April 2016 Moms

Older Sibling Visiting Hospital

Hi ladies,
First of all a big congratulations to all of us for seeing those BFP!!!!
I was wondering what is your hospital policy in regards to having older siblings visiting the new baby at the hospital? I'm not sure if April is considered flu season since it varies so much.
I am an almost 2 year old who I am praying is able to visit us in the hospital.
Shelly

Re: Older Sibling Visiting Hospital

• Our hospital allows siblings to visit as long as they don't have a cough or flu/RSV symptoms. Our kids have always visited for a short time, except when DS2 was born. He was in the NICU and it was RSV season so no children allowed.
    Me & DH - 2009
    Gone but not forgotten: Identical twin boys born at 23 weeks - 2004 
    DS1 - 2010
    DS2 - 2012
    DS3 - 2014
    Surprise # 4 due April 2016!! It's a GIRL.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I remember last year with my son he was due April 7th but I had him March 29th. They put a no visitor ban @ most of the surrounding hospitals during flu season. If I remember correctly, they lifted the ban in the beginning of March. I live in upstate NY though. I was worried at the time that my parents and family wouldn't be able to come and visit. It was pretty strict. 
                                                                         Image result for i breastfed my baby 1 year

• Loading the player...
  • @smayville , we are also in upstate NY. Which part are you from?
    Shelly
  • I really haven't looked into this yet, but I have heard from others in my previous BMB that having the older sibling visit can be tough. My son is SO emotional and clingy with me that I might just skip it altogether. I'm just worried that eh won't care that much about the baby and will go into hysterics when he has to leave without mama. Still definitely deciding though!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Oh man I had totally forgot about flu season! I think April will be in the clear...at least I hope.
  • Ideally, I want my daughter to come meet her new sibling in the hospital. She is a pretty emotional two year old (I assume most are). She's either going to be ecstatic and not want to leave or not like seeing her mom with another baby. I think we might just have her come an hour or so before we are discharged so that we can all leave together.
  • The no children rule is usually only in effect for a week or two during peak flu times. It shouldn't be in April hopefully!

• @marchell87 we are from the Rochester area, you?

Image result for i breastfed my baby 1 year

• kyleec89 said:

Ideally, I want my daughter to come meet her new sibling in the hospital. She is a pretty emotional two year old (I assume most are). She's either going to be ecstatic and not want to leave or not like seeing her mom with another baby. I think we might just have her come an hour or so before we are discharged so that we can all leave together.

I love that idea!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • kyleec89 said:
    Ideally, I want my daughter to come meet her new sibling in the hospital. She is a pretty emotional two year old (I assume most are). She's either going to be ecstatic and not want to leave or not like seeing her mom with another baby. I think we might just have her come an hour or so before we are discharged so that we can all leave together.
    Ooh that's a really good idea! Especially since I remember the time right before leaving being SO BORING with my son. They kept saying they were going to discharge me and we were all ready to go but it took HOURS for them to get all the paperwork ready. A sibling meet up would be a welcome entertainment at that point!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • @smayville, we are in the capital district area
    Shelly
  • Jules08Jules08 member
    edited August 2015

The hospital that I delivered at with DS and am planning on delivering at for 2.0 is a dedicated birthing center; visitors are welcome 24 hours a day as long as they are not sick with something contagious.  They have an older sibling fun pack that they hand out as well.

My labor with DS was 26 hours long.  So we'll try and have him visit if it seems that I am going to labor that long again, otherwise he'll visit after baby is here.