaw in the embryo itself. What is important is that you use the suppositories as directed! You can run the risk of a loss if you need the progesterone and aren't using them as directed.

As for delaying or preventing ovulation, it is very important that you not start using the suppositories before you ovulate. Ovulation test strips can only tell you if you have a luteal hormone (LH) surge. A surge generally predicts that ovulation will occur within the next 36-48 hours. However, you can have a surge and not ovulate and then have another surge later, kind of like a false start. Doctors sometimes draw a blood test to determine if you have ovulated, but some OBs just assume you ovulate on CD14 like the 'average' woman. There is a problem with this approach, because a mathematical average does not accurately reflect an individual's experience, and in fact most women ovulate somewhere between CD 12-16, but many ovulate earlier and later. So, it is best to track your basal body temperature (BBT) using a program like that offered for free at FertilityFriend.com. Ovulation can be identified at three days past ovulation (3dpo), by the observation of three days of sustained BBT. After getting that confirmation, you can begin your progesterone supplementation knowing that you haven't started it too soon. The 3 days delay does not risk introducing progesterone too late, because the fertilized embryo has not implanted yet, as it is traveling down the fallopian tube towards the uterus.

I have seen countless women go on to have successful pregnancies using this method, once they were diagnosed with low progesterone.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies. I will try to wait until I see a clear ovulation last month I did it the day of the 1st positive OPK and was not sure if that was right. Hoping this month is my month.
  • My doctor told me to take them as soon as I get a positive test. Now I'm thinking if I should take them now? But I'm worried it'll be wasted since they're left over from my last miscarriage... I didn't start suppositories until I was 5 weeks with my last pregnancy but m/c 2 days after.
  • @mamabear119 I was told the same thing, start after I get a bfp. It looks like that's not the direction most people get...
  • I do have hashimotos and I think that's why my progesterone rises slower. My last miscarriage my progesterone was a 5.1 then a week later down to a 1. And my old OB refused to put me on suppositories. New doctor did it ASAP. Unfortunately too late. Do you have an underlying issue or just low progesterone?
  • They will not start testing until I have miscarried 3 times. Sadly they do not count my CP as a pregnancy and will only count my loss at 10wks. I am just guessing that may be the problem because with my first MC my level was at a 12 and they wanted it at a 15. The CP my level was at 7 then 2 days later it went down to 1 but they think it was just because it did not take.
  • knw007 said:

They will not start testing until I have miscarried 3 times. Sadly they do not count my CP as a pregnancy and will only count my loss at 10wks. I am just guessing that may be the problem because with my first MC my level was at a 12 and they wanted it at a 15. The CP my level was at 7 then 2 days later it went down to 1 but they think it was just because it did not take.

I hate when they don't count a CP... Anyway just speaking from experience you may want to check your thyroid if you haven't already. It's usually a big indicator of low progesterone. I hope you get your BFP soon. So sorry to hear about your loss ... :(
  • knw007 said:

They will not start testing until I have miscarried 3 times. Sadly they do not count my CP as a pregnancy and will only count my loss at 10wks. I am just guessing that may be the problem because with my first MC my level was at a 12 and they wanted it at a 15. The CP my level was at 7 then 2 days later it went down to 1 but they think it was just because it did not take.

And to piggy back on that.. I forced my doctor to check before miscarrying., why suffer through more losses if you can get get to the root before more losses happen.. Just my 2 cents ... My doctor did the same with me until I went somewhere new.. I just don't get some Drs.
  • Yea is it a special test because I get my thyroid check at my yearly physical every year and nothing has ever been said to me about a problem. My first pregnancy was deemed chromosomal so that's the furthest testing I have done. They are giving me until this month to get a BFP then they will consider testing and fertility counseling. I hope you get your BFP soon.  
  • I have been started on progesterone after 2 miscarriages. My doctor told me to take them on the 17th day of my cycle until I start my period again. And repeat. Or if I get a BFP then take everyday til 12 weeks gest.
  • I was on progesterone 3 dpo and got pregnant right away (1st month trying) with my daughter because of the brown spotting before and after my period. When we were ttc #2 my new dr didn't think I needed the progesterone. We ttc for 10 months, got a bfp, tested low progesterone and started suppositories too late around 6 weeks. I miscarried at 7.5 weeks. My first cycle after Af returned, no luck. I was tested at 7dpo that cycle and my progesterone was low even though my bbt was up. My second cycle we started progesterone at 3 dpo, and got pregnant. For some women, it really does help. Advocate for yourself and demand to be tested around 7dpo for low progesterone levels. Hoping you get your bfp soon!
  • I had a mc at 9 weeks in March my dr assumed it was low prog. Since it was 4.5 I just found out Wednesday I was pregnant again. Blood test reveled that progesterone was 9.5 I took progesterone (orally) last night and today I tested at 34.6! Thoughts and prayers for everyone!
  • Wow that is really encouraging. Hoping for a BFP this month if not I am going to go in for testing.